Canon EOS 1D Mark iv

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_IV

The EOS-1D Mark IV is a professional 16.1 effective megapixels digital single lens reflex camera (DSLR) camera body produced by Canon. The EOS-1D Mark IV is the successor of the Canon EOS-1D Mark III and was announced on October 20, 2009, just four days after Nikon announced the D3s. It is the first Canon APS-H format DSLR to feature HD video recording at 1080p resolution.

I would be right in thinking then that the EOS 1D would be the daddy in terms of shooting fast motorsport due to its high FPS (10) along with 45 focus points or is their a better option, not talking cost here just best camera for the job, oh and I am talking Canon only (sorry Nikon lovers :D)

Your assumption about its "daddyism" is spot on.

Bob

oh right sorry that means it cant be beat and it has the ultimate of high iso and picture quality, is there no other canon that has better pic quality.
No Scott, it doesn't mean that it has "the ultimate of high iso and picture quality". It means it's the best offering with 10fps and 45 focus points....in fact it's the only offering.

I simply tried to answer the OP's question :shrug:

Bob

No Scott, it doesn't mean that it has "the ultimate of high iso and picture quality". It means it's the best offering with 10fps and 45 focus points....in fact it's the only offering.

I simply tried to answer the OP's question :shrug:

Bob
will the 1d mk111 do 10fps and have the same af system near as dam it, but cost alot less if its for motorsport you dont really use high iso so surely it would do the job just as well,
will but out know wasnt trying to start an arguement so sorry if it came across that way. enjoy which other you get.

Ruffy said:
I would be right in thinking then that the EOS 1D would be the daddy in terms of shooting fast motorsport due to its high FPS (10) along with 45 focus points or is their a better option, not talking cost here just best camera for the job, oh and I am talking Canon only (sorry Nikon lovers :D)

I wouldn't use all 45 AF points for motorsport though!

jonneymendoza said:

why???

More chance of it locking onto something other than the subject, first on the list of motorsport schoolboy errors.

scottthehat said:
i know that, center point all the way. and i have 102 points to pick from and thats just from my nikons:LOL:

Sorry, I was replying to johnnymendozas post who said he would use all 45 AF points! I should have quoted it!

Last edited:
will the 1d mk111 do 10fps and have the same af system near as dam it, but cost alot less if its for motorsport you dont really use high iso so surely it would do the job just as well,
will but out know wasnt trying to start an arguement so sorry if it came across that way. enjoy which other you get.

No problem Scott. The post I answered only specified "1D" without mention of which Mk so I answered accordingly....ie, didn't mention which version and generalised about the 1D series.
The MkII, MkIIn, MkIII and MkIV will all perform the task in hand. My personal view (not fact) is that the MkIII produces the most pleasing results up to Iso 1600 if the AF challenge isn't extreme (I don't consider motorsport to be extreme). Night sports and subjects which challenge the AF (small birds in flight etc) would see the MkIV as a more potent tool.

Bob

I just stick with centre point although with custom function set to have neighbouring AF points active. Can't speak for motorsport but it helps with things like unpredictable bird flight.

No problem Scott. The post I answered only specified "1D" without mention of which Mk so I answered accordingly....ie, didn't mention which version and generalised about the 1D series.
The MkII, MkIIn, MkIII and MkIV will all perform the task in hand. My personal view (not fact) is that the MkIII produces the most pleasing results up to Iso 1600 if the AF challenge isn't extreme (I don't consider motorsport to be extreme). Night sports and subjects which challenge the AF (small birds in flight etc) would see the MkIV as a more potent tool.

Bob
fare point bob, and i can see what you mean, coming from a man that has used both its good info thanks.

why not? if all u will use is the center point, just buy a 7d instead

i have a d300 and d700 both have 51 point each and i only use 51pt 3d tracking for small birds that are unpredictable, which cars are not really once you know the racing line you should have no need for any more than single point.

jonneymendoza said:

You do realise that the 7d has 19 cross type af points and so is actually quite good outside of the central point, don't you? ;)

menthel said:
You do realise that the 7d has 19 cross type af points and so is actually quite good outside of the central point, don't you? ;)

Exactly. Get that for fraction of the price of a 1d

jonneymendoza said:

We've explained why? Just because a camera has features doesn't mean you need them for every shot.

Using 45 AF points for motorsport is the basis of a very, very poor technique for that arena of photography.

enough of the insults Mark, youre a bright enough chap to be able to debate without resorting to insults.

I've yet to learn all the tricks with my mkIV (bought second hand from this very forum) but it's peerless in comparison to my old 1D mkIIN which is renown for having trouble-free AF and good low ISO image quality.

There is more than one way to use all 45 AF points.

Number one is to use the "ring of fire" which I think is what people are saying is a bad thing.

Number two is manually selecting 1 of the 45.

I use all 45 but in situation 2 above. It means I don't have to focus and recompose. I also shoot with a 40D and the biggest thing I hate is the lack of AF points.

Now everyones shooting style is different but I think its wrong to discount 45 AF points as an advantage of the mark IV

Neil

That ^^^^ was my thinking off the 45 points, as others have said, it saves on recomposing, you just change the point and with 45 to pick from then there is every chance there will be one just right and no need to recompose

This may be a good time to point out that the automatic AF point selection (the "ring of fire" mentioned above) seems to work differently on the MkIV when compared to the preceding MkIII and MkII's.

This is my take on it although I stand to be corrected;
Previously, all AF points remained active and were illuminated if they encounted something on or close to the focal plane being tracked.
On the MkIV, once the AF system "thinks" it has acquired the subject then the AF point chosen and the immediate AF points surrounding it are the only ones being read.
Assuming I've got this correct then using 45 AF points for motorsport may not be such bad practive afterall (on a MkIV)
Looking down on a car on a track would inevitably put some portion of the tarmac close to the same focus distance as the subject and the AF system could react to this. The MkIV should acquire the car and subsequently ignore distant AF points allowing tracking to be more accurate.

Bob

da_nige said:
There is more than one way to use all 45 AF points.

Number one is to use the "ring of fire" which I think is what people are saying is a bad thing.

Number two is manually selecting 1 of the 45.

I use all 45 but in situation 2 above. It means I don't have to focus and recompose. I also shoot with a 40D and the biggest thing I hate is the lack of AF points.

Now everyones shooting style is different but I think its wrong to discount 45 AF points as an advantage of the mark IV

Neil

But we're (or I was) talking about it's use for motorsport as per the OP.

45 AF points all active and searching would be a hinderance for shooting **motorsport** but of course has huge advantages elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jim,

Your original post was

I wouldn't use all 45 AF points for motorsport though!

that then got the duscussion going on using all 45 points. What I am saying is that although you may not want to use all 45 at once, i.e. camera selecting automatically, it is still useful having the 45 to choose from for manually selecting an AF point.

I would have thought having 45 was useful for motorsport just not letting the camera select automatically.

I use the 1DIV for wildlife and find having the 45 really useful for birds in flight. If I am tracking a bird and using the centre point I can quickly change to one of the off centre points if the bird moves in the frame. Here I am taking advantage of the 45 AF points.

Your post that I quoted assumes the user is letting the camera select the AF point and is therefore (to me at least) quite ambiguous. I was just trying to make sure people didn't overlook the manual selection benefits

Neil

Last edited:
Back