Canon EF2x II Extender

Edit My Images
No
First off, I'd just like to say hello:wave:

Happy New Year

I recently got a 70-200mm f4 L series lens for my 400d and soon I'd like to get a teleconverter/extender and see Canon do 2, the EF1.4x II and the EF2x II. Are these compatible with the 400d and the aforementioned lens?

Thanks
Jon

They will both fit on the 400D but with the 2X you will lose Auto Focus, as the 400D will not Auto Focus at F8 (you lose 2 stops)

F8 with the 2x could also you mean you'll need fairly decent light to shoot anything that moves.

Also the Canon ones are fairly pricey (but debatably better quality), I saw somewhere recently that Jessops had the Sigma 1.4 extender on for something like £50.

In practise, it boils down to either the Canon 1.4x, or Kenko Pro 300 1.4x which is also highly regarded, and a lot less expensive.

Avoid 2x extenders/teleconverters, and any cheap ones - optically they are just not up to it and if you're used to the lovely quality that normally comes through the 70-200mm L, you'll quickly learn to hate tehm. And as mentioned, with a 2x at f/8 on that lens (two stops loss) you'll lose autofocus.

Richard.

I used a Kenko 2x TC with a Canon 70-200 F/2.8 and you wouldn't think the shots were taken with the same lens. Extreme loss of colour and sharpness. I've used a Canon 1.4x TC with a Canon 70-200 F/4IS with very good results. The 2x convertors are best left for top of the range prime lenses

I have just gone through some of my photos from a trip to the farne islands.
I only had a 70-200 F2.8 IS lens and a 2x convertor, by the end I could tell the shots where I had used the 2x (A Sigma EX) over the ones where I hadn't quite easily due to lack of sharpness and contrast.

great post and it looks like I will not bother getting the canon x2 converter which I was looking at for this year to go with a 100-400L or 300L. I currently own the keneko pro300 so will stick with that. now what can I spend my money on (y)

Back