Canon EOS 70D error 20

Name
Lesley
Edit My Images
No
I have just bought a new lens for my Canon EOS 70D and went to try it out. First problem was the battery was dead and so was the spare. Charged one of them up and fixed the new lens but when I went to take a pic I got the message Err 20 and I couldn’t take a picture. Error advised to switch off and take the battery out and put it in again. This did not solve the problem at first. Change the lens in case it was a problem with the new one but again, no difference. Went through all of this about 5-6 times to no effect but suddenly it started working again.
The camera hadn’t been used for several months with the battery still in it. Is this a common error with these cameras? And should I remove the battery if I know I am not going to use it for a while? It is just under 2 years old.

Not a 70d but I've just had a repair done on one of my 1dx bodies for Err 20.

Just before Christmas I got Err 20 on the camera while shooting a football match, luckily I had a spare body. On getting home I googled Err 20 and one of the things I saw was a suggestion to do a factory reset - that fixed it.

Last week it returned and this time I couldn't get into the menu to reset - googled the problem again and the common view is that either the shutter or mirror box needed replaced - sent it off to Canon at Elstree under CPS priority and got it back early this week with a new shutter.

Cost was just under £400

Ouch! Let’s hope that it isn’t that. That’s more than I paid for the body, although it might still be covered by the warranty. I will keep a close eye on it.

After contacting Canon more than 2 weeks ago I had a phone call from them this morning, I explained what the problem is and that it appears to have gone away for the time being but I needed a reliable camera for 2 special trips in April and May. The lady recommended sending it to them for examination with copies of all the paper work showing that it still has a couple of months of the 2 year warranty left. They have even e-mailed me a pre-paid postage label so the camera is now winging its way to Elstree. Fingers crossed they can replicate the issue and sort it out.

Canon have returned my camera having replaced a faulty shutter assembly, cleaned everything up and re-calibrated just about everything there is to re-calibrate. They have given it a good old service as well all under the warranty so hopefully I am all set for the Himalayas.

Elstree are very good.

Canon have returned my camera having replaced a faulty shutter assembly, cleaned everything up and re-calibrated just about everything there is to re-calibrate. They have given it a good old service as well all under the warranty so hopefully I am all set for the Himalayas.
Great stuff - glad your camera was still under warranty

Well I was a bit worried at first as she was quite doubtful about a 2 year warranty but once I read out the e-mail I got from PC World a week after I bought the camera she couldn’t have been more helpful. All it needs now is for the temperature to lift a bit and the snow to stop so I can get outside and test the camera and new lens on the views we have over the North Downs.

Well I was a bit worried at first as she was quite doubtful about a 2 year warranty but once I read out the e-mail I got from PC World a week after I bought the camera she couldn’t have been more helpful. All it needs now is for the temperature to lift a bit and the snow to stop so I can get outside and test the camera and new lens on the views we have over the North Downs.
i would have thought these conditions would be perfect to try out your camera and lens if you are off to the Himalayas:D

We set off the beginning of May, when the temperatures in North Sikkim will hopefully have gone up a bit as I don’t fancy freezing my toes off there any more than I am doing here now. If I can’t pick up a distant Everest I will definitely capture Kanchenjunga as we will be staying quite near. All I have to do is make sure I take the right lenses with me and don’t drop the camera in the excitement.

Back