Canon EOS 5 MkII

Yes I did the centre focus point - the edge points are unreliable in low light.
But if you look at my image, the focus is not in the centre.
Focus and recompose is not exactly rocket science.

No, but it's unreliable with fast primes wide open or near and always leads to focal plane shift.

Look, I LOVE the files from the 5DII and as a studio camera or portrait/landscape camera it's a lot of bang for your buck. All I've done is point out the the OP the limitations so he is aware of them. Owners of the camera have felt a need to defend something I'm not attacking.

Well owners who have. The camera and use it day in day out have a better idea than someone who may have used it once or twice

Banging on? Duncan posted a shot with a glowing report and I asked if it was center point. If so you'd expect it to work, but it is a limitation as requires heavy cropping.

Yes banging on - your posts 3, 15, 21, 23, 30 and 36 each mention problems with the 5D2's AF. We get the message! More importantly, I hope the OP knows whether low light/moving target photography is a priority, in which case the 5D2 isn't for him.

How do you know how many times I've used it? I've also owned a couple of xxD cameras with similar systems.

Yes banging on - your posts 3, 15, 21, 23, 30 and 36 each mention problems with the 5D2's AF. We get the message! More importantly, I hope the OP knows whether low light/moving target photography is a priority, in which case the 5D2 isn't for him.

And still I don't know why this threatens you. If you don't like my posts stop responding to them.

I think your the touchy one lol
We get you have a opinion on the focus
Sorry to say

:clap: Right, back to the OP's question:

I have been looking at second hand or grey import Canon EOS 5D MkII bodies. It seem to have a lot of functionality and features built in along with amazing quality.

Would this be a good move for portraits, landscape, walkabout photography, with occasional movies?

I think you will have a lot of enjoyment from a 5DII and I can't think of any other camera in your price bracket that will do exactly what you are looking for and then some more besides. Ignore the jibes about low-light fast moving AF as you really don't purchase any camera with the intention of solely capturing Swallows in flight at dusk.

Would this be a good move for portraits, landscape, walkabout photography, with occasional movies?

Also I will need an EF lens to start me off. Is the 24-105 f/4.0 L lens a good starter lens?

Thanks,

Chris.:help:

To get back to the OP's "original questions", the 5D mk2 will more than satisfy you if portraits, landscape and general walkabout is your preferred shooting style.
The full frame sensor with good glass attached gives image quality and AF will not be an issue for any of the above either.

As for the 24-105 F4 lens, this is a good alround lens with a decent amount of zoom and some wide angle too.
Wide open at F4 it can be a bit soft at the edges but stopped down to f5.6/8 it becomes pin sharp.
At 24mm you can sometimes get slight vignetting but this is easily remeded in photoshop or the likes of.

Try not to be put off by some of the previous comments. If what you say you will use it for is true, then it will serve you well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember light room is great for removing a lot of lens problems, on click you can make it look great

got 2mark II's and they create incredible images paired with decent glass, 95% of the time focusing isn't a problem but as stated you can either fall back on centre point or if you are really struggling use AF assist on a flashgun without it firing. Can get some amazing lenses relatively cheaply second hand with the change e.g. 135f2 85f1.8 and 17-40 for your landscapes which are stunning on this camera. I've got similar interests photography wise and this fits my needs. I shoot weddings with them regularly and I won't lie there are times when the outer points just miss focus but you can work around it.

Thanks for the volume of input produced in this thread.
It has not made my decision any easier though and I have found myself looking at the 5D3 and D800!

I will let you know how I get on.

I bought a 5D2 and 24-105 f4 L kit from Hdew cameras last november to add to a 7D and 550D (550D went to the wife). The 5D2 ended up being the go to camera 90% of the time as compared to the 7D it's fantastic, and that's not knocking the 7D at all. The 24-105 is a fantastic lens and gives consistant great results. The IQ is excellent and the AF speed is fast and accurate. The 5D2 on centre AF point with the invisible points activated is excellent and I got my first really good BIF shots with it and a Sigma 150-500 OS lens.

I have to admit though, I did sell my 5D2 (and 7D come to that) and the only reason I would sell it was to get the 5D3. If the 5D3 hadn't been released then I would still be using the 5D2 now as it is such a great camera.

The 5D3 price at Panamoz (grey import, great service) is well under £2000 (with 5% discount for bank transfer payment) and well worth saving for, but a new 5D2 can be had there for under £1150 for a body only and £1625 with the 24-105.

Back