Canon EOS 7D to a 6D

Edit My Images
No
Hi, looking to replace my 7D with a 6D mk2 but notice that it's a full frame. Two questions.

Will my lenses that I use on my 7D fit and
I do mainly sports, is the 6D suitable for that? They always said that the 5D wasn't.

Perhaps if you listed all your lenses folks might be able to offer some specific advice.

As for the 6D and sport, personally I would not have that on my list. A 5D3 or 5D4 if you want to go full frame.

PS with sports teams IMO you need fast reacting and accurate AF and has, as/when needed, high FPS....a minimum of 6fps ? Maybe stick with a crop body, a 7D2 or maybe 90D(if the spec is appropriate?)

Edit ~ what is it about the 7D that you think replacing it will change for you???

Last edited:
I've got a 90D, I don't like it. Great video camera though.

I'd go for a 7D2 but they don't seem to be in stock where I've looked briefly.

Any EF lens will fit/work on a 6Dii. EF-S lenses are for Canon crop sensor cameras, although EF will also work on a crop body Canon, just EF-S won't work/fit on full frame.

I have a 7D, it's sat in a drawer for over a year now, I never got on with it, it's a noisy beast, even when exposed correctly. I think you would see a huge difference in image quality going full frame from a 7D.

As for specs, depends what you intend to do, although the 5D3 or 4 will give you more than a 6D. I have a 5D4 and the only gripe is it's 7 frames per second max, I wish it were a little faster. It's a lovely sensor though.

I'm waiting to see what the R7 has to offer, if it comes. Allegedly, it will be Canon's first crop sensor R.

No idea where in the world that you live.......

But here in the UK both MPB and WEX seem to have stock of second hand bodies. You will not find a new one now!!!

And again, which lenses do you have???

@Dale.

I agree re: 7D, very noisy and difficult files to work with. I upgraded back then to the 5D3, a superb FF body with very smooth files.

I only sold all my Canon gear to reduce weight and went Olympus...... modern noise reduction software used as required = superb files :)

They say 7 frames per second
only gripe is it's 7 frames per second

I never get anything close to that shooting football. Is that why people say that the 5D isn't suitable for sports?

I have a Canon 70-200mm mk1 F2.8
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8, Sigma 120-300mm F2.8
Canon 100-400mm F4-5.6

I've only ever had crop sensor cameras.

I bought the 90D because it said that it handled noise better but it was no different to the 7D in that respect.

I bought the 90D because it said that it handled noise better but it was no different to the 7D in that respect.
If football and sports is your primary area......maybe consider (budget?) the canon 1D4 or perhaps the 1DXmk1. Both on secondhand market.

As for the lenses - both Canon are EF so will fit both FF and crop. The Sigma I think is FF viable unless when you check its spec it says otherwise.

Last edited:
They say 7 frames per second

I never get anything close to that shooting football. Is that why people say that the 5D isn't suitable for sports?

I have a Canon 70-200mm mk1 F2.8
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8, Sigma 120-300mm F2.8
Canon 100-400mm F4-5.6

I've only ever had crop sensor cameras.

7 fps isn't too shabby, I just sometimes wish it were more. I use my 5D for landscapes but I'm wildlife too. In fairness though, I can only recall 3 occasions when I actually needed it to be.

Your 2 Canon lenses are L ? They'll work on full frame if they are. I have little experience of the Sigmas but I'm guessing with those numbers, they too will work on a full frame.

If the 7D's 8 fps has been enough for you, 7 or even 6 won't be far behind, maybe hardly noticeable. These days though, cameras are doing silly fps rates, it soon becomes a case of having it for the sake of it IMHO.

Last edited:
I think Canon no longer sell the 7Dii but there are several used models available. Noise is much better than the 7Di. Modern noise reduction software is very good.

I do not have a 6Dii but do have a 5Diii which is very good and suitable for most sports.

Depends on the sports you shoot.

I used to shoot motorsport with MF lenses on a T90 n the 90's.

So yes, of course you can on a 6D ii.

I had a 6d mk1 and loved it.

In my simpleton world…yes the 6d mk2 will perform what you need..and no the 7d lenses will not fit..don’t be tempted to try you will damage your mirror..I’m just about to sell a 6d mk2 to LCE Portsmouth, not for any reason other than I want to shoot Olympus..the 6d mk2 is a truly brilliant camera.

Last edited:
In my simpleton world…yes the 6d mk2 will perform what you need..and no the 7d lenses will not fit..don’t be tempted to try you will damage your mirror..I’m just about to sell a 6d mk2 to LCE Portsmouth, not for any reason other than I want to shoot Olympus..the 6d mk2 is a truly brilliant camera.
All his lenses are EF. ;)

I shot sports with the 7DII for about 2 years and bought a 1DX used, i haven't looked back , the 7DII is either on the 70-200 or in the bag as a back up.
Bought mine with 123k on the shutter , dont let that put you off buying second hand, have a look at the body wear, that will tell you how it was looked after. Save a while and get a camera to suit what you mainly shoot, wait for a 1DX;);)

All his lenses are EF. ;)
I passed on replying to that one but (y) for you doing so.

I think there are times when folk reply only to the OP rather than read the replies :banghead: but such are forums/fora in this fast moving world :)

I passed on replying to that one but (y) for you doing so.

I think there are times when folk reply only to the OP rather than read the replies :banghead: but such are forums/fora in this fast moving world :)
I think we’ve all been guilty of it.

I think we’ve all been guilty of it.
I won't deny it but I do endeavour to read as much as I can and not just the OP.........but for sure I occasionally do miss stuff in the speed read of posts ;)

My bad lol I panicked for him coz I had a 7d Mk2 with Efs lenses and tried to fit one on my 5dmk2..£30 for a new mirror! Could have been worse. Sorry.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's always nice to gather opinions before spending a loads of cash!

I would dearly love to get into the 1D series but even though I can afford it, I can't really justify it. I don't make any money out of what I do and it would kind of put me in the pro bracket when I wouldn't want to be there.

And second hand too. Tempting but I don't want something that someone else doesn't want!

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's always nice to gather opinions before spending a loads of cash!

I would dearly love to get into the 1D series but even though I can afford it, I can't really justify it. I don't make any money out of what I do and it would kind of put me in the pro bracket when I wouldn't want to be there.

And second hand too. Tempting but I don't want something that someone else doesn't want!
I’m sorry but this is the most bonkers post I’ve read on here.

If the 1dx series is the best camera to fit your needs, why would you not buy it?

I own some gear the marketing men call ‘pro’ and other gear they make purely for ‘the soccer moms’. But it’s all gear I bought to do specific jobs. I’m not shopping for gear that makes me feel ‘comfortable’ I need it to just work.

And I’ve only ever bought a small number of new cameras and lenses, the s/h market is a godsend.

The reasons people sell gear are as many and varied as the reasons we buy it. For instance I’m currently holding about 5 cameras and a similar number of lenses too many (I will sell them honest). But it’s because my needs have changed. Does it make sense for someone else to not buy them purely because I decided not to shoot weddings anymore? How is that relevant to the future buyer?

If a s/h 1dx2 will do the job you want better than a new 90d, only an absolute idiot would buy the 90d. Utterly bonkers

I shoot sports, mostly motorsport or mass participation athletics. The camera I reach for first is 1DX Mk II, but 7D II is an option as the pixel density is roughly the same as running the 1DX with a x1.4 teleconverter.

If you're getting what you want, from where you stand composition wise with the 7D, then a 90D or 7D2 will work fine.

Don't be frightened from a secondhand camera. People upgrade for all sorts of reasons. Some for the wrong reasons and they then have to adjust what they do. Get a low mileage one from a dealer with a warranty and you'll be fine. Is you house new or secondhand? Your car? Partner?

You've got 'pro' lenses, so why not a 'pro' body?

Last edited:
I've had six cars in my life, the sixth has lasted twelve years. The others lasted three years tops. Guess which one I bought new?

House is new too ;)

Last edited:
I've had six cars in my life, the sixth has lasted twelve years. The others lasted three years tops. Guess which one I bought new?

House is new too ;)
Are you just trying to outdo your previous bonkers post?

I’ve lived in a dozen houses, the oldest is 90 years old next year; guess which one I’m still living in?

I’ve owned dozens of cars, some bangers, some brand new, the only one that made my heart sing is older than me.

Cameras are comparable to neither, they’re more comparable to the contents of my toolbox, some very expensive ratchets, sockets and spanner’s that I needed for thousands of hours of use, and a few relatively inexpensive pieces that I had limited use for.

And again, my everyday 1/2” ratchet was 10 years old when I got it (40 years ago), has been serviced a number of times and still does the job better than a brand new midrange alternative.

I respectfully disagree. Please keep it friendly.

I saw a second half 1Dx for £1200 with 50,000 clicks on it.

No thanks.

I respectfully disagree. Please keep it friendly.

I saw a second half 1Dx for £1200 with 50,000 clicks on it.

No thanks.
50k shutter actuations is nothing for a 1Dx. They're professional cameras and built like proverbial tanks. As above the rated shutter life is 400 or 500k but some of them will go much further than that. Honestly don't understand not wanting second hand gear. I bought a second hand lens off this forum for about 1/3rd of it's new price and it's mint. Not a mark on it, with the original box. Why pay £700 when I can get the same thing for £225?

A lot of my equipment was bought used, mainly through well known suppliers and all came with a warranty. I usually went for good or excellent condition with low shutter counts for cameras. No issues so far.

I recently bought a used 1Dx as I enjoy bird photography. I went for one with a shutter count of 80k and with some marks on the body. It was priced to match and is still covered by a warranty which reduces the risk.

Photographic equipment is the only product I buy used. However I fully appreciate that some people only buy new.

If you can, try before you buy.

My 6D 2 was an ex demo loaner from HDEW but was cheaper than well used ones in other places and they gave me a three year warranty it was a no brainier for me
I still prefer the auto focus on my 7D2 but the full frame image quality of the 6D2 is brilliant so use that as much as possible

Back