Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Cant see them using f1.4 for a macro lens, seems a bit pointless?
I suspect they will need too large a front element to be able to fit LED lights, but who knows until official details are released?

The EF-M 22mm f/2 pancake has a tiny front element and is still bright and fast. If they can use the same drive in quality and size, no IS (let the camera pick up that role) then, hopefully it will be as useful as the 22mm. A 35mm pancake M would suit me perfectly.

The EF-M 22mm f/2 pancake has a tiny front element and is still bright and fast. If they can use the same drive in quality and size, no IS (let the camera pick up that role) then, hopefully it will be as useful as the 22mm. A 35mm pancake M would suit me perfectly.

If it is a 32mm f1.4 the nodal aperture must have a diameter of 32/1.4 = 22mm so the front element must be at least that diameter and probably slightly larger. So there's no way it can be as small as the 22mm lens. Still an interesting development and a step in the right direction for Canon - we need more fast primes!

had the first chance to play with my M3 +55-250.is.STM today very pleased with the results ,few more posted on my flickr stream .definite keeper for summer walkabout and surprisingly fast to focus to

welsh daffs by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

If it is a 32mm f1.4 the nodal aperture must have a diameter of 32/1.4 = 22mm so the front element must be at least that diameter and probably slightly larger. So there's no way it can be as small as the 22mm lens. Still an interesting development and a step in the right direction for Canon - we need more fast primes!

I realise the actual front dlement would not be the same size as the 22mm pancake but, looking at the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake and fitting a 32mm in the range, with a bit more strength than the 22mm (drop em they die) could and should prove a giant leap forward. It’s a start but let’s see where Canon go after the launch of their 3rd M Prime. .... 85mm foe Phil, 14mm for me [emoji56]

In passing, even with the adapter, the 40mm pancake works well on the M5.

I'd like a 135 f/2 pancake lens :)

The 135mm was always a favourite (and still is) on my Pentax 35mm but in crop sensor land the 85mm sits in that equivalent reach. The 85mm f/1.8 is not too bad on the M5 but again an ef-m 85mm would be a huge temptation. Problem is, I had a go with a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 ART.... acquisition tremors abound [emoji854] “get thee behind me Satan”

I'd like a 135 f/2 pancake lens :)

I see Amazon are saying 20th April for the M50. Thats a long wait :-(

Still pre-order in the US too. There is an expectation of a range of bundles being offered on release (multi lens bundles).

Next time I go it should have gone on sale.

Right, played with the lawoa macro, beautifully made looks to be a great performer for its price. I also looked at the 9mm, (on e mount, I didn't have my m body), again build quality is excellent. It would be very nice on the m mount cameras.

Anyway, on to the important bit...

The M50, thoughts based on a pre production camera.

Firstly I have to say that I was impressed far quicker than the m5 did last year! So that's a good start.

Build quality, it's finished in a different type of material to M5, but it feels quite well made and is comfortable to hold.

The flip out lcd is very nice, the usual responsive touch screen we have come to love from canon.

The viewfinder is crisp, bright and very clear.

Shutter response, seems really quick, I didn't notice any blackout, and this proved nice and snappy on take a shot and quickly recompose.Though as these were pre-production not even canon themselves were allowed to put memory cards in. It's quite fast for around 1-2 seconds and you hear the camera slow in burst mode. I feel it would be useable for most everyday stuff. But very difficult to say without memory card in.

Eye control, seems to work well, the camera has to be put in tracking mode to initiate eye af, as long as the face is square on it seemed to do a very respectable job, it did appear to lose the eye the more zoomed in, but again, it's pre-production. But I liked it.

Autoficus in general, I tried it the 15-45 and 55-200 first. The new dual pixel af is just excellent, moving it from the camera on display to a person continuously showed how nice and smoothly it worked. Very swift for single point. I also put my 18-135 stm on via my meike adapter and there was no real difference from the native lenses. It actually felt a bit quicker than on my 7d2 to focus! Eye af also worked with it too.

Video, the expected dual pixel in full hd was great, in 4k, it wasn't actually that bad, yes slower, but I didn't get the feeling it was poor, it was useable, crop in 4k, yes it's huge, but it's a good excuse to buy the 11-22...and it would be great for wildlife. No dual pixel in 4k down to not enough processing power, oh and it's entry level.

There were no pre-order deals on the m50 at the show. The guy at canon I spoke to wasn't able to give an exact date, but he said expect it late april-early may.

I think it is going to be a great seller for the canon tbh. And if you want one be sure to pre order to save having to wait longer. I am thinking of doing so myself.

Think that covers my thoughts. Hope it's useful.

Now that sounds really promising ,starting to enjoy the M3 ,and if this comes in at the right price point it’s going to be a simple seamless switch over.thanks for the heads up

Now that sounds really promising ,starting to enjoy the M3 ,and if this comes in at the right price point it’s going to be a simple seamless switch over.thanks for the heads up

Nice to here your enjoying the M3, cant bring meself to want to part with mine, although depending on reviews of the M50 I may then consider one.

Also like to comment on such a beautiful collections of pictures on your Flickr site, thanks for sharing.

Nice to here your enjoying the M3, cant bring meself to want to part with mine, although depending on reviews of the M50 I may then consider one.

Also like to comment on such a beautiful collections of pictures on your Flickr site, thanks for sharing.

why thank you kind sir ,he writes blushing :banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:
took this the other day with the M3 and 55-250is.STM two pics full frame first and then cropped in as far as I think it will go .pleasantly surprised I estimate distance at somewhere between 3 to 10 miles as the airdrome flight path is 10 miles away in blacon ,Chester

beluga ,pushing the limits by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Nice to see the ‘Guppy’ again. Handy sky as well!

The 55-250 STM is a bargain and sits well on my M5.

took this the other day with the M3 and 55-250is.STM two pics full frame and cropped in as far as I think it will go .pleasantly surprised I estimate distance at somewhere between 3 to 10 miles as the airdrome flight path is 10 miles away in blacon ,Chester.

Amazingly good after a crop, may have to look into getting one of those lenses meself.

Last edited:
Thanks Hugh, I'll have to have a chat with the wife see if she would like me to take her on another date :beer:

Needs must! Awful for you to have to ‘trade’ favours but the end might justify the extra effort.....

Needs must! Awful for you to have to ‘trade’ favours but the end might justify the extra effort.....

Just recently purchased the M6 so you can see why needs must..! :banana:

Just been looking on DigitalRev's website for the M50, and was shocked to see it selling (not in stock yet) for £661, body only. Thats £125 more expensive than Park Cameras and other UK outlets. Im sure it will drop as soon as the stock comes in, but its hardly what all this 'grey' lark is about.
What has the world come to lol.

Just been looking on DigitalRev's website for the M50, and was shocked to see it selling (not in stock yet) for £661, body only. Thats £125 more expensive than Park Cameras and other UK outlets. Im sure it will drop as soon as the stock comes in, but its hardly what all this 'grey' lark is about.

It's also more expensive in the US at $780 + tax, unusual for a new product to be cheaper here. Having said that the M100 is also quite a bit cheaper here than across the atlantic.
Possibly a sign of how weak the US dollar is at the moment?

Last edited:
May as well get a fuji or Sony for that price. Honestly I wouldn't bother with canon for mirrorless.. Not yet

In passing, even with the adapter, the 40mm pancake works well on the M5.

....It certainly does. That EF 40mm 'pancake' is a very good little lens. Its manual focus ring is superb.

May as well get a fuji or Sony for that price. Honestly I wouldn't bother with canon for mirrorless.. Not yet

....That's only a financially economic option if you are starting off from either having very little camera gear or none at all. If you already have Canon EF lenses it expands your EOS system very nicely indeed.

But I agree that I expect that Canon will have more to offer for mirrorless in due course.

....That's only a financially economic option if you are starting off from either having very little camera gear or none at all. If you already have Canon EF lenses it expands your EOS system very nicely indeed.

But I agree that I expect that Canon will have more to offer for mirrorless in due course.
Well not really. U need an adapter to mount canon lenses and if your doing that. U may as well get a cheap A7mk2 Sony and adapt to that. The form factor is not that much bigger then these canon apc ones.

Lack of native lenses on this mount is shocking. Cant see why you would consider this in all honestly.

It's also more expensive in the US at $780 + tax, unusual for a new product to be cheaper here. Having said that the M100 is also quite a bit cheaper here than across the atlantic.
Possibly a sign of how weak the US dollar is at the moment?

Will be interesting to see what happens on stock release.

The £ has risen against the $ so. In theory, prices should drop but I note the HDEW has increased it’s M5 Body price to £525 from £485 recently.

The M50 is ‘supposed’ to be the junior version to the M5 so should be cheaper. (Yes I know I am talking Grey but it is easier at this point as the UK market is minuscule whereas the wider market suppliers will be available earlier).

For anyone treading into the M50 series, a fair ‘starter’ kit that includes the 22mm pancake plus another lens at an attractive price would help it’s launch.

Could someone advise what the best telephoto lens is to get as there's quite a few budget zooms. Was looking at the 55-250 stm and the70-300 stm.

Could someone advise what the best telephoto lens is to get as there's quite a few budget zooms. Was looking at the 55-250 stm and the70-300 stm.
I have just started to use 55-250 STM on a m3 and its totally transformed the camera very quick to focus ,extremely sharp .and ultra light .the 70 -300 might be good but I would try and get some body/lens shots up on flickr first just put in your body and lens combo and do a search .....
I have posted some of todays shots a bit further up the page

I still can't decide whether to sell the M5 and buy the M50 or keep it and wait for a higher spec M5II

It can be a drug.

I used to suffer that issue with my hifi kit.

There are many things that could be better on the M5 (the LCD screen hingeing) but overall the balance and performance suit my needs.

By 70-300 stm do you mean yhe latest Mk II IS USM? Not aware of an STM version.

I have the original Mk1 which I use more on my 5D2 these days. The extra 50mm over the 55-250 stm is not of much interest ho me. The weight saving makes for a better handling on s crop body.

On my M bodies I generally use the EF-M 55-200, again for weight saving but the 55-250 gets a lot of use for it’s extra reach and the quality of it’s results.

All in, the 2 lenses are excellent but the bigger lens at around £450 against a lens less than half that price (even available <£120 on the bay) is down to your choice. The 70-300 is better built and the Mk 2 latest version gets a very good write up, might be eotyh trying to get to try both on your camera (assuming it is a crop model).

My Mk 1 70-300 is crap on my M5!

Many people will disagree.
Considering the M50 will sell for around £530, I have a M-EF adaptor and quite a few canon lenses I’m hardly going to get much for the same money if I go for a different system.
So it isn’t really an option that’s practical.

Last edited:
Well not really. U need an adapter to mount canon lenses and if your doing that. U may as well get a cheap A7mk2 Sony and adapt to that. The form factor is not that much bigger then these canon apc ones.

Lack of native lenses on this mount is shocking. Cant see why you would consider this in all honestly.
I tried the Sonys,fuji’s and canons at the show and actually preferred the Canons

Back