canon EF-S 55-250

Name
jen
Edit My Images
Yes
does anyone own a Canon EF-S 22-250 F4-5.6 IS? if so please can you give me a honest opinion on it. Ive been on the web for three hours looking at bits and bobs. . . . . . . . .

Just tried this lens at Warehouse Express today, I was impressed with the IS, I found I could shoot at 1/15th handheld at 250mm. Haven't looked at them at on my monitor yet, but quite impressed so far.

It's also got some weight to it which makes it feel good in your hand.

does anyone own a Canon EF-S 22-250 F4-5.6 IS? if so please can you give me a honest opinion on it. Ive been on the web for three hours looking at bits and bobs. . . . . . . . .

[I think you meant 55-250, so I'll go with that ;)]

I've been using this lens for around six weeks with my new 40D. I should point out it's my first DSLR and my first tele lens, so this is coming from a fairly inexperienced user :)

Having said that, I'm mightily impressed. It came with a kit I got from Hong Kong (along with the 18-55mm IS). Focussing is perhaps a little ploddy sometimes, but the range makes up for that. In good light, you can get amazing pictures even at 250mm. I took a robin a few weeks back (pics in this thread. Make up your own mind but I felt that for the price, size and versatility, it's a darn good lens.

Hope that helps (y)

I was originally looking at a 70-300mm non-IS but decided to pay more and sacrifice a bit of distance for the IS and the hope that it would be decent quality. It hasn't disappointed me.

Just had one delivered today...:naughty:

pratical photogtaphy reviewed it this month overall

5 STAR out of 5

Just taken a (very) quick snapshot; upgraded to latest version of DPP, loading the picture, 'tuned' it, saved it as 6x4 and loaded it:

2398758865_b4509b4f04.jpg

Also a close up:

2399589548_2a0312efe8.jpg

Handheld with IS on. Looks good to me, given 5 minutes since it was unboxed!

Okay, here's something a little more 'real world'.

Not done much by way of processing in DPP, plus resized:

2400640349_4fba23a844_o.jpg

Full image : f5.6 1/100th @ 250m

It's a nuthatch...but then, you knew that, didn't you...?!

Yep, I think I do! :p

Haven't had a proper session with it as yet, and had no sunlight since the thing arrived, but I have managed some pretty good shots with it already - not quite to your robin standards, but it's only been a couple of days! ;)

I off work next week, so will try and give it a hammering, weather, wife and offspring permitting! :help:

[I think you meant 55-250, so I'll go with that ;)]

I've been using this lens for around six weeks with my new 40D. I should point out it's my first DSLR and my first tele lens, so this is coming from a fairly inexperienced user :)

Having said that, I'm mightily impressed. It came with a kit I got from Hong Kong (along with the 18-55mm IS). Focussing is perhaps a little ploddy sometimes, but the range makes up for that. In good light, you can get amazing pictures even at 250mm. I took a robin a few weeks back (pics in this thread. Make up your own mind but I felt that for the price, size and versatility, it's a darn good lens.

Hope that helps (y)

Did you do much post processing on those shots? Don't get me wrong they are very impressive but they have a processed look to me.

Did you do much post processing on those shots? Don't get me wrong they are very impressive but they have a processed look to me.

Did you mean mine...? If yes, the answer is some, but not a great deal. I've never really done any PP previously, and getting to know DPP just recently, so I don't have the knowledge to do anything other than move the odd slider here and there.

Those are straight out the camera! A little crop on some of them I think, but no sharpening or other adjustments.

That's a cool lens!

Back