Canon ef-s 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anybody here got experience of this?

I wasn't aware of it until this week, having not really taken much notice of new kit since last year.

I've been looking to upgrade my 18-55 kit lens that came with my 50D.

I have one... Its fantastic :) (but then I would say that)

• It isn't as fast as the 17-55 2.8 but has longer reach and wider coverage
  • It does have great image quality and is really nice and sharp.
  • It is much better than any of the other alternatives.

Thing to consider:-

Most expensive is the 17-55 2.8 followed by the 15-85 both of which cost quite a lot more than the 17-85 or third party alternatives

Photo Plus Canon edition has a test in it this month of these lenses.

What is your budget and what do you want the lens for ?

As I said I've been considering upgrading the kit lens that came with my 50D.

I like the idea of the 17-55 f2.8 but not the price. I like the range of the 15-85 and can get it at a good price from simply electronics.

Otherwise I've been thinking about a 17-40 f4L

Try Kerso for a price as well...

Have a look at your pictures, what mm do you normally shoot at ?
Do you sometimes wish you could zoom in more?
Are you always shooting close up and wide?

Think about what you will use it for.. that will tell you what coverage you need.

The 17-40 I discounted as it was pretty short and I wanted the length of the 15-85.

Oh and as a btw they are all much heavier than the kit lens.... be prepared.... They do however feel nicely balanced on the bigger cameras

Good luck

I think I'd find the 17-40 a bit short, and even though it is an L it gets mixed reviews.

I would like the build quality I'm sure, my other lens is the 70-200 f4L IS

I shoot quite a lot with that, and also with the kit lens I have. I would like something a bit wider for on board ships, and the idea of having a lens that goes from wide up to beyond the start of my 70-200 is good, if the build quality isn't going to disapoint.

Its definitely an improvement over the lens its sort of replacing, the 17-85mm, that lens was particularly average, which was a shame, because its an ideal lens focal length wise for a general walkaround lens, but optically, it fell short.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-15-85mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

If you like the 17-55mm f2.8 have you though about the 2nd hand market? The 2nd hand price of that lens would be similar to the new price of the 15-85mm

Yes, I would certainly consider a 2nd hand one, but I haven't seem much at £480 the price of a new 15-85.

I've been all over the place tryi8ng to decide how to proceed on this one, I'm currently in discussion on a 17-55 f2.8 elsewhere, but if that doesn't work out I might just go ahead and buy the 15-85.

Still a little concerned about build quality, but it gets rave reviews on IQ.

The build quality is pretty decent... Not quite an L but pretty decent, and certainly on a par with the 17-55 as an EF-S

I,ve been pleased with my 15-85, build quality is good, much much better than the standard 18-55 kit lens, image quality is also a big step up as it should be for price.

With regard to Simply Electronics they are OK if you have no problems but it took 4 months for them to replace a defective 70-200L and only then after I got the credit company involved.

I,ve used Kerso for several purchases his prices are very competitive and excellent service.

I haven't asked Kerso for a price on this one yet, but I would before actually buying.

DId you get a price from Kerso? I am looking at this lens too, and you just can't find them secondhand.

Just got back from a long trip.

Yes, got a price and bought the lens from Kerso, rapid service arrived before I left.

I've not used it a huge amount while away as I find ships and cameras don't mix too well especially in bad weather, but in my limited experience I'm pleased I made this choice.

The speed isn't an issue as I don't do indoor shots, I like the range, I like the extra bit of width and I know I would have been frustrated by anything much shorter, so it's win win.

Thanks to all those who pointed me in this direction.

Back