Canon EF-S Lens upgrade - info/advice please

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a Canon 70D with an 18-135mm IS STM lens. What would be considered to be an upgrade? I am looking at image quality rather than speed, as all of my photography is scenic rather than sporty. Having said that, the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 has reported super IQ. Do IS USM lenses have better glass than IS STM lenses?

Thanks in advance
Simon

I had the Tamron 17-50mm (non-VC) and it was very good, I moved to the underrated EF-S 15-85mm and took some of my best shots. The lens I never had a chance to try was the EF-S 17-55, but the reviews are inconclusive for the price.

You will find it difficult to find an upgrade lens which covers the focal range you have. So you need to decide which focal length is the most important i.e the wider range or the longer range. The 15-85 is indeed an underrated lens. However real upgrades at the wider range would be the Canon 24-105L, the Sigma 24-105 or the Tamron 24-70. If you want the longer range then the Canon 70-200L or 70-300L. I have used all these lenses over the years and they are all very capable lenses.

The cheapest option would be the 15-85 and after that it can get significantly more expensive. Do you have a budget in mind.

I have no budget in mind at the moment. The 15-85mm is the better focal range for me. Would I notice any difference in IQ between this an what I have now? Is it better glass?

The ef 24-105L (i or ii) would be a good upgrade in iq and it's weather sealed. But it might not be wide enough (although I've never really found it a problem).

I suggest think about what it is you want the upgraded glass to give you. It is shallower shallower of field, more zoom, wider view..? I also have the 15-85 and a 70D and i’ve always been happy with the image quality and that lens in the one that spends 80% of its time on the camera. But for me it was the upgrade from the kit 18-55mm. It sounds like you have a decent walkabout lens, will you distinguish an improvement in image quality? I have tended to buy new glass for a specific objective.

It is shallower shallower of field, more zoom, wider view..?

I think he probably means IQ, as in less distorting, sharper in the corners, less flare, low color fringing, less vignetting. That sort of IQ

Exactly that.
Fair points all, all I’m suggesting is personally I have never looked at one of my images and noticed or thought they were issues that I would buy a new lens to address, and I don’t really shoot with high end kit. With the exception of purchasing a lens for astro where stars are distorted in the outer areas in some lenses. DoF, etc. is what I have bought for. If these issues are that you feel you have problems with in your images then yes an upgrade may be beneficial. It may be I have a lot of distorted, flared images I have never realised:)

As others have said - there's no direct replacement; purely because the large zoom range on your lens is the reason the IQ is less than perfect.

The Canon 17-55 2.8IS is the 'best' std zoom for Canon crop, to save a bit of money the Tamron equivalent is good too.

If you spend a lot of time at the long end of that zoom, supplement the better zoom with a fixed focal length telephoto the 85mm and 100mm are bargain prices, the 135 a bit more money, but an awful lot of lens.

Thank you all. I understand there is no "direct" replacement, focal length wise, I was just wondering/enquiring about Canon/Canon fit lenses which might give an overall sharper, more contrasty (if that is a word) image.

Thank you all. I understand there is no "direct" replacement, focal length wise, I was just wondering/enquiring about Canon/Canon fit lenses which might give an overall sharper, more contrasty (if that is a word) image.
If you want even better than the Canon 17-55 there’s the Sigma 18-35 1.8 used by many pros who shot crop.

Back