Beginner Canon EOS 1000D from CashCoverters!

Name
Elizabeth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi:)! A friend tipped me off about cameras at CashCoverters - never been in before but I had a look! (I don't really like the concept of CashConverters.)

I saw a Canon EOS 1000D - came out in 2008, I believe - I've read reviews. It's complete with a lens - don't know details. It's £99. There's a 6-month guarantee.

I do:

1. Birdies in the garden/village/anywhere
2. Ducks/swans on The Severn
3. Churches/old buildings/landscapes
4. Low light stuff/sunrises/sunsets (When I told a friend about 'Low light', he heard 'Low life':D! He's a liitle hard-of-hearing!)
5. The sea

I only do people and portraits when I have my arm twisted;)!

Any opinions welcome! Thank you!

Hi, I've got the 1100d, the model after the 1000d. I think the specs are pretty much the same. It'll do everything you mention, although bird shots will be tricky if its just the kit lens. Ducks and swans will be easier than say bluetits, as you can get closer.
I'm not sure that £99 for just the camera & kit lens is particularly cheap though, but the guarantee makes it bit more appealing.
I would say if you're after a good first camera then it seems good to me.

What camera and lenses do you have at the moment?

If you're tempted why not? :) as Mike says it might not be a super bargain. For example I picked up a 700d with kit lens for not much more recently.

Thanks very much for all the replies:)!

@Richard - I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ55 compact camera; a Mamiya film camera from the 1980s; an Olympus mju ii (film); a Canon Ixus 105 and a Canon Powershot A40, 2003 (£5 from a charity shop - great buy!) I'm a dSLR virgin;)!

@ Mike C and Newbie 1 - info very much appreciated! I shall keep an eye on what they get in. Where did you pick up the 700D, if you don't mind my asking, Newbie?

@Eltheza I'm living in Switzerland and found it in a second hand shop in Zurich.

Only £99 to loose.

Give it a go...

But just beware the camera might not be in good condition...

Mj

Yes, check the condition. Does it come with a lens also?

If it comes with a kit lens, and is in good condition, go for it!

MPB photographic have one body only in great condition for £130ish

@Mark - Thanks:)!

@Richard - Yes, it has a lens! I don't know the specs yet! Thank you!

I'd guess it's worth a try at that price. I'd check other second hand equipment sites as well though.

Hi:)! A friend tipped me off about cameras at CashCoverters - never been in before but I had a look! (I don't really like the concept of CashConverters.)

I saw a Canon EOS 1000D - came out in 2008, I believe - I've read reviews. It's complete with a lens - don't know details. It's £99. There's a 6-month guarantee.

I do:

1. Birdies in the garden/village/anywhere
2. Ducks/swans on The Severn
3. Churches/old buildings/landscapes
4. Low light stuff/sunrises/sunsets (When I told a friend about 'Low light', he heard 'Low life':D! He's a liitle hard-of-hearing!)
5. The sea

I only do people and portraits when I have my arm twisted;)!

Any opinions welcome! Thank you!

I just went quickly to their website, but couldn't find the offer you mentioned, ( see link below). Is £99 just an in-store purchase?

http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-items?search=canon+1000d&categoryID=x&submit=

Thanks, Angelo:)!

@Alan - yes, I suppose it must be:confused:. I meant to look at the website but I forgot;)!

I started on that camera and it's a great starter, only thing I'd add to the above is check that the lens (assuming it's the 18-55 kit lens) is the IS version (Image Stabilisation) as it's far superior to the older non-IS lens

Thanks very much, Steve! I'll bear that in mind:)! I've made a note!

Back