Canon External Speed Light Control with Profoto help needed

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
I’m using a Profoto B2 with my Canon 5d4.
I can control the B2 via the Air TTL remote And if I use the external speed light control in camera can control the power output with my thumb with exposure compensation which is great

BUT

As the Profoto Displays do not
Show any change in the power what am I actually changing ?
Does anyone know?
I assume that in changing exposure Compensation power is in fact being adjusted in the Profoto otherwise what’s changing
It’s not the aperture or iso.
Thanks in advance for your. Help.

Hi Ed - does the shutter speed change at all when you change the exposure compensation? I don't own any Canon cameras, however my understanding is that the EC on Canon cameras only affects the background light - ie the ambient light. Flash Exposure Compensation affects TTL flash - and may be set on the camera or on the back of the speed-lite (or in your case, on the "Air remote".

I don’t have a 5dIV or any Profoto gear.
Are you talking about exposure compensation or flash exposure compensation?

FEC changes the flash power

EC changes SS or aperture (depending on the mode) on most Canon cameras.

Thanks both
FEC is what I've been using but I was confused as to what it was actually changing as nothing changes on the TTL remote power settings but the power does seem to be be adjustable
via the camera.

Thanks both
FEC is what I've been using but I was confused as to what it was actually changing as nothing changes on the TTL remote power settings but the power does seem to be be adjustable
via the camera.
FEC just outputs more flash power, so you’d not see any changes to any settings (unless you use the TTL to manual function)

nothing changes on the TTL remote power settings
I'm a little confused. TTL never tells you the power setting that will be used; because that is unknown until the pre-flashes fire... so there should be no remote power setting display to change. On most the display will show the FEC setting (e.g. -1), but often not until after the picture is initiated and the new setting is sent to the strobe (some remotes have a button to send the settings manually, and some can be set to always transmit any changes).

I’m using a Profoto B2 with my Canon 5d4.
I can control the B2 via the Air TTL remote And if I use the external speed light control in camera can control the power output with my thumb with exposure compensation which is great

BUT

As the Profoto Displays do not
Show any change in the power what am I actually changing ?
Does anyone know?
I assume that in changing exposure Compensation power is in fact being adjusted in the Profoto otherwise what’s changing
It’s not the aperture or iso.
Thanks in advance for your. Help.

if you're in TTL mode on the remote - what looks like the flash exposure compensation on the remote is not a flash exposure compensation - you have to use the camera's functions for that. In actual fact what those +1/+2 etc on the remote do is change the flash power ratio's between groups - if you're just using one flash/group (A/B/C etc) you won't see any change because it will always use the TTL setting of the camera. If you're in manual mode then the +1/+2 etc change the power level for that group from what was last shot. Hope I;ve understood you right and that helps. General approach is to fire a test shot in TTL, then switch the remote to manual and adjust how you want it. Otherwise keep TTL and adjust in camera.

Back