Canon Extenders

smooth

Threebrows
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all!
Just looking for some advice please - I have a Canon 70-200 f4 and love it, but could do with some more length on it. I have been researching the 1.4 and 2x extenders, but wanted to get someones opinion about whether losing the 1 or 2 stops is a worthwhile compromise?

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice!:)

I have the 2x extender with the 70-200 2.8 IS and it works a treat....acts a direct replacement for the 100- 400 which I did have! Being 400 f8 maybe be a bit limiting to you however, so it depends on what youre shooting really!!

Cheers for the repsonse PC, I usually use it for wildlife photography - particularly birds. Im thinking that the loss of 2 stops would make it hard to 'freeze' them in flight. But when on ground or feeding it could be good. If I went for the 1.4 I would only loose one stop, but would only get 280mm. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Hey all!
Just looking for some advice please - I have a Canon 70-200 f4 and love it, but could do with some more length on it. I have been researching the 1.4 and 2x extenders, but wanted to get someones opinion about whether losing the 1 or 2 stops is a worthwhile compromise?

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice!:)

Hi, i have the exact same combo, 70-200 F/4L + 2x TC, it effectively makes your lens 400mm F/8 which is slow and in my educated opinion, only worth while in VERY good light, i've had one good shot from mine and took the combo to chester zoo last week and ended up scrapping the 2xtc - i wouldn't bother.

I have the 2x extender with the 70-200 2.8 IS and it works a treat....acts a direct replacement for the 100- 400 which I did have! Being 400 f8 maybe be a bit limiting to you however, so it depends on what youre shooting really!!

70-200 F/2.8 L IS + 2xtc is nowhere near as sharp as the 100-400 @ 400.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/400v400.shtml ;)

Unless you are using an EOS1 or EOS3 derivative, you will lose autofocus with a 2x on an f/4 lens.

Paul

I assume you mean film there?

I have full autofocus with my 70-200 F/4L and 2x Kenko tc, it's slow though and hunts a bit.

With the Canon 2x extender you will lose AF with any body that isnt a 1 series (or 3 series with film) on any lens that takes you over F8 unless you tape the 3 pins and with the impact on focus performance its simply not worth it.

I use the 1.4 with my 70-200 F2.8 IS USM L and it works a treat.

I assume you mean film there?

I have full autofocus with my 70-200 F/4L and 2x Kenko tc, it's slow though and hunts a bit.

Any 1 series body will AF down to f/8, film or digital. I didn't know the EOS 3 did, but I can believe it. 1/3 series AF sensors are more sensitive so need less light.

Canon 2x extenders tell the body not to AF it the aperture is f/8 or smaller to prevent hunting. You can tape the pins and fix this, but you not supposed to (I think its becuase too much hunting in a short time can burn out the USM lens motor.)

Your Kenko doesn't turn off the AF if i remember right. It will be f/8 and so hunts, but in good light will lock. Just don't rag the lens too much! I suppose you could remember the old chestnut 'only used Canon approved accessories'. Though I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!

Hope that helps

Paul

Wow all! Thank you soo much for your replies! I do have a 1d Mk1 so wouldnt loose AF.
Think I can draw the conclusion from all your great responses that:
A) 1.4x wouldnt really be worth it for the extra length,
B)2X Would give better reach but as WEZ130 points out - the f8 ap would only suit it to VERY good lighting conditions.

Thank you all so much for your replies - as usual your knowledge and advice astounds me!

Thank yoooooou!

I use the 1.4X TC with the 70-200 2.8 L IS sometimes, and it's pretty good image quality, although truthfully, if you have to use a converter they're best behind a prime lens.

This was taken with the 70-200 2.8L IS and 2XTC, Whilst it looks OK at this size, there is an obvious drop in image quality when viewed larger.

OY8N7034-01.jpg

For what the converters cost though compared to lenses, you may as well give yourself the options.

Amazing shot CT!
Seems to be that most people who use the extenders do so with their f2.8 lenses.

Thanks for the advice - its much appreciated!

Back