Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
well as the title says

never even heard of this. only just found it while browsing .. what im curious about is has anyone used /have /tried one of these. reason i ask is the price... just a few pounds over £200 new!

compare that to the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM which is more than double ( and yes i know theres a difference in f stops and slighty shorter ont he zoom but still!

the STM motor is whisper quiet and very fast. and tbh the f stop difference doesnt bother me in the slightest as id be using this primarily for landscapeand cityscapes so it would be tripod mounted.

ive been considering a new lens for couple of weeks now.. i currently have the 18-135 STM lens, the nifty fifty 1.8 and a sigma 70-300 APO DG.
my dilemma is i like to shoot both landscape /cityscape and wildlife .. but its the landscape cityscape that make me the money ( mostly cos my wildlife shots are frankly not up to scratch and pretty rubbish.

so ive been considering with an UWA like the 10-20 sigma or Tokina 12-24, or a big old 150-500 sigma , or finally 70-200 L f/4

but this has thrown a total curve ball because of the price.

well as the title says

never even heard of this. only just found it while browsing .. what im curious about is has anyone used /have /tried one of these. reason i ask is the price... just a few pounds over £200 new!

compare that to the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM which is more than double ( and yes i know theres a difference in f stops and slighty shorter ont he zoom but still!

the STM motor is whisper quiet and very fast. and tbh the f stop difference doesnt bother me in the slightest as id be using this primarily for landscapeand cityscapes so it would be tripod mounted.

ive been considering a new lens for couple of weeks now.. i currently have the 18-135 STM lens, the nifty fifty 1.8 and a sigma 70-300 APO DG.
my dilemma is i like to shoot both landscape /cityscape and wildlife .. but its the landscape cityscape that make me the money ( mostly cos my wildlife shots are frankly not up to scratch and pretty rubbish.

so ive been considering with an UWA like the 10-20 sigma or Tokina 12-24, or a big old 150-500 sigma , or finally 70-200 L f/4

but this has thrown a total curve ball because of the price.

review here:

just watchin it myself, its damned good, aside from the plastic but it does what my tokina 11-16mm does at less than half the price. I'd say go for it.

think it would fit nicely alongside my 18-135stm too... found it on hdew for £215 so really its a no brainer.. just a shame i dont have the funds right now as im off on hols in 2 weeks and this would have been great to take with me...off to see what i have to sell!

It's a brand new design which is probably why you haven't seen much said about it yet :)

all the reviews certainly look promising and the pro's def outweigh the cons on it ( plastic mount and the f4-5.6 ) and having used STM lems for several months im more than happy with how the STM motor and focusing performs.

all the reviews certainly look promising and the pro's def outweigh the cons on it ( plastic mount and the f4-5.6 ) and having used STM lems for several months im more than happy with how the STM motor and focusing performs.
agree, i dont see F4-5.6 being an issue, its not as if you'd want to shoot a wide-angle landscape at f2.8, the only time i use 2.8 on the tokina is for the crazy distortions on close ups of specific subjects (cars), otherwise its F11+ . Shame it didn't come out last year, I could have got one of these plus a macro lens for the same money as the tokina when it came out. I do like the build on the tokina though, even if it is a bit noisy focussing.

Hadn't seen this lens before and would really like to get one to try. Thanks for nothing OP! More money to be spent.

Don't push it Dean, SWMBO will be asking me where I got the idea for more gear from and I'll point her squarely at your door. She has a very specific set of skills, skills that she's acquired over a long career.....

Back