Canon EOS 60D

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I am shortly upgrading from an 1100d which I have had for nearly two years and my eye (and budget) is drawn toward to 60D, body only.

I class myself as an enthusiast, I shoot all types of images so need an 'all rounder' if you like. I want to stick with Canon.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome

Regards
Tony

Search for the canon 60D owners thread.

Pages and pages there.

It's an excellent body and ver underated by people for some reason unbeknowned to me.

I use them for my work and nobody has ever complained and they have never let me down so I swear by them.

Don't be afraid of the "plastic" body either, I have accidently smashed mine off a stone gateway with the big 500mm sigma attached and it barely left a scratch on it once I cleaned it up

I had a 60D for a while and it's a fantastic camera. I'm sure you'll find it a great upgrade to your 1100D. I really don't know why it get's knocked by some people. It's great for video work and with the articulating screen it's great for macro, above head height and live view shots too. I'd say it was my second favourite crop body I've ever had, only beaten by the new 70D I've got.

I ended up swapping my 60D for a 7D and regretted it. Although the 7D had a better AF system I much preferred the IQ, noise handling and the screen of the 60D. It was one of the biggest mistakes I've made with regards to camera bodies. I've now part ex'd the 7D for a 70D and that is one of the best things I've done as the 70D handles much like a 60D with the AF system of a 7D.

Gentlemen, many thanks for input, I am 99.9% sure it will be my choice, especially after your reviews and looking at Richard and Stuarts portfolios on Flickr
Andy, if you read this, thanks for the advice too when I saw you on Sunday
Will keep you posted, thank you all again,
Kindest regards
Tony

Hi Tony,

I have a 60D and a 5D3, as dalegt4 says the polycarbonate body of the 60D is very sturdy and feels very much like the 5D3 in the hand.

The flippy screen is great and its runs a stable release of Magic Lantern. With prices low at the moment I'd say the 60D is an absolute bargain!

As above the screen can be very handy indeed, for low down shots of subjects it is superb.

I genuinely think the 60D is superb... hence owning one, the handling of it is great, its fast to use and for the price of it there is nothing better in my eyes.

Its a phenominal amount of camera for such a small amount of money thanks to the 70D coming out.

The sensor is also superb at capturing detail, this is a massive crop of the moon from 5184 x 3456 down to 1672 x 1417 and still shows detail well.

You will love it for sure.

I can't add much to whats been said here - I used to own a 60D after "downgrading" from a 7D and preferred it, so much in fact that when I realised that I wanted a crop to go with my full frame I just recently got another 60D, really really good camera - love the articulated screen and the "it just works" feel, not to mention teh magic lantern support for such wonders as sound\movement triggers!

As mentioned here too don't worry about people saying its plastic - plastic it may be but damn solid plastic it is, it has a good feel to it even after holding a 5D3, so that should give you an idea of the quality.

BTW if you want a shed load of real life images feel free to take a look at my flickr profile in my signature, in one of the sets I've a set for the 60D (here for direct link to 60D set) - now bear in mind these were taken a while ago as I litterally got my new one last week so haven't taken much with it but there are 2000+ images in there as I used to post pretty much anything at all that I took! So in short there are family shots, macro, birds in flight (yes it can do those fairly easily too), you name it anything that appeared in front of a lens.

The only Canon crop that I'm aware that can better it is the 70D and while one day I'll get one they're a bit too steep at the moment, even on import they're around £700 plus while you can get a 60D for £400 or so so an absolute bargain.

Last edited:
Thanks John, sorry about the dely in replying, but been laid low with a throat infection, after looking at your images, I think I am now sold on the 60d.....Dale, love your image of the moon too.
Mind made up , thank you all again

I got a 60d as an upgrade from a 450D and was very impressed, I still use it at work on a daily and has not let me down.

I got a 60d this week and it just feels and works great, I did not think there would be much difference between it and my old d90 but they are worlds apart, the canon just feels better quality in the hand.

I'm also upgrading from an 1100d to a 60d very soon. Can't wait as the one time I've used one I was impressed. I just need to get myself a couple decent lenses to go with it now. Ideally something in a 100-400/500 focal length :D

I'm also upgrading from an 1100d to a 60d very soon. Can't wait as the one time I've used one I was impressed. I just need to get myself a couple decent lenses to go with it now. Ideally something in a 100-400/500 focal length :D

Probably your best bet would be a Sigma zoom, either a 120-400 OS or a 150-500 OS. They both sell from around the £600 mark and both of them are great lenses. The OS system is superb on the Sigma's and that was one of the reasons I stuck with the Sigma when it came to selling either that or a Canon 100-400 L as I only had 1 body to use them on.

Next step up is a Sigma 50-500 OS and a Canon 100-400 L. I've not used the 50-500 but it's supposed to be a tad sharper than the 150-500, not that I've had any sharpness problems with mine though.

The Canon is great as well, I couldn't really see much difference in IQ when I tested them, but the OS and the extra bit of reach was enough reason to keep it. I also found the Sigma would obtain focus for longer in failing light despite it being a 1/3rd stop slower.

There's quite a few shots with the 150-500 OS on my Flickr page if you want to see some examples.

Having had a 150-500, and now having a 50-500, I do find the extra 100 at the wide end very useful. And, yes, I do know there's a significant difference in price.

I have a 60D and have been really pleased with it,the flippy screen is of great use metering accurate and although the body is !Plastic" it feels really sturdy and has survived a couple of seasons pitchside at football in all weathers quite happily,As the 70D is now out the 60 is an even better bargain

Probably your best bet would be a Sigma zoom, either a 120-400 OS or a 150-500 OS. They both sell from around the £600 mark and both of them are great lenses. The OS system is superb on the Sigma's and that was one of the reasons I stuck with the Sigma when it came to selling either that or a Canon 100-400 L as I only had 1 body to use them on.

Next step up is a Sigma 50-500 OS and a Canon 100-400 L. I've not used the 50-500 but it's supposed to be a tad sharper than the 150-500, not that I've had any sharpness problems with mine though.

The Canon is great as well, I couldn't really see much difference in IQ when I tested them, but the OS and the extra bit of reach was enough reason to keep it. I also found the Sigma would obtain focus for longer in failing light despite it being a 1/3rd stop slower.

There's quite a few shots with the 150-500 OS on my Flickr page if you want to see some examples.

Thanks for the advice mate :) been looking at the sigma 120-400 I'd love the 50-500 but it may be out of my price range plus I've heard it's pretty heavy.

On a more on topic related note I now have the 60d and love it. Can't wait to use it in anger :D

Well, I've had my 60d for a couple of weeks, had limited time to use it but it is a fantastic piece of kit. I would not agree that it is 'Plasticy' at all, with my new 28-135mm IS usm lens it's quite weighty. I big difference to my 1100d.
Than you all for your input and advice, it was very much appreciated and went a long way to help me make my decision
Regards
Tony

I upgraded to a 60D from a 400D and I cant fault mine. Easy to use, great image quality, I dont often use video but when I do it is superb quality.

I too upgraded from a 400d and am really happy with my 60d. I have no particular desire to go full frame so the 60d offers a great quality option which is really portable too

Back