Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Anyone got the Samyang 8mm F2.8 or 12mm F2.0 (or both)? Just looking at these as a wide option for astrophotography and wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

I can't decide which one to go for, the 8mm would require more post-production but might be fun to have a fish eye. I have the 11-22, so the 12mm doesn't offer anything other than lower light capabilities, but that's needed for astro work. At the moment i would use the 22mm F2, but it would be nice to be able to go wider than this...

Have to agree about the 22mm, it is great for astro work, but a bit restrictive for covering a larger expanse.
Will be interested too if anybody has any experience of the EF-M Samyang's.

I guess which to go for will depend on what you want to catch? For the milky way, probably the wider the better, but for something like meteor showers, the 12mm would probably be better, so the meteors are not too small, though you would catch more with the fisheye.
Be nice to have both;)

I've got both the 8mm and 14mm full-size EF lenses which I have played with on adaptor with EOS and they're pretty good. I haven't tried the EF-M form factor lenses but sure want to...

I've got the M3 kit lenses & used 55/200 week ago for first time & well impressed considering its plastic mount & not the alloy.

Not sure why people worry about the plastic mounts, the oldest I have is an EF mount 35-80 which was a kit lens with a film SLR back in the 1980's and it has never given any problems. Hate to think how many times it has been on/off the camera over the years :)
Enjoy it, thats what it's for ;)

Not sure why people worry about the plastic mounts, the oldest I have is an EF mount 35-80 which was a kit lens with a film SLR back in the 1980's and it has never given any problems. Hate to think how many times it has been on/off the camera over the years :)
Enjoy it, thats what it's for ;)

If anything I prefer plastic its harder wearing than alloy.

Yes, and lighter too, but not by a huge amount :)

55/200 is 259g your saying its lighter but just curious to what...?
18/55 is 205g

55/200 is 259g your saying its lighter but just curious to what...?
18/55 is 205g

Was talking about the mount, plastic is slightly lighter than alloy, but not enough to really be noticeable, or worth worrying about.
I'm agreeing with you, dont have a problem with plastic mounts at all ;)

Was talking about the mount, plastic is slightly lighter than alloy, but not enough to really be noticeable, or worth worrying about.
I'm agreeing with you, dont have a problem with plastic mounts at all ;)

ah ok, as well slight difference in feel when swapping lenses & i think the plastic is the nicer of the lenses

Just wish Canon were as keen on releasing lenses! Still got my fingers crossed for 30mm f1.8 and a 15/17mm f2 or similar in pancake format would make the system much more competitive for me!

Just an observation on the battery life on the EOS-M, as I know it is something that is often moaned about.
While out watching the eclipse yesterday morning, I had both the EOS-M and my 600D set up side by side. Both with freshly charged original Canon batteries. The 600D had liveview turned on so I could use the articulated screen to view the eclipse more closely, so in effect, they both had their LCD's on the whole time.
Not too much of a surprise, the EOS-M was the first to run down it's battery, it lasted 2 hours 50 minutes and just short of 100 shots in that time. What was a surprise, was that while I was changing the battery, not a rapid task in the pitch black of the total eclipse, the battery on the 600D also ran flat, it lasted probably just 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Now I know these are not typical conditions, but made an interesting comparison.

Shame the M doesn't have the Eco screen like the M3, was on holiday last week & my M3 battery only lasts about same time as my M but set my M3 to Eco & such a big time difference on battery that I now leave it on so less likely to miss that all important shot.

I'll be out from about 8am till 1pm & I'll just leave camera on in eco mode as I'll be taking shots at a bird life sanctuary.

Has anyone used an EOS 100D in comparison to the EOS M? The one thing that I miss about the M is the lack of a viewfinder. I know that the M3 provides the capability for this, but the cheapest I can find the camera, viewfinder and lens (no camera only deals available) is £600. With the 100D at £279, it's making me re-think my 'small camera' choice.

Sensor will be interesting, a new 18 mp sensor if I read it right.
The 1st M was 18mp & the M3 is 24 ish mp so is there something different to the 18mp you mentioned.

Will have a read of that later. I was kind of hoping it was a new one with better iso performance. I hope the g5x body style is coming to the m4! That would do nicely....
M4...? What about some firmware updates for M3. think Canon need to get there priority's right first.The M only had the one firmware update & I really like the design of it but shame they'd wash there hands of it.

Last edited:
M4...? What about some firmware updates for M3. think Canon need to get there priority's right first.The M only had the one firmware update & I really like the design of it but shame they'd wash there hands of it.

Indeed it would be great for Canon to do a fuji and olympus and do those updates.

Having vaguely considered the M3 as a smaller carry around what would it benefit from in a firmware update

Used my EOS-M quite a bit last week up in Scotland. Fitted with a 15-85mm EF-s, got some nice shots too!

What does the M3 need updating via firmware ?

I have been thinking about buying one but if it's that buggy then I will look at something else.

Not seen any price for the lens yet, but based on the kit price, it should be affordable.

M10 (Body Only) - £309
M10 + Lens - £399

Last edited:
Indeed it would be great for Canon to do a fuji and olympus and do those updates.

Having vaguely considered the M3 as a smaller carry around what would it benefit from in a firmware update

More M-Fn options which have previously been mentioned & to able to turn off menu button as i keep catching it when holding camera,& the option to be able to rename a raw file that you want to quickly find when using memory card in pc without having to use Canon pc software.
Otherwise I really like my M3 & doesn't look silly with the ef lenses, tho would be nice to see more of the ef m's, Ive also still got my M & like the body style more than my M3, also imo both are very nice cameras & nice comments made by other photographers..

Has anyone here bought the Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DI III VC ? If so how did you find it ? I've read reviews online, but like most reviews there's mixed opinion. I'd be more inclined to trust the opinion of the erudite TP community :) To me it looks a perfect travel lens for the M series, I've the M and M2. I believe there are issues with this lens and the M3,

Back