Canon EF-M 22mm F2 vs Canon EF 35mm F2

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
This probably sounds like a bit of a daft question, but I was thinking about it this morning!!

I currently have an EOS-M with 22mm F2 attached most of the time (also have the EF-M 18-55mm), I also have a 40D with Tamron 17-50 f2,8, Tamron 70-300 VC and Canon 50mm f1.8.

I have just bought a 5Dc to have a play with, and whilst waiting for it to arrive I have been going over in my head which lenses to try. From my existing setup I can use my nifty fifty and the Tamron 70-300 VC. I'm quite keen to try sticking with a couple of primes on the 5Dc, so was considering adding the Canon 35mm F2 and 85mm F1.8.

I was looking at some of my EOS-M 22mm pictures this morning, and started to ask myself if it would be worthwhile getting the 35mm F2 for the 5Dc. Has anyone owned both that could comment on differences in image quality between the two? I realise that even though the focal lengths are roughly equivalent, it doesn't make them equal as far as DoF is concerned, but how would they compare for IQ?

Well you will have two totally different sensors so it will be very hard to compare. One good thing is that if you do buy the 35mm you can always use it on your Eos m (56mm equivalent)
Unless you are pixel peeping I doubt your going to notice any difference 'quality' wise as they are both great lenses.

Yes - I suppose, it is a bit of an odd comparison.

I was mainly thinking along the lines of my upcoming holiday. Packing on the light side is beneficial, but also, if I go out for the day I will take my DSLR and lenses, then also have my EOS-M around to give a second compact option - so in that case, leaving the 22mm on the M, with say an 85mm on the 5D would give me a bit of versatility.

Back