Canon EOS 5ds vs 5d mkiv

Edit My Images
Yes
I’m looking at a full frame body, possibly to replace my 7d mkii, or as a second body. My question is how would a 5ds cope as a nature/wildlife camera, against a 5d mkiv? Given I also want it for landscape/architecture I suppose I’m after a bit of an all rounder? Thoughts please?

Just my 2p!

For an "All Rounder" I would look at the 5D4 or a used 1DX (especially the 1DX for wildlife). However the 5Ds/Dsr is a very competent camera with decent AF and a workable frame rate. The 5D4/1DX will win in poorer light but when the lighting is good the Ds/Dsr are hard to beat.

It is really down to which aspects of photography are your priority. If you lean towards wildlife then I would suggest a 1DX, for more static subjects then a 5DsR is my choice (but more than usable for wildlife) - if you want both then the 5D4 scores.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers John, that’s helpful. I’m contemplating keeping the 7d ii for wildlife, as I couldn’t justify a 1Dx ii. It sounds like a 5d mkiv is the way to go, especially as i do a certain amount of nighttime urban and I’d like to try Astro landscape (if that’s the correct term, stars with landscape in it!)

5d4 for what you suggest. Great all rounder, and if you have an interest in wildlife then the 5ds is only suitable for a certain portion of shots, and will be inferior in low light (i.e. most of the time in the UK!). You need top notch glass and technique, and even then will probably only notice the difference in large prints

Mike

Cheers John, that’s helpful. I’m contemplating keeping the 7d ii for wildlife, as I couldn’t justify a 1Dx ii. It sounds like a 5d mkiv is the way to go, especially as i do a certain amount of nighttime urban and I’d like to try Astro landscape (if that’s the correct term, stars with landscape in it!)

I was thinking of the 1DX, not the Mk2. Certainly the Mk2 is better - but more than good enough is more than good enough!
The 1DX is a superb - but heavy camera. If the weight isn't an issue then they are pretty reasonably priced these days.

I have no experience with a 5Ds but can say that the 7D ii and 5D iv is a good combination, I have it for almost the same reasons as you are proposing

Back