Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I have the 70-200 MKII 2.8 & the 100-400 MKII both work well on my trips,
I prefer zooms TBH so there isn't really anything to add to that.
( oh and I'm a brand whore so the Siggy Sport is out :D )

Sounds like youre all set.... then theres always the R5 :)

I also looked in depth at the 5DsR but is 50Mp truly an advantage?

5ds has been my daily driver for a while, in the right circumstances what it can do is utterly stunning.

But it needs peerless glass and technique to make use of the advantage it has, I have really only ever been able to exploit this in the studio with macro lenses.

I think that now that I have an M5 it will stay indoors mostly.

The R5 will need to depreciate a bit (Half price.) before I will consider one.

Sounds like youre all set.... then theres always the R5 :)
Isn't that the one you can also use as a BBQ on treks out? :D

In seriousness I've never an early adopter I wait for a bit ...

Ive done it a few times but I wont be for £4200, will also wait till it halves in price... eventually.
Yeah I did think the price was a tad OTT, when I first saw it mentioned. :(

Still wasn't the 1D series pretty outrageous when that was first popular?, now look at second hand prices of the older ones ;)

Still wasn't the 1D series pretty outrageous when that was first popular?, now look at second hand prices of the older ones ;)

The A9 was also crazy expensive but I waited a couple of years and used my A7iii and got the A9 for approx half the original RRP... then sold it shortly afterwards. :LOL:

I've also looked at the Sony's there are some great results being posted here, but TBH I have too much invested in Canon,
and I really CBA ( and getting to old :D ) to sell it all off and "Learn" a new system.

a 1DX MkIII is currently 6.5k, but you can kind of see where the money goes.

Gets me thinking though:

R5 = 5d
R6 = 6d
R1? = 1DX?

There is rumour of a M50 MKII being announced before the end of the year .... if that was to happen(and it's a good step up) I may rethink the R5 as I really want a crop for wildlife/airshows (hence no interest in a small sensor FF) and I have my K-1 for full frame stuff.

a 1DX MkIII is currently 6.5k,
OUCH!
And with all the "modern camera's they (canon at least?) seem heavily involved in the video side of things.
I wonder how many people like, me have no interest in video and would be happy with the camera, say half price with no video capability ?

Had to pop out to do a family shoot in the local park but once I got back the battery had charged and so I done a quick test of the M6 Mark II on the dog with the Tamron 24-70 G2 and Viltrox Speedbooster at F2. Quick bit of tinkering in Lightroom but I love this camera.

AAD63B57-0EEC-42CB-945E-F03595F4B804.jpeg

Starting to get the hang of my new M50, initial thoughts are the 18-150mm lens I bought with it will be a good go to lens when out and about and I dont fancy carrying my much heavier 5d4. Finding that I really like using my 100L f2.8 macro lens with the M50, and also the 70-300L lens.
I prefer using the EVF to the LCD screen as it means I dont have to put my specs on, one niggle I have noticed though which I guess I will have to get used to is the lag, in the captured image in the EVF disappearing and the live view appearing again.
Here is one of todays images taken with the 100L and cropped slightly_MG_0994.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one of todays images taken with the 100L and cropped slightly
That's not too shabby Andrew (y)

in the captured image in the EVF disappearing and the live view appearing again.
It is slightly irritating I agree, but you do get used to it,
even if it does mean, missing the second shot ;)

a 1DX MkIII is currently 6.5k, but you can kind of see where the money goes.

Gets me thinking though:

R5 = 5d
R6 = 6d
R1? = 1DX?
The R6 has the sensor from the 1dxII and up to 20fps with a better focussing system for £2.5k.

Seeing the R6 as a 6d equivalent is a misinterpretation:)

Last edited:
Seeing the R6 as a 6d equivalent is a misinterpretation:)

We can agree to disagree on that one.

But can we at least agree that the R5 isnt a pro spec item in terms of build quality, battery etc?

So at some point an 'R1' type camera will come along.

Although given the recent launch of the 1DX mk3 this could be some way off?

We can agree to disagree on that one.
This isn’t the time or place to discuss the merits of the R5 ;)

But as per my original post:
R6 20fps - 6dII 6fps
R6 dual card slot 6dII single card slot
R6 whole sensor focussing - 6dII 45 AF points

It’s simply a much better picture taking tool as it should be at twice the price.

So last night I tried a extreme experiment the Canon M6 MKII combined with the Viltrox focal reducer, the Kenko 2x, Tamron 100-400. The AF was as sluggish as anything which is to be expected with a third party TC on a F6.3 lens but thanks to the focal reducer, I was able to do a test shot of the moon at 896mm at F9 split seconds between it being covered by black clouds.

Going yo the park tomorrow for some birding so will leave the TC at home.

BA5056C9-A610-434E-AB87-C8E9F6D155D8.jpeg

So last night I tried a extreme experiment the Canon M6 MKII combined with the Viltrox focal reducer, the Kenko 2x, Tamron 100-400. The AF was as sluggish as anything which is to be expected with a third party TC on a F6.3 lens but thanks to the focal reducer, I was able to do a test shot of the moon at 896mm at F9 split seconds between it being covered by black clouds.

Going yo the park tomorrow for some birding so will leave the TC at home.

That's not too bad considering the focal reducer was used, I'm guessing you don't have a straight through adapter yet?
I suspect you will give a marked improvement.

That's not too bad considering the focal reducer was used, I'm guessing you don't have a straight through adapter yet?
I suspect you will give a marked improvement.

Thank you, yes the straight through adapter arrived about a hour ago, so will try that tonight, with & without the TC. I also have the 1.4x TC, so will give that a try as well without the focal reducer. I am hoping that I get some acceptable results from the Kenko 1.4x TC as it would save a fortune, due to the actual Tamron one costing £450.

Just took the M6 out in the garden and it doesn’t acknowledge the Kenko 1.4x at all On the straight through adapter with the Tamron 100-400. So will be leaving that in my kitbag

Last edited:
Thank you, yes the straight through adapter arrived about a hour ago, so will try that tonight, with & without the TC. I also have the 1.4x TC, so will give that a try as well without the focal reducer. I am hoping that I get some acceptable results from the Kenko 1.4x TC as it would save a fortune, due to the actual Tamron one costing £450

How you getting on with the your new camera? Always thought it looks a really good performer just havent tried one.

How you getting on with the your new camera? Always thought it looks a really good performer just havent tried one.

I got it on Tuesday but have only been doing experimental test shots with it as setting it up and learning the system has been quite time consuming where I haven’t had a lot of time. Now that I am comfortable with the controls, I will be taking it to the park tomorrow for it’s first official outing. But first impressions is that I love it, just have to master it.

So last night I tried a extreme experiment the Canon M6 MKII
Nice detail John (y)

I couldn't sleep either :D
obviously its a heavy crop and help from CS5 ;)
M50 + Canon 100-400 MKII is

As seen

043.jpg

And B&W conversion ( well, that is, de-saturated )

043B&W.jpg

Last edited:
Nice detail John (y)

I couldn't sleep either :D
obviously its a heavy crop and help with CS5 ;)
M50 + Canon 100-400 MKII is

As seen

View attachment 289084

And B&W conversion ( well, that is, de-saturated )

View attachment 289086

Thanks Cobra and a couple of brilliant shots from you as well . Still cannot believe how light this camera is, even with the 100-400 attached. But then when you are used to a 5D with a 70-200 F2.8 around your neck, most things are lighter .

Thanks (y)

And yet it was 100% cloud cover here last night,
Oh well no doubt it'll be around for a long time yet ( we hope ;) )

LOL, let's hope so.
It was sparkly clear here in Devon about 3.00 am and too hot for sleep, so I have no excuse, really should have gone out, no excuse, just lazy ;)

Went to the local park today and experimented with the burst mode on the M6 Mark II & Tamron 100-400. I absolutely love this camera.597768EF-1605-44A8-925D-B29186A1893A.jpeg

Going through my old camera bits and bods box I came across an old macro ring flash, so I though I would give it a try with a Canon 100 L f2.8 macro lens on my M50.

Got a few reasonable shots but it was a nightmare to set up, I was having to turn the flash exposure and camera adjustments down to -3 on each. I also found that sometimes I was getting a black viewfinder when looking at an object then all of a sudden it would brighten up and I could then see to focus it

Anyone got any recommended settings for such a combination which might make life more consistent and easier as the manual for the M50 is pretty useless with regard external flash unless I am missing something

I would add I put the same combo onto my 5d4 and it worked first time correctly each time

Last edited:
Anyone got any recommended settings for such a combination which might make life more consistent and easier as the manual for the M50 is pretty useless with regard external flash unless I am missing something
I too find that its a little hit and miss at times ( the macro ring) the camera should recognise the flash and set a max 200th/sec.
And the aperture, if it is to small for the image, you will get a blank view.
However I find that it does change ( the shutter speed, usually down wards) on its own from time to time and that's with the Canon MR14-EX and the 100mm is macro lens.

sometimes I was getting a black viewfinder when looking at an object then all of a sudden it would brighten up and I could then see to focus it
Also, in my experience, if you are relying on the flash if its not charged and ready, and the ambient screen needs the light.
you will get a blank screen until the flash is "primed to fire"

Thanks for clarifying your own experiences, I know on occasion I have fired off and the flash has not been ready, frustrating but unavoidable in the heat of the moment :)

So if I use TV or Manual mode best to set it to 1/200 anyway I guess. Interesting to see that you have the same issues with the Canon MR14 as I was thinking of saving up the pennies to get one of these - they dont seem to come up very often second user

This useage is where the 5d4 definitely outshines the M50 I guess, but this is what photography is about, experiment and try to learn and have fun

So if I use TV or Manual mode best to set it to 1/200 anyway I guess.
I would say so yes. Its seems "set" on 200 I rarely use manual, but you may even be able to over-ride the 200.
Try it and see :)

Interesting to see that you have the same issues with the Canon MR14 as I was thinking of saving up the pennies to get one of these - they dont seem to come up very often second user
I'd say they aren't exactly cheap second hand these days either, I have noted in the past that some members are getting good results from the much cheaper LED's
from various sources. If you are thinking of changing, check out the likes of ebay / amazon.
And then do a little research on the product (y)

This useage is where the 5d4 definitely outshines the M50 I guess,
Gripped 7DII for me, but the M50 makes a great light macro set up with the 100 mm IS L
With or without macro tube.

Not tried macro tubes yet although I bought some a few years back !!!

I was looking on Amazon the other day there seem to be so many of them nowadays, it was a remark I read online somewhere about the M50 having compatability issues with non branded that got me wondering, when I had the problems I mentioned earlier - need to change this one though as the cable is held together with electrical tape :cool:

Not tried macro tubes yet although I bought some a few years back !!!
I found that it won't work with anything over 31mm added.

it was a remark I read online somewhere about the M50 having compatability issues with non branded that got me wondering, when I had the problems I mentioned earlier
I've not heard that, TBH, I'm not sure why it should be so, but as I've never tried one, I can't say .

need to change this one though as the cable is held together with electrical tape :cool:
If it fails try Duck tape :D

Going through my old camera bits and bods box I came across an old macro ring flash, so I though I would give it a try with a Canon 100 L f2.8 macro lens on my M50.

Got a few reasonable shots but it was a nightmare to set up, I was having to turn the flash exposure and camera adjustments down to -3 on each. I also found that sometimes I was getting a black viewfinder when looking at an object then all of a sudden it would brighten up and I could then see to focus it

I would add I put the same combo onto my 5d4 and it worked first time correctly each time

Just a shot in the dark (pun not really intended) but have you got "Exp Sim" (exposure simulation) turned on? I know this one has caught me out a few times.

Back