Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Hi Steve. Glad you are on the mend. Its been a while eh?

Thanks for the video. Ive seen that before. Ive been doing time lapses ok, i understand how to do them, with the M50, i just need to get the bulb ramping mode working and to do that you need to use Auto exposure in movie mode. I’m just tryin got find a quick way to turn tha ton and off.

Hope you manage to finally make it back to Ireland.

Hi Steve. Glad you are on the mend. Its been a while eh?

Thanks for the video. Ive seen that before. Ive been doing time lapses ok, i understand how to do them, with the M50, i just need to get the bulb ramping mode working and to do that you need to use Auto exposure in movie mode. I’m just tryin got find a quick way to turn tha ton and off.

Hope you manage to finally make it back to Ireland.

Dave

Thanks for your thoughts. Luckily my motorhome is already out there and I picked up a better (younger) Citroen C1 to tow as a runabout!

I will continue playing with the M50 - as said, I bought it for video. I have pre-ordered the ef-m 35mm - that’s my lot for 2018!

Steve

No problem Steve, good luck gfetting back.

I will get the 32mm but I’m waiting for the HK companies to get it, or for it to drop a bit in price. I’m sure you will let us know what its like :)

I mentionedvbefore that I have been using the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART with my M kit which is a very nice lens. It seems to have risen in price to around £399 but when it was released it was around £320 and Sigma offered a £90 cashback. On top of that I had another voucher for £30 so all in a bargain. This was sold as an EF-S lens (the older HSM version can still be had new for around £170).

I should get a reasonable trade in on the 32mm M lens when it is released and I would have a Canon adapter too. All in my aim is lightness of my walkabout kit and I think shifting the Sigma and M adapter on should get me a minimal outlay.

The sticking point is the performance of the 32mm M lens itself!

A bit of wondering here, assuming I can get the funds together.

New M5 body, £499.99 after cashback
New M50 body, available for £489

Or secondhand mint M5 body, £399.99?

What would your choice be?

E-Infinity M50 £429 with 15-45 lens

Sell lens for £100 and buy 11-22 M lens

A bit of wondering here, assuming I can get the funds together.

New M5 body, £499.99 after cashback
New M50 body, available for £489

Or secondhand mint M5 body, £399.99?

What would your choice be?

I’d say you need to weigh up what each camera offers rather than cost. IMO there isnt really much in it as far as money goes, but features might make a difference.

I went for the M50 as its newer and i wasnt to bothered about the extra controls the M5 has.

I took a few quick test photos outside a shop with M50 and their kit lens : does everybody swap for a better lens? Was it the lens that was soft?
I won't post pics until I've tried it again, maybe a setting was really off ...

Tried the Jpegs today and the standard mode is very good,
someone had fudged up the shop camera's settings last time. Grrr.

Last edited:
I was offered £400 from a well known camera equipment buyer for my M5 when I was thinking of buying the EOS R (not going to happen now) but I have it booked in to be picked up next week so I am wondering if I should let it go anyway and pick up a new M50 as I have read there is no shutter blackout in AF.C when using high fps?. I would miss the extra controls though.

I took a few quick test photos outside a shop with M50 and their kit lens : does everybody swap for a better lens? Was it the lens that was soft?
I won't post pics until I've tried it again, maybe a setting was really off ...

For me I was following a prime route. The 15-45 is the latest ‘kit’ lens. As I had bought the famous £199.99 original M kit which inclued the 18-55 kit lens which IMO is way better than the 15-45 (which I have too (£50 local!), )the kit also included a Canon ef-EF-M adapter and speedliggt 90EX.

The 18-55 is a better built and sharper lens IMO. The 15-45 can produce good results but beyond 32mm it’s brightest aperture is f/6.3!

The forthcoming EF-M 32mm f/1.4 should take the M series to a new plain

Steve

I was offered £400 from a well known camera equipment buyer for my M5 when I was thinking of buying the EOS R (not going to happen now) but I have it booked in to be picked up next week so I am wondering if I should let it go anyway and pick up a new M50 as I have read there is no shutter blackout in AF.C when using high fps?. I would miss the extra controls though.

I have both M5 and M50 - one day I love the M5 and nexr the M50!

Hope you are getting a decent price for your M5!

Steve

E-Infinity M50 £429 with 15-45 lens

Sell lens for £100 and buy 11-22 M lens

That is cheap! I really do like the idea of the 11-22, it would fit nicely in my new bag along with my 7d2 and 150-600 and 18-135 and I would then have all bases covered! The ideal kit would include the 22mm f2 and the the new 32mm lens too.

I’d say you need to weigh up what each camera offers rather than cost. IMO there isnt really much in it as far as money goes, but features might make a difference.

I went for the M50 as its newer and i wasnt to bothered about the extra controls the M5 has.
'

I do like the idea of opening something new if I could :D:), for what I'd use it for I don't think I would miss the extra controls. Also thinking back I was impressed a lot quicker with the m50 than I was the M5 first time around.

Thanks for the thoughts.

That is cheap! I really do like the idea of the 11-22, it would fit nicely in my new bag along with my 7d2 and 150-600 and 18-135 and I would then have all bases covered! The ideal kit would include the 22mm f2 and the the new 32mm lens too.

'

I do like the idea of opening something new if I could :D:), for what I'd use it for I don't think I would miss the extra controls. Also thinking back I was impressed a lot quicker with the m50 than I was the M5 first time around.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I have the 11-22 and 22, 55-200, they are the pick of the crop.

My sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART will go into the EF-M32mm f/1.4 when it arrives.

I still have the EF-S 24mm, EF40mm, EF-S 50mm and 60mm. Although large the EF 85mm f/1.8 works greay on the M5 as does the Sigma 150-600C!

Flexibility but lightweight too

Steve

I have the 11-22 and 22, 55-200, they are the pick of the crop.

My sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART will go into the EF-M32mm f/1.4 when it arrives.

I still have the EF-S 24mm, EF40mm, EF-S 50mm and 60mm. Although large the EF 85mm f/1.8 works greay on the M5 as does the Sigma 150-600C!

Flexibility but lightweight too

Steve

I have the 40mm f2.8 but it's a lens i hardly use these days, I keep thinking of selling it on.

I have the 40mm f2.8 but it's a lens i hardly use these days, I keep thinking of selling it on.

Same here. I got it when it first came out and have no issues with it on any camera, other than its an odd focal length. I have 35mm f/2 IS and 50 f/1.8 STM. This makes it too close to the others, but slower than both to have any advantage other than size.

It sits in my bag but I use it sparingly these days.

I will keep it as it owes me nothing.

A few peple supposedly ‘in the know’ reckon mid October but, frankly, I doubt they know.

Sooner the better!

A few peple supposedly ‘in the know’ reckon mid October but, frankly, I doubt they know.

Sooner the better!

I hate waiting for things lol. While im not in a real hurry to get it, im anxious to see some decent reviews about it in the meantime.

....The thought to part-ex my M5 for a EOS R has crossed my mind too as I only use EF (no EM) lenses and am not a fan of the M5 small controls but I have decided to wait and see what else Canon release in the not too distant future such as a M5-2, a 7D-3, a EOS R body with higher spec.

Your post informing a £400 offer is very helpful though. My preferred retailer who does part-ex is Wex.

The 15-45 can produce good results but beyond 32mm it’s brightest aperture is f/6.3!

My copy of the 15-45mm kit lens doesn't reach F6.3 until 42mmm. At the quoted 32mm it's actually F5, hardly an earthquake in terms of difference, but slightly better between 32mm and 42mm than suggested. I would have preferred Canon produced a brighter kit lens even though this would naturally have resulted in a bigger lens. The remaining existing EF-M lenses have the same problem of needing good light conditions to avoid ramping the ISO, with the honourable exception of the 22mm lens. I'll probably just use the EF to EF-M adapter and fit the smaller EF and EFS STM primes.

My copy of the 15-45mm kit lens doesn't reach F6.3 until 42mmm. At the quoted 32mm it's actually F5, hardly an earthquake in terms of difference, but slightly better between 32mm and 42mm than suggested. I would have preferred Canon produced a brighter kit lens even though this would naturally have resulted in a bigger lens. The remaining existing EF-M lenses have the same problem of needing good light conditions to avoid ramping the ISO, with the honourable exception of the 22mm lens. I'll probably just use the EF to EF-M adapter and fit the smaller EF and EFS STM primes.

I have seen varying results detailed for the 15-45 and wonder if there are variances inbuilt in their assembly. I have had ‘acceptable’ results with a silver cased copy but I would say that of the 4 that I have had, it felt ‘better’ in handling and a quicker focus was noticeable. For a lens in retail packaging with a price range from £189.99 - £259.99 (Camera Price Buster) it is a heap of s***e!

I have a copy from a kit bundle which I paid £45 for, that would be the limit. I would not sell one via this forum as I would be ripping people off to do so.

As you point out, the 22mm f/2 is an exception! I also have the 11-22 and 55-200 both of which I am happy with in both handling and results. I have the 18-55 kit lens which can work well but, for now my ‘street walkabout is a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ARR on my M6 with the adapter.

The new 32mm f|1.4M lens is the make or break of wether I stay with Canon M series. At £499 the new lens must justify it’s price. I have been through 5 poor copies of the M18-150 which were plagued with severe CA issues. Standalone price for that lens is around rge same as the new 32mm f/1.4. So the decision on the 32mm will speak to whether I stay with Canon!

I love the M5/M50/M6 kit and I want to ‘go the distance’ with Canon. Realistically the value of the 32mm as a lens is paramount!

Steve

So after suffering a bout of GAS at the weekend I started looking at the EOS M as a travel camera option and thought the M5 looked nice. However, I then took a look at the lenses and the choice isn't great as I'd ideally want something like a 24-70mm eq f2.8 or f4 at worst. Any idea if there's anything like this in the pipeline, do Canon provide a lens roadmap? I wouldn't want to start using adapted lenses.

So after suffering a bout of GAS at the weekend I started looking at the EOS M as a travel camera option and thought the M5 looked nice. However, I then took a look at the lenses and the choice isn't great as I'd ideally want something like a 24-70mm eq f2.8 or f4 at worst. Any idea if there's anything like this in the pipeline, do Canon provide a lens roadmap? I wouldn't want to start using adapted lenses.
Nothing like that unfortunately, other than adapting. Which is a shame, maybe something might come with the m5mk2 release, but nothing appears to have been rumored.

So after suffering a bout of GAS at the weekend I started looking at the EOS M as a travel camera option and thought the M5 looked nice. However, I then took a look at the lenses and the choice isn't great as I'd ideally want something like a 24-70mm eq f2.8 or f4 at worst.

Any idea if there's anything like this in the pipeline, do Canon provide a lens roadmap? I wouldn't want to start using adapted lenses.

....I don't think I have ever seen an official roadmap for anything from Canon - The most they do is state that future EOS products are being developed but with no specific information. Canon Rumors is probably the most reliable source for info you can get but it is just that > Rumours (spelt in English!).

Why wouldn't you want to use adapted lenses? - If it's important to you to keep everything small size physically I can understand but the best image quality you can get from an EOS M5 is by mounting a Canon EF lens on an adapter. I have shot images with my M5 + EF 24-70mm F/4L IS and wouldn't want to start using the EM lenses. Here is an EF 100mm shot on the M5 with IQ which should satisfy most people :

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND NOT SHY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

More M5 pictures with EF lenses on Canon Adapter in this album : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157683996949495/with/34553385232/

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you want to use adapted lenses? - If it's important to you to keep everything small size physically I can understand but the best image quality you can get from an EOS M5 is by mounting a Canon EF lens on an adapter.Flickr
Thanks, it's exactly for that reason, size and weight for travel (y)

22mm M + 50mm STM? Just keep the adapter stuck to it and call it native. Cheaper than many fast zooms, light as feathers

....In the same vein, keep the adapter stuck on and mount a Canon EF STM 40mm F/2.8 'pancake' which are ultra small. You could even pocket a Kenko 1.4x Extender to add extra focal length making it 56mm when desired. I haven't done the maths on the cost but surely not expensive > I bought two Kenko 1.4x here on TP Classifieds (one for a friend) and my 40mm 'pancake' from HDEW.

It may not be absolutely the smallest/lightest combo you can have (I'm not familiar with the EM lens options) but you would be exploiting the M5 (and doubtless also a M50) image quality. If you can be bothered to check out my Flickr EOS M5 Album and compare with my similar images on the 7D-2 or even 5D-4, I doubt if you can tell the difference.

Hey @Cagey75 Keith, are we actually agreeing about things!? :D

Last edited:
....In the same vein, keep the adapter stuck on and mount a Canon EF STM 40mm F/2.8 'pancake' which are ultra small. You could even pocket a Kenko 1.4x Extender to add extra focal length making it 56mm when desired. I haven't done the maths on the cost but surely not expensive > I bought two Kenko 1.4x here on TP Classifieds (one for a friend) and my 40mm 'pancake' from HDEW.

It may not be absolutely the smallest/lightest combo you can have (I'm not familiar with the EM lens options) but you would be exploiting the M5 (and doubtless also a M50) image quality. If you can be bothered to check out my Flickr EOS M5 Album and compare with my similar images on the 7D-2 or even 5D-4, I doubt if you can tell the difference.

Hey @Cagey75 Keith, are we actually agreeing about things!? :D

Stranger things have happened :D The only thing with Teleconverters is you take a hit on the aperture too, and the 40mm is already 2.8, so you're going to be down to F4 max?

Any 24-70 2.8 equivalent wouldn’t be small.
The 22mm and 50mm and 85 are my most used lenses on the M5, and the M5 and 85 give the 6d and 135 a run.
Though I think I’ll get the 32mm at some point. I have the zoom when going for ‘simple’ but honestly never use it.

22mm M + 50mm STM? Just keep the adapter stuck to it and call it native. Cheaper than many fast zooms, light as feathers
The 22mm and 50mm and 85 are my most used lenses on the M5, and the M5 and 85 give the 6d and 135 a run.
Though I think I’ll get the 32mm at some point. I have the zoom when going for ‘simple’ but honestly never use it.

I'm not a prime user tbh, especially on hols (y)

The only thing with Teleconverters is you take a hit on the aperture too, and the 40mm is already 2.8, so you're going to be down to F4 max?

....I would have expected so but because your comment had a question mark, I decided to check it out of curiosity and very unexpectedly when I mount together my M5 + Adapter + Kenko 1.4x + 40mm 'pancake' F/2.8, I can still set an aperture of F/2.8 according to the M5 screen and viewfinder. So, testing my other combos of relatively small lenses (not telephotos) :

M5 + Adapter + Kenko 1.4x + EF 100mm F/2.8L opens to F/4 widest < As expected when Extenders/Teleconverters are mounted.

M5 + Adapter + Kenko 1.4x + EF 24-70mm F/4L opens to F/4 widest < According to screen and the same behaviour as the 40mm pancake combo.

I don't fully understand this and am puzzled. I wondered at first if the Kenko Extender doesn't report properly to the M5 Canon body but then such behaviour is not consistent between the EF 100mm and 24-40mm both F/4L lenses.

It's not a problem to me in any event because with Macro work I'm never shooting as wide as F/2.8 and anyway reading the light at F/4 when the Extender is mounted has never adversely affected the resulting image.

:thinking: :help:

Last edited:
....I would have expected so but because your comment had a question mark, I decided to check it out of curiosity and very unexpectedly when I mount together my M5 + Adapter + Kenko 1.4x + 40mm 'pancake' F/2.8, I can still set an aperture of F/2.8 according to the M5 screen and viewfinder. So, testing my other combos of relatively small lenses (not telephotos) :

M5 + Adapter + Kenko 1.4x + EF 100mm F/2.8L opens to F/4 widest < As expected when Extenders/Teleconverters are mounted.

M5 + Adapter + Kenko 1.4x + EF 24-70mm F/4L opens to F/4 widest < According to screen and the same behaviour as the 40mm pancake combo.

I don't fully understand this and am puzzled. I wondered at first if the Kenko Extender doesn't report properly to the M5 Canon body but then such behaviour is not consistent between the EF 100mm and 24-40mm both F/4L lenses.

It's not a problem to me in any event because with Macro work I'm never shooting as wide as F/2.8 and anyway reading the light at F/4 when the Extender is mounted has never adversely affected the resulting image.

:thinking: :help:

The '?' was more because I wasn't sure if it didn't stop down even more, a 2x converter would drop a 2.8 to f/5.6. Odd that it's not doing it with the 40mm, did you notice any obvious darkening on the LCD? [if set to constant preview. not sure what that's called on Canon]

Tbh I don’t remember the Sony 16-50mm f2.8 being that big and heavy, but then my memory’s not the greatest :thinking:

Back