Canon EF-S 24mm STM

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
I happened to look around for this lens and the Park Cameras website seemed to indicate they had stock despite nowhere else having any. I was going nearby there anyway so I popped in and it turns out they had one left in their cabinet for show so I made the most of my poor self control and bought it :)

Seems to be exactly the same as the 40mm STM except in a more crop friendly flavour. I recently sold the 40mm STM I purchased when it was released since it never got much use. This definitely seems like it'll get more mileage :) Does anyone else have one yet? I guess people with pre-orders might have one already?

Here's a quick and dirty shots of the lens and a few taken with it. They're not exactly test shots but that's all I've managed to do with it in the last 8 hours lol.

The lens on my 70d

24mm STM on 70d by Phal44, on Flickr

The lens next to a battery for scale since I was out of Bananas...

24mm STM with battery for size comparison by Phal44, on Flickr

Just a little size comparison of the front element next to a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8

24mm STM vs 18-35mm F1.8 elements by Phal44, on Flickr

A quick shot taken with the lens at F2.8 for a bit of bokeh :)

Taken with 24mm STM @ F2.8 by Phal44, on Flickr

Not the best weather for putting a new lens through it's paces but I like it anyway :)

What Summer? by Phal44, on Flickr

Path by Phal44, on Flickr

I'm really interested in picking one of these up for a bit of travel photography, but everywhere seems to be out of stock at the moment. They sure are proving popular!

I bought one to use with my 40D.
It's an excellent all round lens on a crop body, very sharp wide open, BUT mine tends to back focus. I took it with the body to Canon CPS get them calibrated, but it still isn't perfect.

I'll use it for a few more days, in order to best know what's failing, before I send them to Canon again.

Etienne, did your's needed MFA?

I bought one to use with my 40D.
It's an excellent all round lens on a crop body, very sharp wide open, BUT mine tends to back focus. I took it with the body to Canon CPS get them calibrated, but it still isn't perfect.

I'll use it for a few more days, in order to best know what's failing, before I send them to Canon again.

Etienne, did your's needed MFA?

Can't say I've checked that much really since I tend to shoot in live view a lot with this lens.

I'm really interested in picking one of these up for a bit of travel photography, but everywhere seems to be out of stock at the moment. They sure are proving popular!

Yeah I had a quick check about and I only found them on DigitalRev so you'd have to be ok with grey imports!

This lens would be ideal for travel photography :) Maybe this and the new 50mm STM since that's pretty tiny? :D

No I use autofocus but liveview autofocus is generally accurate even it needs adjustment when shooting through the viewfinder.

Yes, it's contrast-detect autofocus, I believe.
The 40D doesn't have it, unfortunately.

Thanks. ;)

Yes, it's contrast-detect autofocus, I believe.
The 40D doesn't have it, unfortunately.

Thanks. ;)

Yeah the 650d and the 70d I had would let me touch the screen to focus too which was convenient! I prefer my 7d2 overall but I do miss that feature :)

Anyway, the focusing works fine from liveview :) I can't say I've noticed any obvious problems from the viewfinder but I haven't tested it with Focal yet so it might be a little out.

Ok, thanks.

I'll take mine to Canon, again, to check if there's something they can do.
I'm sure the lens is excellent, because if focus is nailed, the IQ is great. I just need to get them calibrated.

Cheers,
Luis

Back