Beginner Canon EOS R: Used or New?

Edit My Images
No
Thoughts from fellow photographers please! Would you buy the EOS R -

(1) new as a kit for currently about £3,000 with the 24-105mm f4 L, or

(2) the same used for about £2,000, or

(3) wait until the kit with the 24-105mm STM is available, advertised online for about £2,000 (but no indication when it might arrive given Covid 19).

Please, no suggestions to wait for the EOR R5 - I don’t need/want any more MP than what the EOS R offers. For me it’s more whether it’s perfectly acceptable to buy used and save about £1,000 when buying with the L lens, or whether buying new is better to get the full warranty etc. I’ve not bought used before so would be grateful for some sound advice, whether it’s reassurance or alerts what to look out for. For example how do i know the lens hasn’t been dropped and the IBIS is knocked. (I would buy from a reputable outfit such as MPB or a camera store, not Ebay, so no need to comment on that).

These are conundrums I hope fellow photographers understand (my family doesn’t!). Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Wex are currently offering 15% off used mirrorless bodies - there's one EOS-R in stock that after discount comes in at 1275 - that's a huge saving over option number 1. I've bought (and continue to) loads of stuff from Wex and their one year warranty on used gear is excellent - they also own Fixation so a lot of their repair work is at excellent rates and I've received nothing but superb service from them.
As for how do you know if it's good - that's always a risk and reasonable thing to worry about. The larger outfits such as wex, mpb lce etc. claim to inspect and test equipment.. I will say I've had to return items to both MPB and Ffordes due to faults/mis-descriptions but Wex has always been very solid imo.

Only you will know if the 24-105 f/4 is worth it for you. In my opinion, with the new glass coming out on the larger RF mount - there's some very special glass and whether the 24-105 is suited to those advantages is only something you can decide. The good news with the EOS-R is that adapted EOS lenses work great so there's always the option to save more there.

TLDR - nothing wrong with buying used - Wex give you 30 days to return, MPB 14 days - test it and see if you're happy.

im a reluctant used tech buyer. I often think that you get the protection of the warranty and generally better consumer rights if it arrives damaged/is not suitable.

That said since owning decent cameras I have bought used lens from the classifieds here, Camera World, SRS MIcrosystems and MBP. all have been fine and all have saved a large amount over new. If buying from a shop i look only at Excellent or as New grades.

I was reluctant, but i bought a EOS-R from E-Infinity before this corona crisis .It was only £1400 with the control ring adapter.I had no problems getting it and it arrived in 5 days.I normally used Calumet but the price difference swung it for me.

Back