Canon EOS M Series Cameras

The '?' was more because I wasn't sure if it didn't stop down even more, a 2x converter would drop a 2.8 to f/5.6. Odd that it's not doing it with the 40mm, did you notice any obvious darkening on the LCD? [if set to constant preview. not sure what that's called on Canon]

....It is very odd behaviour.

I don't know what it's called in Canonspeak but my M5 is set so that it continues to display the subject on the screen until you physically cover a sensor at the viewfinder with your eye (or finger or whatever). I would have to set things up on a tripod and check any darkening on the same subject but I want my dinner! And there's some good telly to watch later (for a change!).

....It is very odd behaviour.

I don't know what it's called in Canonspeak but my M5 is set so that it continues to display the subject on the screen until you physically cover a sensor at the viewfinder with your eye (or finger or whatever). I would have to set things up on a tripod and check any darkening on the same subject but I want my dinner! And there's some good telly to watch later (for a change!).

Constant preview on my G80, for example, shows how the exposure will turn out, it will change as you adjust settings. I turn this off usually only when using off cam flash say for macro at very small apertures, as it'll show me a clear view even in very dark settings when switched off. It'll be called something else for Canon I imagine.

Last edited:
Constant preview on my G80, for example, shows how the exposure will turn out, it will change as you adjust settings. I turn this off usually only when using off cam flash say for macro at very small apertures, as it'll show me a clear view even in very dark settings when switched off. It'll be called something else for Canon I imagine.

Yes you're right, its called "Exp Sim" or exposure simulation on the Canon and works in much the same way

....The important consideration is how a lens balances physically on a body when shooting handheld.

You'll be holding by the lens rather than body always that's for sure. I used a Sigma 150mm macro on the Fuji X-T1, the lens was just over a kilo, and obviously connected to an adapter. The stress on the mount holding the camera only would have been pretty hard - luckily that lens had a tripod mount

I had the tamron version.such an amazing lens!

....On a Canon EOS M body? [This thread is discussing Canon EOS M series cameras]

Because if so, you will have been also mounting a lens adapter.

In this era of sophisticated 'lens > < body' electronic communication, I am not confident that the third-party lenses are going to quite match Canon's best. But that's just my lack of confidence about mounting Tamron and Sigma lenses.

Last edited:
You'll be holding by the lens rather than body always that's for sure. I used a Sigma 150mm macro on the Fuji X-T1, the lens was just over a kilo, and obviously connected to an adapter. The stress on the mount holding the camera only would have been pretty hard - luckily that lens had a tripod mount

....Don't most photographers use their left hand to both support and control settings on the lens? But I agree that it would be unwise to handle a heavier combo just by the body.

For what it's worth, I understand that Canon have strengthened the mount on the new EOS R body, doubtless to better support the heavier lenses. Perhaps future M bodies might have stronger mounts too, especially as the M5 in particular is designed to be used with EF lenses as well as the EM(?) lightweight lenses.

Last edited:
In this era of sophisticated 'lens > < body' electronic communication, I am not confident that the third-party lenses are going to quite match Canon's best. But that's just my lack of confidence about mounting Tamron and Sigma lenses.

I would have agreed with you a few years ago but SIgma especially have come on leaps and bounds. I have both the Sigma 150-600mm sport and the Canon 100-400mm MKII and the Sigma is my lens of choice on a DSLR however it's totally impractical on the M5.

....Don't most photographers use their left hand to both support and control settings on the lens? But I agree that it would be unwise to handle a heavier combo just by the body.

For what it's worth, I understand that Canon have strengthened the mount on the new EOS R body, doubtless to better support the heavier lenses. Perhaps future M bodies might have stronger mounts too, especially as the M5 in particular is designed to be used with EF lenses as well as the EM(?) lightweight lenses.

Yeah but there's those of us who don't like using straps :D so there is oft times after taking shots you'll just pull the camera back down with the right hand, with a small prime you'll walk about like that too.

I would have agreed with you a few years ago but SIgma especially have come on leaps and bounds. I have both the Sigma 150-600mm sport and the Canon 100-400mm MKII and the Sigma is my lens of choice on a DSLR however it's totally impractical on the M5.

....I suggest that your Sigma 150-600mm lens of choice rather than the Canon 100-400mm II (which I have too) is primarily driven by the longer reach the Sigma offers you. Agreed about the M5 being totally impractical and grossly unbalanced on any lens as big as the 100-400mm Canon and it's why I am so relieved that the mirrorless EOS R body is much larger than the mirrorless M5.

My earlier point was not about IQ differences between Canon L lenses and Sigmas/Tamrons but more about the two-way electronic communications between lenses and bodies [Reply #4648] and I have more trust in an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) brand than a third-party's valiant efforts. I only use a Kenko 1.4x Extender on my Canon Macro lens because my Canon Extender doesn't physically fit - I prefer to choose OEM every time.

Pixel peeping IQ differences can be discussed until the cows come home and as long as I am satisfied with my pictures and the camera gear I use, that's all I care about rather than the deep details of lens IQ comparisons.

....I suggest that your Sigma 150-600mm lens of choice rather than the Canon 100-400mm II (which I have too) is primarily driven by the longer reach the Sigma offers you. Agreed about the M5 being totally impractical and grossly unbalanced on any lens as big as the 100-400mm Canon and it's why I am so relieved that the mirrorless EOS R body is much larger than the mirrorless M5.

Actually I was referring to the Sigma being unbalanced on the M5, I use the 100-400mm on it all the time. As to my choice being driven by the length of the Sigma, yes it is but that is purely down to it being as sharp as the Canon 100-400mm but at 600mm rather than 400mm plus the 1.4x III as it also focuses just as fast and everything electronic works exactly as it should.

As long as you are happy with your pictures that's fine but I think the amount of lenses Sigma and Tamron shift shows that they are doing well enough.

Yeah but there's those of us who don't like using straps :D so there is oft times after taking shots you'll just pull the camera back down with the right hand, with a small prime you'll walk about like that too.

....The only strap I use is a Peak Design Slider across my chest with an Acratech Arca-Swiss Swift Clamp attached and I never shoot with the strap still attached - I wear the strap only to be able to hang an Arca-Swiss plated lens or body on while changing lenses or Extenders etc or to be hands free for a moment. The strap also serves to have small Lowepro pouches attached and easily at hand for each 1.4x and 2x Extender and also further back a pouch for a spare 1DX-2 battery (large!).

Manhandling a supertelephoto lens such as the Canon 500mm even when holding it by the (replacement A-S) lens foot is still going to unavoidably apply pressure between lens and body mount occasionally.

I only see advantages and no disadvantages whatseoever in Canon strengthening their lens mounts on the EOS R system.

Actually I was referring to the Sigma being unbalanced on the M5, I use the 100-400mm on it all the time. As to my choice being driven by the length of the Sigma, yes it is but that is purely down to it being as sharp as the Canon 100-400mm but at 600mm rather than 400mm plus the 1.4x III as it also focuses just as fast and everything electronic works exactly as it should.

As long as you are happy with your pictures that's fine but I think the amount of lenses Sigma and Tamron shift shows that they are doing well enough.

....Golly! Do you get on with the M5 mounted on your Canon 100-400mm L II? I tried it and hated the balance but I'm not keen on the M5's physically small controls anyway. It's good that you can report that everything electronic works as it should between your Sigma lens and Canon body - I know of cases where that hasn't been so on some combos and I personally am not comfortable enough to trust it. There are other reasons I don't buy Sigma or Tamron too but it is an utterly pointless exercise to start debating the pros and cons - I respect other people's choices.

Sigma and Tamron have certainly improved and are selling well but I think that their lower cost is also a big factor. Sigma seem to currently have a better reputation than Tamron overall but it depends on which lenses.

My earlier point was not about IQ differences between Canon L lenses and Sigmas/Tamrons but more about the two-way electronic communications between lenses and bodies [Reply #4648] and I have more trust in an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) brand than a third-party's valiant efforts. I only use a Kenko 1.4x Extender on my Canon Macro lens because my Canon Extender doesn't physically fit - I prefer to choose OEM every time.

Pixel peeping IQ differences can be discussed until the cows come home and as long as I am satisfied with my pictures and the camera gear I use, that's all I care about rather than the deep details of lens IQ comparisons.

I thought we were talking about the M series? and adapting larger lenses to it? :thinking:

I thought we were talking about the M series? and adapting larger lenses to it? :thinking:

....Indeed we were and are. My post you quoted was a discussion with Mike P about using third-party such as the Sigma and Canon EF lenses on the M5.

....Indeed we were and are. My post you quoted was a discussion with Mike P about using third-party such as the Sigma and Canon EF lenses on the M5.

That's what I've been talking about at least, adapting to the M and having to hold by the lens. The R 'should' be much tougher of course

Any recommendations on extra batteries for the M and M50. Mine seem to be dropping low on charge now and if I can get an M50 I would incest in a couple of new batteries too. The ones I have currently are maximail branded.

For the M50 the best non-OEM brand is Duracell in my experience
- I have used them in the original EOS M and they lasted as good as the OEM batteries.

Duracell Premium Analog Canon LP-E12 Battery for EOS M M2 M10 100D 7.2V 600mAh https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IFV5ZGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XJTOBbF5YY64C

In the case of the M5 I had 4 Canon OEM LP-E17 but have tried Qumox brand and they seem to last as long as the OEM originals and stay cool on charging.

Qumox 2x Battery LC-E17 LP-E17 EOS M3 M5 M6 77D 750D 760D 800D 8000D Dual charger display battery life https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07456B46P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8sTOBbJ1GMJ7Y

All in I am swayed by the fact that I had both an EOS M and EOS 750D which use the E12 an E17 respectively. These are ‘lightweight’ but the sizes of the M5/M50 dictates things.

Will be interesting to get
others’ recommendations.

Steve

Here it is

How about an unboxing video? ... no really.

I'm sure someone would watch it .... (just not me) :p

I went out with the M5, 100-400mm MKII and adapter this morning, got to the place I normally visit and it was so misty I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me. Back home with coffee and cake now, may go back later. (joys of having 2 weeks off work)

Last edited:
Nice, I love getting new gear in the post. What lenses are you planning to use with it?

I will use my 18-135 on it via the adapter, I do have an m mount 18-55 if I need really compact, but I prefer the range on the 18-135. My sigma 105 macro will find its way on to it as well. Just because I have one, I will stick the siggy 150-600 on it and maybe point it at the moon! I would really like to have the 22mmf2 though, but that's going to have to wait unfortunately.

I went out with the M5, 100-400mm MKII and adapter this morning, got to the place I normally visit and it was so misty I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me. Back home with coffee and cake now, may go back later. (joys of having 2 weeks off work)

:D It was bad enough having to wash the pots up and put washing out, before I could dive in!

So just updated the firmware to the latest, had a quick play with the wireless app, once I figured out how to connect it, though I can't remember what I did now o_O

A couple of things I liked,

you can make the focus point smaller!
I also mapped exposure compensation to the mfn button, one press and it appears to stay active so I can just twiddle the dial and then press the mfn button again to prevent accidental changes when not needed. Off on a much needed holiday in 8 days, so it will certainly get a bit of use!

I love misty mornings! :) They can add great atmosphere without having to do much. But, I guess with a tele lens in really heavy mist you're not going to get much

So I went out with just the m50, 18-135 and my sigma 105 today to sherwood forest, I never seem to end up using my 150-600 so decided to leave that and my 7d2 at home.

Have to say the camera is very enjoyable to use, it's great not to feel the hefty lump of the the 7d2, even on my black rapid.

Performance with the 18-135 seems great and I the focus seems really good.

I'm not to sure on the sigma 105, I think I need to make sure that constant af is switched off the next time I use it. I need a bit more use with it, but it generally works ok.

Battery perormance, was what I expected, I will most certainly have to get a couple of fresh new batteries for it. I updated the firmware, had a play with the wireless app and got 170 ish pictures on the first charge. That was including screen use as well as evf.

Without looking at the pictures, all in all a very good first experience with the M50. I was going top try the video out at a local badger sett tongiht, but not enough time to charge the battery!

I'm not to sure on the sigma 105, I think I need to make sure that constant af is switched off the next time I use it.

This ... I only have mine switched on if doing a video (so never really) :D

Actually I have done a couple on the M5 but have no idea how to insert them here from Flickr (apart from a normal link)

Last edited:
I just put my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM with adapter on the M5 and it dwarfs the camera, not heavy though and the IQ is excellent even wide open. It's not as sharp on my 7D, there is a lot to be said for mirrorless and not having to fine tune lenses.

Ive been using my 24-70 f/2.8 mkii on my M50 for a couple of weeks (and on holiday) and im quite surprised at how comfortable it feels. Still heavier than with the 18-135 or one of the EF-M lenses, but not as unbalanced as i thought it would be. Still more manageable than my 5D4 with the same lens.

Just noticed Amazon UK are now selling the 32mm f//1.4. Delivery by Monday. As much as i want to get it now I’ve just brought a new GoPro so ill have to wait for a few weeks.
Also eglobal have it for £399 if you don’t mind grey.

EDIT: Seems like everywhere has it now.

Last edited:
Which would remove the only remaining advantage of mirrorless, both body and lens size.

If the body doesn't use an adaptor, it needs the same size lens throat as their DSLR's, and uses the same size lenses, what's the point?

It sounds like an April fools joke to me.

Cough, cough....!

Probably best not to see this, Phil.....

Back