Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM Macro Lens

shrimperblue

Suspended / Banned
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hey all,

Ive been having some strong thoughts recently regarding my kit setup.

I seem to have fast developed a strong passion for macro photography.

I enjoy landscape and portraits but macro is where it is at for me.

Can any one please tell me what they think of Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM Macro Lens and do you have any examples of the results?

I am strongly considering selling my L lens in the sig and getting one of the above.

Thanks,

SB

I don't own the ef-s 60 but I can tell you it is as sharp as a razor. I would imagine it would make a great portrait lens too on a cropped body.

Hey Alby, hope your well matey,

So it would be good grounds to sell the L and get one then.... :)

No, I would keep the 70-200L and try and save for the 60 but, I guess if you aren't using it why keep it.
I'm fine BTW thanks for asking, and you?

I have the EF-s 60 f2.8 macro, its a great lens I love it.

Here are a few macro shots I took the other day with it, drop me a pm and I can take some shots and send you the 100% size ones.
Chips_v3_0_by_mole2k.jpg

Chips_II_by_mole2k.jpg

I even made my own homemade bellows to get some mega magnification.
1:1 ratio, no bellows, uncropped
_MG_1027.JPG

homemade bellows, uncropped
_MG_1039.jpg

I don't own the ef-s 60 but I can tell you it is as sharp as a razor. I would imagine it would make a great portrait lens too on a cropped body.

I did have the 60 for a wee while, it was indeed sharp as a very sharp thing and I used it as a portrait lens as much as i did macro. If I hadn't have switched to full frame i'd still have it now :)

It's great for the type of macro work posted, but a little short for bugs, you need to get close to them which tends to put your shadow right over the creepy little critters.

Yeah I could imagine it being too short for a lot of bug work, the shot with the homemade bellows was very close focused and I did have the lighting all setup myself.

For static subject macro's it is a great lens though.

thanks all,

Im well thanks alby....still got the macro bug!!!

Seems like some nice sharp shots with this lens. Any suggestions on a lens that would be good for bugs etc too?

SB

Id assume something over 100mm I know the sigma 105mm and the canon 100mm are both great lenses.

digitalfailure said:
you need to add it to your sig Mole

Yeah i also need to remove the 17-40, i sold it before christmas :p

I'd consider the 100mm EF macro. It's got good cashback on it at the mo or see what the usual bods can do it for. Should be under £300. I could do with a Macro lens and think i'll go foe the 100mm purely to allow myself that extra distance between me and subject to avoid shadows etc. Being longer focal length will also help with less dop which can be handy. EF-S 60mm seems like a fine lens though.

I had this dilemma when I was looking for my macro lens.

I considered carefully the Canon 60mm, the Canon 100mm, the Sigma 150mm and Tamron 90mm macro. I quickly ruled out the 60mm as many people pointed out it was going to be too short for a lot macro work - especially insects which was one of the things I fancied shooting. On the flip side, if you were looking for a pin sharp macro lens BUT also needed it to be versatile enough to cover over things - like portraits, the 60mm made much more sense. As I already had the nifty fifty and the 17-85IS, this range was pretty much covered and the 60 wasnt for me.

In the end I plumped for the Canon 100mm macro and never regretted it! One came up here second hand but mint and cost me less than the new 60mm (but you never would have known the 100 wasnt brand spankin new to be honest - more than mint condition :D ).

The Tamron and the Sigma both get good feedback, but the Canon's do tend to hold their value a little more so thats worth bearing in mind.

You seem pretty keen on macro and if this is where your interest lies, I think you will find one of the longer reach lenses a better long term solution.

Allie

Back