Canon EOS 5 Ds r non listed lenses

Name
William
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks not been on the forum for ages.

I have ordered a Canon EOS 5DSr and am now having second thoughts. I own 6 canon lenses and 3 of them are on the list of suggested suitable lenses to go with the camera. Unfortunately 3 don't and I wondered if other had experience of this camera and non suggested lenses. My three lenses that are not on the list are:

EF 24-105 f4L
EF 17 -40 f4L
EF 100 - 400 f4.5-5.6 (mk1)

Any advice or information would be gratefully well received.

Cheers

I would hazard a guess that as these 3 are "old" lenses then they will got get the best out of the sensor compared with their more modern eqivalents

I've used the EF 17-40 on a 5D MkII and whilst sharp in the center it gets a bit soft in the corners. Presumably the 5DSr will make this more noticeable. It depends what your subject is though: not every subject needs sharp corners...

I guess it really depends what you want to achieve by buying the 5DSr: if you want to achieve the ultimate quality and ability to print really big, and you're not a sports photographer, then the camera is a good choice. My advice would be to see what kind of results you get with the lenses you mention and if you're not happy look at replacing them with higher-quality options.

My 24-105 was fine on the 5 DSr and there were no image quality issues that I could detect. Having said that I've purchased a 24-70 2.8 MK ll on here this month as it was a good price and on my wish list - I sold my 24-105 to help fund it and also felt the prices might drop with introduction of the new mk11 version of the 24-105.

I think you will be fine- I also have a mark 1 70-200 2.8L and 300 2.8L and I don't think they are on the " list" and they work well. I haven't blown up any prints large scale but the detail when zoomed in on screen is phenomenal.

I've had some decent aviation and surf photos but find the frame per second speed a bit slow and agree with Maarten's comments above.

It's a bit of a niche camera but if it serves your needs go for it...!

I have the 5Ds and when used with the 24-105 I had dreadful results. Never looked sharp and a lot of distortion compared with when used with my old 5D mk2. The lens was pretty old so that didn't help much. I bought the 24-70 mk2 to replace it and it's a cracking lens but I do miss the extra length. I can't comment on the mk1 but the 100-400 mk2 is the dogs danglies.

With a 50mp 5DS-R, the lens will be the limiting factor on image quality as at this level, the sensor out resolves the lens., This means that you will not get anywhere near the full 50mp resolution. The lenses on Canon's positive list are the best and will give the best performance on this body. For example, the 17-40mm f4 only resolves around 18mp while the newer 16-35mm f4 resolves 23mp worth of detail (DXO Mark). Interestingly, the very expensive 16-35mm f2.8 also resolves around 18mp, so you are better off buying the 17-40mm f4 to get the same resolution. Your profile says you already have a 7D, so you will see a jump in quality from around 8mp to 18mp, so don't worry too much.

They're fine, For example, the 24-105L is more than up to the job, it's just Canon snobbery. Look at some of the lenses *on* the list and it baffles me that the 3 lenses in question are not on it.

I've used the 24-105 on the 5ds and it was more than up to the task.

With a 50mp 5DS-R, the lens will be the limiting factor on image quality as at this level, the sensor out resolves the lens., This means that you will not get anywhere near the full 50mp resolution. The lenses on Canon's positive list are the best and will give the best performance on this body. For example, the 17-40mm f4 only resolves around 18mp while the newer 16-35mm f4 resolves 23mp worth of detail (DXO Mark). Interestingly, the very expensive 16-35mm f2.8 also resolves around 18mp, so you are better off buying the 17-40mm f4 to get the same resolution. Your profile says you already have a 7D, so you will see a jump in quality from around 8mp to 18mp, so don't worry too much.

Cheers - thanks for the response and info. As I said not been on for a while and the 7d is history as I moved to the 6d. Need to update profile.

Evening everyone,

I can't see any problems using older glass on the 5Ds/5Ds R at all. The main reason a lot of lenses are not on that list is because they have been replace and are no longer in production, the 5Ds is on my list for the next body to be added to the kit.

I currently shoot with 2* 5D Mark II bodies and I have considered the 5D Mark III also but not the 5D Mark IV due to the cost, at the moment I am waiting to see which direction my work goes in during 2017. Lens wise I own only 1 that is on the list (Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM) the rest are older generation and it won't stop me buying the 5Ds if I decide to go that route.

Glass wise if interested I own the following.

Canon EF 24-105 F4L IS Version 1
Canon EF 70-200 F2.8L IS Version 1
Canon EF 24 F2.8
Canon EF 35 F2
Canon 50 F1.8 II
Canon EF 85 F1.8 USM

Rick

Back