Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I was using a SRB 10 stop which is pretty good for the price but does make pictures a little red. It's not much of an issue though as it's a 2 second fix adjusting the white balance in Lightroom and it's then fine.

I'm seriously considering getting a good filters kit for use with my M system and I've been doing some searching this morning. At first I looked at the Lee Seven5 system. I mistakenly assumed that as the filters were much smaller then the prices would be as well. No, still need to sell a kidney to buy the kit :eek:

So I've been looking at the Hitech Firecrest filters which are glass and reasonably priced. I also like that they sell a 13 and 16 stop filter.

Does anyone have the Hitech filters? Are they a good choice?

I have a Birthday at the end of the month and the Missus keeps asking what I'd like. If these are good then I think this will be it.
Let us know what you end up with (I'l assume whatever you go for will be compatible with the 11-22mm). I've just ordered an old 400mm prime from the Film Days and an FD to EF-M adapter to go with it. Thinking of getting some solar filtering paper to make my own filter for the upcoming eclipse (hopefully the clouds will stay away). I'd be interested in some more general purpose filters for landscapes though... LOve the ones you've posted above, and the cloud looks ace @michael23

Thought it was about time I posted more macro shots as I've been continually reducing my setup in line with the M philosophy. Constructed a new flash bracket and now use a cheap softbox diffuser that folds away, reducing my baggage further :) I now prefer the results I was getting with my 550D and it's much easier to use:

Gall Wasp by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Hunting Zebras by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Dicyrtomina Triptych by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Sminthurinus niger by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

The original M still has it's compromises (mainly around recycle times) which I'm hoping the M3 will address. Also hoping the increase in Megapixels will allow me to get better resolution and provide more cropping options than the current sensor :)

Where did you get the Flash bracket from?
I made it. I got a cheap UV filter and smashed the glass out, then got a thin (1mm) length of aluminium and attached it with some industrial strength metal glue, reinforced with some thermo-plastic. Drilled some holes in the bar and found some bracket screws of the right size online. It works quite well even thought the glued area was very small (the edge of the bar to the outside rim of the filter. At some point the glue failed and it fell apart, but by some stroke of luck the thermoplastic lets me clip it back in place and even rotate the flash whilst being sturdy enough to provide the necessary support.

I doubt it would work so well i I tried making it again, so I'm currently building the Mark II. I found some 58-28mm step down rings, which fit the MP-E without covering the Lens and these provide a much larger surface area on the front to attach the aluminium bar. I'll need to do some more images once it's complete (I think I might wait for the M3 to arrive) but it already seems much more sturdy, although you lose the ability to rotate the bracket.

Lens you mean? Canon MP-E (with EF-M adaptor obvs), also sometimes the 1.4x teleconverter and sometimes with extension tubes. It looks awesome :)

Gear Update by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Thanks for the pic set up, looks great. I have a kiron 105 in fd knocking around, only thing is its a very stiff mf ring and focusing at tje macro end is very tricky.

Thanks for the pic set up, looks great. I have a kiron 105 in fd knocking around, only thing is its a very stiff mf ring and focusing at tje macro end is very tricky.
Ha ha! I lost out on an a bid for one of those yesterday. Would love to see some pics from it :)

View attachment 32323

I have a Canon 100mm FD macro, which works very well on my M using the FD adapter. It will even focus to infinity. :)
That's good to know, as mentioned above I'm looking for some longer range macro lenses at the moment. I decided that rather than pay the £££s needed for the latest ones I would give some of the old film lenses a go at around a tenth of the price . My 400mm prime arrived today (and Canon FD 2X teleconvertor). Just waiting for my FD adapter now, which should arrive this week :)

Ha ha! I lost out on an a bid for one of those yesterday. Would love to see some pics from it :)

That's good to know, as mentioned above I'm looking for some longer range macro lenses at the moment. I decided that rather than pay the £££s needed for the latest ones I would give some of the old film lenses a go at around a tenth of the price . My 400mm prime arrived today (and Canon FD 2X teleconvertor). Just waiting for my FD adapter now, which should arrive this week :)

How much was it going for out of curiosity?

It went for £107 + £7 P&P in the end. The description was all optics were fine but the out casing was worn (much of the lettering had come off) and at some point had a hole drilled in to secure the lens cap.

I think it went for a reasonable price. Doing some further research I'd expect about £120 for one in good condition. Apparently they can suffer from stuck apertures, so just something to watch out for... I'll keep an eye out for more, but I'll probably only pick on up if I can get a bargain. If I had to spend much over £100, I may be better off looking at more modern cheaper offerings and get auto-focus along with it.

It went for £107 + £7 P&P in the end. The description was all optics were fine but the out casing was worn (much of the lettering had come off) and at some point had a hole drilled in to secure the lens cap.

I think it went for a reasonable price. Doing some further research I'd expect about £120 for one in good condition. Apparently they can suffer from stuck apertures, so just something to watch out for... I'll keep an eye out for more, but I'll probably only pick on up if I can get a bargain. If I had to spend much over £100, I may be better off looking at more modern cheaper offerings and get auto-focus along with it.

I have had mine quite a long time I think I payed £75 for it. I shall check it over at some point.

What I find weird about this camera is that you can now buy one for under £200 but only the lens 18-55mm is available on Amazon for £219. Does that make sense?

What I find weird about this camera is that you can now buy one for under £200 but only the lens 18-55mm is available on Amazon for £219. Does that make sense?
LOL, crazy I know. If you look on Amazon, you can only get the kit for £249.99. Still ridiculous if you are paying £219 for the kit lens, and £30 for camera and flash. Ebay prices for the kit lens seem to be ~£80 mark though...

Love the strap too - how does it attach to the silly M attachment point? Also, where did you get it please?
Hi

They are called a "cordy" and have plenty to choose from, this is the one i went for with the Optech quick release so i can take it off easily:

http://www.cordweaver.co.uk/product.php?s=cordy-classic-optech-mini-qd-loop#big2

I followed @edster advice and took the metal end off the factory supplied neck strap and looped the Optech through that.

View attachment 32353

Hi all this may seem a very stupid question, I have a canon 1000d and its great but not handbag size for when im out and about...been looking at this camera and wondered would my 60mm macro work with this or would I need to get an adapter for it.

Hi all this may seem a very stupid question, I have a canon 1000d and its great but not handbag size for when im out and about...been looking at this camera and wondered would my 60mm macro work with this or would I need to get an adapter for it.

You would need the EOS M to EF/EF-S adapter.

The link is to a genuine Canon adapter on Amazon but you can get them off eBay for around £30. You can also get pattern ones for less.

So I ordered some solar filter paper from Amazon a few days ago. Just received an email to say " We are pleased to inform you your delivery date has been brought forward. The item you purchased is now due to be delivered on the 20th March." o_O

So I ordered some solar filter paper from Amazon a few days ago. Just received an email to say " We are pleased to inform you your delivery date has been brought forward. The item you purchased is now due to be delivered on the 20th March." o_O

I originally ordered from Amazon as well, then saw the delivery estimate (wasn't paying attention) and cancelled.

I re-ordered from Rother Valley Optics if it helps.

Ok cool thanks. I'll check to see if I change delivery options (I went with free delivery as didn't even think timing would be an issue). Will check out your site beforehand and see which is better pricewise too.

Thanks!

EDIT: OK just checked my order and Amazon have it flagged as dispatched. Delivery estimate on the site is showing as the 16th so hopefully it should arrive in plenty of time :)

Last edited:
Still think I'd prefer the 70-200mm f4 over the 55-200, shame I sold mine last year before buying the EOS M, although I can pick up a used one for around £300

I just picked your post Pete as an example of one of many but I am not understanding the point of buying a very compact camera and then sticking huge EF lenses on it? Obviously it is no longer compact but also the lenses will handle/balance much better on a DSLR. For me the EOS M is an alternative to my DSLR's for when I want to travel light and I have no intention of mounting my EF 100-400 Mk2 on it!

I've been looking for a suitable pouch for the EOS M with kit lens and by chance picked one of these up today (Optech D-M 4/3). A perfect fit and very light. Comes with a quick snap retaining strap kit but I'll be more inclined to just fold it and put it in my pocket. Cost me £19.99 from Cameratiks in Edinburgh.

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-optech-d-m-4-3-soft-pouch-black.htm

Last edited:
I just picked your post Pete as an example of one of many but I am not understanding the point of buying a very compact camera and then sticking huge EF lenses on it? Obviously it is no longer compact but also the lenses will handle/balance much better on a DSLR. For me the EOS M is an alternative to my DSLR's for when I want to travel light and I have no intention of mounting my EF 100-400 Mk2 on it!
I think you've answered your own question. It's mainly for travel. I can take the M, a range of EF-M lenses and maybe a couple of larger lenses when I travel. The EF-M lenses are useful for day to day travel photography, and I can leave the larger lenses in the hotel room until I fancy doing some dedicated wildlife work. As to the handling, I never really understood this argument. I think it's because many are still trying to support the lens from the camera. I find the balance becomes much better with the M, as the lens becomes the centre of balance (if it's large enough) and the camera body doesn't need supporting, it just hangs off the back of the lens. I find it more stable, particularly for my macro stuff, if I can support the whole rig with my left hand and just use my right to change settings and fire the shutter.

Edit: OK, I reread your quote and realised I answered the more generic quesion rather than the specific example. Smaller EF-M for me all the way :)

Last edited:

I'm in agreement with this entirely. My whole M kit including a bag weighs less than my 5D3 and one lens put together. However, it is nice to have the luxury of being able to use an EF lens whenever the need arises. I just wish canon would support the me with more ef-m (or EF) pancake lenses.

Back