Canon EOS 7D Wide Angle Lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought a EOS 7D, grip & 18-200 Canon lens. I would like to get a lens just for landscape had been looking at the Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f2.8 or the 17-40 f4.0L

Any opinions?

I've just got the Sigma 10-20mm lens, and it's very wide. Seems optically very good, and cam be had for £100/200 quid less than the Canon (although the Canon is slightly better). It depends how much money you want to spend on a wide lens. Personally I went for sigmas offering as it gave me more money to spend on ND grads and the like, which are important when doing landscapes as the lens is.

You might find that while the 17-40 is a cracker of a lens, on a cropped body you might find yourself wanting wider.

I don't do many landscapes and when I do I use my 24-105 f4 L on my 5D2, although that's great for a FF it's not too good on a crop. I would say the Canon 10-22 would be your best bet, although I've not used one I have seen the results on a friends 7D and it's amazing.

How do you find the wide end of your current lens? If 18 is not quite wide enough then you have your answer and need the 10-22 which is just a great lens both in IQ and focal length on the crop.

I use a 10-24mm tamron , It's a nice lens for the money!

But I'm soon looking to upgrade and get the 10-22mm myself , for when my new canon 7D arrives :p

Another vote for the 10-22 :D

pete.rush said:

Did you read uncle Ken's text btw?

"Small-Format Digital: On Nikon, get the Tokina 11-16mm. On Canon, get the 10-22mm EF."

Even he agrees that the Canon 10-22 rules the 1.6x crop roost.

And 10mm is noticeably wider than 11mm :)

Just picked up the Canon 10-22 from Jessops this afternoon, hope to give it a spin in a few days

Blimey! I agree with KR on something.

Yes, he's correct, the Canon is better than the Tokina for outdoor daylight use. I should know - I own both.

Just picked up the Canon 10-22 from Jessops this afternoon, hope to give it a spin in a few days

You'll love it, it's a hilarious lens. If it was any wider you'd have to crop out your own ears :D

It's downright tunnel vision compared to my 8mm Samyang though.. I keep having to reshoot to get my shoes or elbows out of the image.. :bonk:

Lovely images Geoffrey.

Back