Canon extender help needed.

Name
Shayne
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
I just wanted to ask what the difference is with the different type of Canon extenders. There is the 1.4xIII, the 2xIII and the 1.6x that is more expensive for some reason. Obviously they are different powers but what if any difference do they have. I would like to get the most reach I can but not if it's at the expense of image quality or loss of more aperture. Can you please share what you know about these with me.

Thank you.

:canon::exit:

Never heard of a 1.6x

1.4x will loose you one stop of light.
2x will loose you two stops of light.

Both will loose a bit of quality, but if used with good glass, the results are fine.
The 2x will cause some lenses to loose autofocus due to light loss. Unless you have a 1d series camera you would need a f2.8 lens to retain autofocus.

A 1.4x extender multiplies your focal length by 1.4 and decreases your maximum aperture by 1 stop. So for example a 200mm f/2.8 lens becomes 280mm f/4.

A 2x extender multiplies your focal length by 2 and decreases your maximum aperture by 2 stops. So for example a 200mm f/2.8 lens becomes 400mm f/5.6.

All extenders will cause a loss of image quality and a reduction in autofocus speed. Not so much for the 1.4x; more for the 2x. Whether or not this is acceptable is down to personal preference, but it's probably fair to say that with the big white prime lenses it's not going to be an issue.

Using an extender may also result in the loss of autofocus capability due to the changed maximum aperture. For example a 400mm f/5.6 lens will autofocus, but a 2x extender makes it 800mm f/11 and that will not autofocus.

Extenders should only be used with high quality telephoto lenses, because of the image degradation issue. Canon design their extenders so that they will not physically fit any lenses which Canon deem to be unsuitable. The extenders have protruding front elements and require the host lens to have a recessed rear element. Some third-party teleconverters do not have this design feature and can be used with lenses which Canon deem unsuitable, but the results are not going to be as good.

Canon lenses which will work with extenders are all "L" series primes from 135mm upwards, the 400mm "DO", and the 70-200mm, 100-400mm and 200-400mm "L" series zooms. (But not the 70-300mm "L" series zoom.) You can also use extenders with Canon tilt-shift lenses.

Anything else you need to know?

Last edited:
Thank you Stewart and Elliott. I have a 70-200II and would like the extra reach of the 2x but I am concerned that the image quality wont be as good as the 1.4x extender. Would you say that the image quality is the same with both extenders or is it better on one?

I have to say that I have a fantastic 70-200 f2.8 is ll that give much better results than my meagre talents deserve. when I put my x2 lll tc on it its decidedly average to say the least.

I have to say that I have a fantastic 70-200 f2.8 is ll that give much better results than my meagre talents deserve. when I put my x2 lll tc on it its decidedly average to say the least.

That surprises me. I know you lose some image quality but not to the point a 70-200 f2.8 is II becomes average.
I am in the market for a extender and was favouring the x2 over the x1.4 mainly for the extra reach, now having second thoughts.

totally agree... got rid of my x2 extender..tried it on the same 70-200 and my 400 2,8

1.4 extender is OK on the 400 if I use at 5.6 minimum

1.4 extender on 70-200 is OK but you can tell the difference with and without.. also for some explained reason not every shot hits home focus wise when extender on..

all in all an extender will lose you quality..it depends on what you can live with or live without...

Back