Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens

Name
Holly
Edit My Images
No
beginner here!

Just wondering if the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens is a good len to get?
Im looking for a 'budget friendly' portrait lens if anyone has any other sugestions? :)

also what do people prefer prime/fixed or zoom lenses? and why?

hope too hear back from anyone!

Holly_r said:
beginner here!

Just wondering if the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens is a good len to get?
Im looking for a 'budget friendly' portrait lens if anyone has any other sugestions? :)

also what do people prefer prime/fixed or zoom lenses? and why?

hope too hear back from anyone!

I think it is considered a nice lens, I use the nikon equilivent and its great. I'm sure other Canon users will give their opinions.

A lot of people like primes because the look you get from fast lenses wide open. Also primes used to be much sharper than zooms but these days the difference isnt quite so apparent with high quality zooms. I still like primes but use zooms like the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 more often when doing weddings etc. Because it gives me more flexibility while carrying less gear and changing lenses.

But the 85 is still a really nice prime to use imo.

Last edited:
For the money it is a great lens, so go get one !
That said, I rarely use mine as I also have a 24-70 f2.8 and a 24-105 f4....
I take a lot of pictures in a school, so need to be able to zoom in and out a lot though I think most people will say that a prime is better for image quality.

I have a 24-70 f2.8 and recently got the Sigma 85mm f1.4. I love it, it has hardly been off my 5D2 since I got it..... The two below not great photos, but are just a couple I have to hand that show off the gorgeous bokeh....

f2.2
IMG_8378.jpg

f1.6
IMG_8385.jpg

Last edited:
get it! a lot of people rave about it! focusing is fast and length is great for portraits!

Thanks for all the help everyone I think I will defiantly get one :) but should I stick to the canon or get a 3rd party brand for a bit less? Is there much difference between them?

I notice you have a 400d, using a 85mm lens on a crop camera would give an equivelent focal length of 136mm. You may find this a bit limiting. I would consider getting a Canon / Sigma 50mm f1.4 over a 85mm f1.8 on a crop

Oh real but if I was to get either a 60d or 7d how would it go? My mum has a 7d and I love it... I hope to up grade in a few month...I'm only just learning and don't really understand that side of it yet so thankyou!

Get it, I've had mine for a few months and it blows my 24-70L out of the water at 2.8. Looking for a wider prime now.

Oh real but if I was to get either a 60d or 7d how would it go? My mum has a 7d and I love it... I hope to up grade in a few month...I'm only just learning and don't really understand that side of it yet so thankyou!

The 60D and 7D still uses a 'crop' sensor so you may still find the lens long. If you look at all of the responses here they are using full frame cameras (such as the 5D) that this lens was designed for.

Ohhhhhh really :( well I will keep pondering this thought thanks u have been heaps of help :)

Ohhhhhh really :( well I will keep pondering this thought thanks u have been heaps of help :)

If you want, i have this lens and will take a picture using my 5DII and 50D and show you the difference. The 50mm on your camera is equivelent to 80mm on full frame cameras and from personal experience much nicer to work with on a crop sensor camera like yours.

Lee

I use it on a 7D and for Head & Shoulder portraits it's great lens.

In the "old" days of 35mm film, the perfect portrait lens was said to be 135mm. Well, 85mm x 1.6 crop equates 136mm, so I have no issue using it for portraiture.

Steve

I've borrowed this lens off my Dad a few times, it's great on both FF and 1.3x sensors for portraits.

Craikeybaby said:
I've borrowed this lens off my Dad a few times, it's great on both FF and 1.3x sensors for portraits.

I use the nikon version on both a crop body and FF, its a great portrait lens on a crop body. Some would actually say its a little on the short side for a portrait lens on a FF.

85mm may be a little too long for portraits, especially if you plan to use it indoors. Have you looked at the EF-50mm f/1.4?

I bought one around 18 months ago. Spent so much time on my 5D that I ended up selling of my L zooms as I preferred the IQ from the 85mm. Also benefits from very fast and accurate AF. For the dosh, hard to beat.

I've got one on my 50D and dont use it as much a I should! Echoing those here who rate it, its a very nice lens indeed. I'm sure the Sigma is good as well, though I've not tried that... I must say though, I dont do a lot of portraits, but when I do I mainly use the 50mm, 85mm is quite long on a crop.

It's great on FF. Can't comment on crop. But I use the 85 a lot more than me 135, that might tell you something but it's the way I shoot.

Hope OP Holly doesnt mind me asking this question in here but it is very much related to this lens. Can any of you people who have the lens tell me how good the performance is shooting the lens wide open at f1.8? On both crop and full frame?

Back