Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM as a portrait lens for living room studio

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
I've already got a the nifty fifty f1.8 and I'm torn between lenses, I don't know what get next

50mm f1.4
85mm f1.8
Efs 17-55mm f 2.8 usm

I like doing portraiture of our little boy (3 months old) and the Gf, looking at shooting friends babies too,

I also want something that focuses fast for when he starts running about, I'm pleased with the clarity of the nifty fifty and wonder if the 17-55 can match it

I've got the 550d so crop sensor

Thoughts

Last edited:
I found both to be pretty close in terms of iq, but the zoon does of course lack the <F/2.8. Also, there is more pronuounced vinegnetting on the 17-55 @ f/2.8. Focus speed is fast on 17-55mm so no worries there.

I own the 17-55 and the 50mm F/1.8. The 50mm never gets used because the 17-55 range is just so practical, and the IS is magic.

edit: As you already have the 50mm 1.8, I strongly suggest you try the 17-55mm IS. Sell the 50mm to reclaim back some of the cost. IMO the 17-55mm is THE BEST travel lens available for a Canon crop. It is very sharp for a zoom, the IS performs great, AF is as fast as the 50mm F/1.8, and quality is pretty goof for a non-L. Go to Jessops or Jacobs and try before you buy.

The 85mm is supposedly very sharp but too long for general usage on a crop sensor. The sharpness of the 50mm 1.4 is not much better than the 1.8, but build is much superior.

Last edited:
I have the 17-55 f 2.8 cracking lens, bit on the heavy and large size though
was looking at getting a 50mm f1.4 not so sure now

Orville said:
I found both to be pretty close in terms of iq, but the zoon does of course lack the <F/2.8. Also, there is more pronuounced vinegnetting on the 17-55 @ f/2.8. Focus speed is fast on 17-55mm so no worries there.

I own the 17-55 and the 50mm F/1.8. The 50mm never gets used because the 17-55 range is just so practical, and the IS is magic.

edit: As you already have the 50mm 1.8, I strongly suggest you try the 17-55mm IS. Sell the 50mm to reclaim back some of the cost. IMO the 17-55mm is THE BEST travel lens available for a Canon crop. It is very sharp for a zoom, the IS performs great, AF is as fast as the 50mm F/1.8, and quality is pretty goof for a non-L. Go to Jessops or Jacobs and try before you buy.

Ive been trawling through flickr looking at pics with 17-55 and there are a lot of landscape shots, I'm looking to use it more for portraiture of family and friends. Ive made a little studio in my living using various Backgrounds and soft boxes and want use it for that too, that's why I like the 50mm... The 17-55 is big money so its a hard decision

From the info I have read and samples I have seen the canon 17-55 f2.8 is quite sharp when stopped down and a little soft wide open.

The sigma 50mm 1.4 seams better than canon 1.4

The sigma 50 f1.4 will be sharper at f2.8 than the 17-55. But both stopped down to 5.6 the difference would be a lot smaller.

But having a zoom may help to get the pic you might have otherwise missed.

Quite a few reviews I have seen say the IQ between the canon 50 1.8 and 1.4 is marginal the main difference is build quality, focus speed and improved broken.

Not sure I have really been any help

tris101 said:
From the info I have read and samples I have seen the canon 17-55 f2.8 is quite sharp when stopped down and a little soft wide open.

The sigma 50mm 1.4 seams better than canon 1.4

The sigma 50 f1.4 will be sharper at f2.8 than the 17-55. But both stopped down to 5.6 the difference would be a lot smaller.

But having a zoom may help to get the pic you might have otherwise missed.

Quite a few reviews I have seen say the IQ between the canon 50 1.8 and 1.4 is marginal the main difference is build quality, focus speed and improved broken.

Not sure I have really been any help

Focus speed with the canon 50mm f1.8 I find quite slow, that's why I was swaying to the 1.4 version, having said that it's hard to always frame the subject with the fifty...... So swaying to the 17-55

Then I started thinking with not much difference in cost I could get 70-200 L f4 IS...and make do with fifty

Decisions Decisions

Wish I had loads of money I'd buy the lot

Last edited:
Focus speed with the canon 50mm f1.8 I find quite slow, that's why I was swaying to the 1.4 version, having said that it's hard to always frame the subject with the fifty...... So swaying to the 17-55

If you are struggling to frame the subject with the 50mm and need a faster focus speed look at the Sigma 30mm F1.4 HSM. The HSM is the same as canon USM and the 30mm length would complement your 50mm. The 30mm is really pin sharp.

I have the 17-55 and I use it for everything, I have used it in my studio set up and also just taking pics round the house, it never really leaves the camera body at the moment, I love it.
I doubt you would not find it not to your requirements, I say just go for it.

spike

I had a 24-105 L and recently sold it to give me a better range match for the crop sensor on the 7D. The lens that I replaced it with is the 17-55 f2.8 (I also really wanted the f2.8). This is great for portraits - I personally like the range.

I previously owned a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. Not as good as the Canon, but great value for money. Can be had for £200ish on the used market. Depending on your budget it might be good to get this and pair it with the 50mm f1.4 (mainly for head shots though).

Kieran.

If you struggle with framing on your current 50mm F/1,8, forget the 85mm and the faster 50mm. That leaves the 30mm, 35mm and 17-55mm. I have not used the Canon 35, but the Sigma was a nice lens for the short time I owned one. The only problem with 30mm is that it may be a little wide unless you are very close to the subject.

I would still take the 17-55 over any other lens on a Canon crop for indoor shots. For outdoor, the 70-200mm F/4 IS is a peach.

Back