Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

Just dont my first manual kelvin white balance shoot here and sure enough in LR its showing the actual white balance figure minus 350 (so 7650 instead of 8000 etc etc). Not sure if this is a display issue or if it really is giving a lower colour temperature or not. DPP is fine.

:) Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback. (I'll change it to 350. I did wonder if 375 was just a tad too much, but I found it too close to call just by eyeballing it.)

Assuming you mean EV bias then on mine the directional joystick wheel does this in most shooting modes.
Try the wheel on the back around the Set button - but you may have to half depress the shutter first. That's how it works on the 5D3 in Av and Tv mode
The wheel around the set button button changes exposure compensation. Make sure your lock switch isnt in the lock position as that stops the dial being used.

Thanks guys! Got it, half press the shutter to meter and then turn the wheel around the set button to adjust EV bias. Enjoying it so far and getting the hang of the new layout.

Absolutely loving the 70d with the 18-135stm, so much more versatile than my old 350d. Does anyone here use theirs with an UWA lens? On my wish list I have to choose from:

Tokina ATX pro 11-16 dxii
Ef-s 10-22 usm
Sigma 10-22, either the f3.5 or f4-5.6 version.

The tokina is rated highly, but will I miss the range the others provide?

First foray into wide angle territory by the way, so strong learning curve I understand.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Absolutely loving the 70d with the 18-135stm, so much more versatile than my old 350d. Does anyone here use theirs with an UWA lens? On my wish list I have to choose from:

Tokina ATX pro 11-16 dxii
Ef-s 10-22 usm
Sigma 10-22, either the f3.5 or f4-5.6 version.

I use the EF-S 10-22 a lot (and do on my 550D as well). It's a very very good .

Thanks Michael & Richard, that's a vote each for the sigma and canon. The current £30 cashback deal makes the sigma an attractive option, although the tokina comes close at £339, which was at the top of my list on account of it's f2.8 and therefore I suppose better low-light performance. Just need someone to tell me why I should NOT go for the tokina...!

My dad has a sigma 10-20 f4-5.6. Used it a good few times before I upgraded. Really like the lens and can't really fault it.

Here is a pic from my 70d taken pretty much in the dark, 10mm iso 6400 @ f5.6 just the station lights for illumination

Bittern through Crewe 15th March with "The Cumbrian Ranger"
by scilly puffin, on Flickr

I like that from the lack of noise point of view in particular. My 450D wouldn't get anywhere near that quality at 1600 ISO.

I am looking at buying the canon 24-105 f4L to replace an older 18-135, has anyone got this lens and using it on the 70d? Shoot mainly portraits with a little landscape but not much! Am I right in looking at this or are there any other suggestions? I also use a 60mm f2.8. Cheers

I would imagine hand held. You wouldn't shoot something like that at 6400 otherwise.

I am looking at buying the canon 24-105 f4L to replace an older 18-135, has anyone got this lens and using it on the 70d? Shoot mainly portraits with a little landscape but not much! Am I right in looking at this or are there any other suggestions? I also use a 60mm f2.8. Cheers

Only thing is you lose the wide end, the 24 will effectively be 38.4mm on a 70d. There is the new sigma 24-105 to look at too if you were happy with the focal length range. Otherwise the stm version of the 18-135, or the 15-85 are other options.

Sorry to jump in on your converstion and completly change the subject...I am looking at buying the sigma 50-500mm or the sigma 150-500mm does anyone here use them on their 70d for wildlife? Which one would you recommend or would you recommend a completly different lens? Thanks in advance.

That's ok Kate, I have the 50-500 os and my brother has the 150-500 on a sony mount. Currently the 150-500 is a right bargain, £749 then £100 cash back from sigma!

As for differences, there 50-500 is said to be as sharp as the 150-500 stopped down to f8, but I can't say I have seen a lot of notable differnces between the two lenses.

Reasons I went for the 50-500 were

I got it for a bargain price new at the time and I wanted the 50mm at the wide end.

Both great lenses and I wouldn't be without mine and my brother wouldn't be without his
Sorry to jump in on your converstion and completly change the subject...I am looking at buying the sigma 50-500mm or the sigma 150-500mm does anyone here use them on their 70d for wildlife? Which one would you recommend or would you recommend a completly different lens? Thanks in advance.

150-500 either

Thanks for your help, I saw the cashback offer which is making it very tempting indeed! They both got similar reviews in a mag I was reading last night (can't remember which one) ah decisions, decisions! :)

My 70D is getting delivered tomorrow :) I'm upgrading from a 40D that I've had for a few years now, before that I had a 1000D.

Kate, I had a Sigma 150-500 OS that worked brilliantly with my 5D3 but the photos just didn't seem as 'crisp' with my 70D. I'm sure it's down to pixel density and maybe I've been spoiled with the IQ of the 5D3 but I decided to give my wife the 150-500 OS (so I could borrow it back when I need it) and sold her 120-400 OS. I put the money towards a Canon 300 f4L IS which goes perfectly with my 70D. The crispness is evident with the 70D now, even when I've used it with a Canon MkIII 1.4x extender. I tried doing MFA with the 70D and 150-500 OS (and the wife's 120-400 OS) but still couldn't get them as good as crisp as the 300 f4L IS straight from the box.

Best thing to do is take your 70D into the shop and try the lenses on your body to make sure you're happy with it. The only alternatives to the Sigma's is the Canon 100-400 L or a 300 or 400 prime lens but they are all a more expensive option than either of the Sigma's. I would like to try a different 150-500 OS and a 50-500 OS on my 70D just to compare the results I've had so far.

long_tail_tropic_bird-jpg.7999

This from my 50-500 on my 70D (203mm, f/8, 1/250, ISO 100).

I originally had the 150-500 but missed the flexibility of the extra width at the short end so replaced it with the 50-500. No regrets, I should have bought it in the first place. Excellent images from both.

Thank you all so much for posting your pictures/info and advice. I am going to really think about this and not rush into anything, definitly a good idea to take my camera to the shop :)

Just took delivery of my new 70d with 18-135mm STM lens. Was a little worried about the jump in cost compared to my 600d but after 5 mins use totally happy with my purchase. The rotary wheel is a little soft in its operation, but that will come more familiar with use.

I'm thinking of getting a 70D but I only have a couple of EF-S lenses (the rest are all "L" series that I use with my 6D), so I was going to get a "standard" lens along with it.
I like the look of the 15-85mm EF-S but the 18-135 STM is a fair bit cheaper, and one of my EF-S lenses is the 10-22 EF-S ultra wide, so I can cover the short end.
I do mostly landscape and architecture (with the 6D), and I like wide angle lenses, but for the occasions I do wildlife the 70D will give me extra reach with my telephoto lenses.
What do you think, the extra wideness of the 15-85, or do you think the 18-135 is a better deal for me as a general purpose lens?

Well I was originally going to buy the 18-55mm kit lens, but after thinking of the cost of my next lens (55-250mm) I thought I might as well buy the 18-135mm just for that extra reach as a walkabout option. I managed with a 18-200mm sigma in Rome last month so thought 135mm isn't much difference plus its the STM variant so for movies would be almost silent.

Just bought a 70D from John Lewis this afternoon so haven't really had a chance to play with it yet.

Recently sold a 6D and was planning to wait and see if a 7D Mk2 was on the horizon before getting another second body to go with my 4 year old 7D. However I'm heading to Jordan next week for a few months and the other day my 7D had a couple of error messages so I didn't want to risk going out there with just the one body.

I'll be using the 70D with an EF-S 15-85, which is a lens I love. :)

One thing I immediately appreciate is that it uses the same battery and charger as my 7D, as did the 6D, which is very handy if you're carrying both bodies and one battery runs out. Also means you only have to carry one charger when travelling.

Welcome to the 70D club to RegG, PMBA and Iceax. I'm sure you'll end up loving it as much as I do. Over the last couple of weeks I've been using my 70D far more than my 5D3. I'm using the 70D and 300 f4L IS for shooting the local wildlife and I'm loving it. I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to seeing some of your shots in the thread and in the other sections soon.

Thanks for the welcome Stuart! I've not had much chance to get on the forum recently but am enjoying the 70D. I took it on a cruise holiday to the Caribbean at the end of February and got some decent shots even though I was still learning how to use the camera - a little more complex than my old 600D and my old grey matter is not as quick these days! That said, I and very pleased with the 70D and used it mainly with my Tamron 18-270mm lens whilst on holiday - just took the one lens to keep weight to a minimum. I also picked up a book from Amazon - Canon EOS 70D Digital Field Guide by Charlotte Lowrie - to read on the plane. I have found it very useful and more detailed than the basic manual that came with the camera.

I've also just got myself a tripod - Manfrotto 190 XPROB with a Manfrotto head - so hope the weather is going to improve enough to get out and get some good landscapes etc.

:canon:

One thing I immediately appreciate is that it uses the same battery and charger as my 7D, as did the 6D, which is very handy if you're carrying both bodies and one battery runs out. Also means you only have to carry one charger when travelling.

That was one one the things that swung me to a 70D as well. I'd already got a bunch of batteries for my 5D3 and 7D, so when I part ex'd the 7D for the 70D I wouldn't need to spend out more on spares. I always use grips on my bodies as my hands are quite large and without a grip there's nothing for my little finger to hold onto. The size and weight with the grip make it much more comfortable for me to hold and balance when I've got a decent sized lens on it. I'm going out in a few minutes for a walk round the village with my 70D, 300 f4L IS and 1.4x MkIII extender and will have a look for some birds and planes to shoot. I'm still not sure if the 300 f4L is right for me, I'm debating whether to exchange it for a 100-400 L instead so the more I shoot with it the more I'll know for sure.

RegG, I bought the Tamron 18-270 PZD for the wife to use with her 650D and I haven't been able to prise it off her yet, for a superzoom she gets some very good results with it. I got the Tamron 28-300 VC for using on my 5D3 if I wanted to travel light but it seems to be living in the bag with my EOS M at the moment. I'm getting some good shots with that but the AF speed of the M does leave a bit to be desired TBH. Even with my 24-70 f2.8L II and the 70-200 f2.8L IS II the AF speed is not what I'd hoped for but the IQ from it makes up for the slow AF when you get it right.

I've been asked about shooting a video for a mate but I've only got the 40mm pancake STM so I've been thinking about getting an 18-55 and 55-250 STM pair or just getting an 18-135 STM as I doubt I would need anything longer than the 135 for video and the 18-135 STM does seem to be getting some rave reviews on here recently. I tried one in a shop and was rather impressed myself but I couldn't take it out in the field so to speak.

Has anyone tried the new Tamron 150-600 on their 70D yet, and if so what's it like. If it's good enough I might hold out for one of them instead of the Canon 100-400 L. Any pics and quick reviews I would be grateful for.

Last edited:
Look forward to seeing the results with the 15-85. Will you be able to post anything through your trip? Will you be doing any video with the 15-85?

It's a working trip but I'm sure I'll get some free time and if I take any images that I think are worth posting I will. I don't really do video but you never know.

Has anyone tried the new Tamron 150-600 on their 70D yet, and if so what's it like. If it's good enough I might hold out for one of them instead of the Canon 100-400 L. Any pics and quick reviews I would be grateful for.

My neighbour has been trying unsuccessfully to get his hands on the Tamron 150-600 to use with his 5D. Seems they are like gold dust at the moment......!

Thanks for the welcome Stuart! I've not had much chance to get on the forum recently but am enjoying the 70D. I took it on a cruise holiday to the Caribbean at the end of February and got some decent shots even though I was still learning how to use the camera - a little more complex than my old 600D and my old grey matter is not as quick these days! That said, I and very pleased with the 70D and used it mainly with my Tamron 18-270mm lens whilst on holiday - just took the one lens to keep weight to a minimum. I also picked up a book from Amazon - Canon EOS 70D Digital Field Guide by Charlotte Lowrie - to read on the plane. I have found it very useful and more detailed than the basic manual that came with the camera.

I've also just got myself a tripod - Manfrotto 190 XPROB with a Manfrotto head - so hope the weather is going to improve enough to get out and get some good landscapes etc.

:canon:
I'd second your comment on Charlotte's book, Reg - I bought a copy before I got the camera itself and find it very helpful with understanding what is going on and the set-up stuff.

I used to do a lot of railway photography, but now limited to specials and presrvation, but oh to have this option 25+ years ago! That's not bad for 6400, and probably equvalent to my 450D at 800.

Just taken delivery of my 70D this morning as an upgrade to my 1100D. Already noticing a huge difference. Still using the kit lenses from the 1100D, couldn't justify the added expense right now.

I put the money towards a Canon 300 f4L IS which goes perfectly with my 70D. The crispness is evident with the 70D now, even when I've used it with a Canon MkIII 1.4x extender. I tried doing MFA with the 70D and 150-500 OS (and the wife's 120-400 OS) but still couldn't get them as good as crisp as the 300 f4L IS straight from the box.

....Hi Stoo!

I didn't buy any of the kit lenses with my 70D last December but have ended up with 4 Canon L lenses, all bought here from TP Classifieds. You mention the Canon 300mm f4L IS - I got mine just two weeks ago and already had a Canon 1.4x III Extender. I also bought a Canon 400mm f5.6L in February and was thinking of selling it as the 300+1.4x = 420mm (ignoring the 70D crop sensor factor). But I'm finding that the 400mm prime is sharper unless you can shoot with the 300+1.4x combo at f8 and above. I'm now no longer sure about selling my Canon 400L!

Sharpness on both the Canon 300L and 400L without Extenders is equal and apparently better than the Canon 100-400 zoom (told by someone I know who has had all these lenses).

The versatility of the 300 being able to focus at 1.5m/5ft as opposed to 3.5m/12ft on the 400, makes the Canon 300mm f4L IS an outstandingly versatile lens - I can bag a high quality handheld shot of an insect at an unintrusive distance of 5ft and then switch lenses on my 70D to the Canon 100mm f2.8L IS Macro and try my luck getting up close and personal using a tripod.

Currently I tend to shoot at ISO 800 and use Imageonic's Noiseware filter in Photoshop, so no noise on the background.

I exclusively shoot RAW and that really brings out the true potential of the 70D.

So how are you finding the 300L+1.4x III combo on the 70D, @modchild ?

Last edited:
Shock horror, after just 3 months ownership, 1500 shots taken, discovered significant amount of sensor grot today. Clearly have been careless with lens changing, but can't understand how there can be so much? Particularly as the 6 year old 350d it replaced doesn't seem to suffer from nearly as many dust bunnies and that doesn't have the sensor clean function.
Only noticed since I got the efs 10-22 and started stopping down for landscapes.

Anyone had a go at cleaning their sensor? Plenty of other threads on the subject, so pretty confident I can give it a go. Or ignore it, of course.
Could it be that a new camera could ship with dust on the sensor?

View attachment 10575

You've basically got three options here:
  1. Stop shooting pictures of the sky at small apertures.
  2. Use the clone tool in PP.
  3. Clean the sensor.
But seriously, I think people obsess far too much over sensor dust.
Unless it's showing up badly on my day to day shots, I tend to ignore it.
It's pretty straightforward to clone out a few spots in the sky if they are noticeable.
Of course, at some point it can become objectionable, so you are forced to do something about it.
Perceived wisdom says that the next three steps you need to take are
  1. Air blower
  2. Anti-static brush
  3. Wet cleaning
In 6 years of DSLR ownership I've only needed to wet clean my sensor twice, and I change lenses a lot, under all sorts of conditions, and that was on a camera without a built-in "sensor cleaning" mode.
I don't really think that changing lenses is necessarily the problem, as long as you do it quickly and minimise the amount of time the camera is open without a lens on it.
Keep the body pointing downwards as far as possible, and, of course, switch off the camera power whilst carrying out the lens change.
When you think about it, as soon as you take the lens off the first thing you see is the mirror, which itself forms a partial barrier to dust.
Next, the shutter itself, which is closed, again forming a barrier to dust.
The only way the sensor (actually, in most cases, the anti-aliasing filter, but I'll keep referring to it as the sensor) is fully exposed is if you open the shutter without the lens attached, and on my old 30D the only way you can do this is to select the "Sensor Cleaning" mode from the menu.
Of course, when the lens is off there is the chance of dust entering the mirror chamber and eventually finding it's way onto the sensor, but, for the reasons above, it cannot land directly on the sensor just because the lens is off.
I've seen it written that, once it's energised, the sensor develops a static charge, which tends to attract any dust in the vicinity.
This may or may not be true, but it makes sense to turn the camera off while you are carrying out the lens changing procedure.

I think there seems to be an aura of mystery surrounding sensor cleaning.
I don't think that sensor cleaning is particularly difficult, and certainly not the black art that some people would have you believe.
I would recommend you read the following advice on sensor cleaning, and also similar advice on this site.
Edit: the information on the second site has now migrated to here.

One thing that I would caution is that, if/when using the "wet" cleaning method, is not to make the cleaning swab too wet, and to always use an air blower to blast any loose dust off, before applying any swab to the sensor surface, to avoid the possibility of scratching the surface with any loose bits of dust or grit.
Although it's called "Wet cleaning" that's really a bit of a misnomer, and the sensor cleaning swab should really just be "damp" as opposed to fully wet.
When you wipe the swab across the sensor, the resulting damp residue should evaporate almost instantly, if not then it is too wet.
I have heard of the odd occasion when people have used so much cleaning fluid, it has found its way between the sensor and the AA filter, which is not the way to do it!
The idea is to wipe the dust off with the swab, NOT wash it off with the cleaning fluid.

With a careful and organised approach, sensor cleaning is not difficult and well within the capabilities of most people.
The cost of the cleaning materials is less than paying someone to clean your sensor for you, and once you have the cleaning kit you can use it over and over.

Take care and good luck.

Last edited:
Back