Canon FD 35-70mm f4...help.!!

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
good news/bad news

traded my Canon FD 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 into Ffordes against the f4 model for £9..(y)
''reputably'' better IQ ...who knows.:shrug:...better built though

anyway .................

good news...found a Canon W-62 hood at Rocky Cameras for £3.99
as mint ..yeah right.!! ....but arrived - and absolutely original and mint...:plus1:

ordered a front lens cap from eBay ''FotofrenzyUK'' £10
good nick but rubbish fit..:thumbsdown:
looks like tape, or a felt seal, on the inside lip of the hood has perished so doesn't stay on the lens nose

any ideas what to use as a self-adhesive seal material...?.....thanks

edit...just unpeeled a 4mm wide paper self-adhesive strip off the inside lip of the cap

I assume this was the base of a felt or rubber seal

the W-62 hood has a 4mm felt seal where it fits over the lens nose - I assume this is what was on the lens cap too

any ideas what to use.?

I've got some Fablon with a black velvet finish - like this - if you want to try it?

Bought it to coat the inside of a couple of EF mount lens hoods - the chinese knock off's aren't flock coated like the real things from canon ;)

great....that looks possible

the strip is 4mm by 22cm

i can PM my address ....thanks

No worries - i'll stick an offcut in the post tomorrow - plenty to have a couple of attempts if needed.

Mark.............came in the post....enough to do zillions..:LOL:

the narrower strip was just the job..... many thanks...(y)

it's quite handy stuff actually - and works a treat as a flocking on the inside of cheap plastic petal lens hoods like I've got for some of the canon EF stuff - damned Canon cheapskates not including lens hoods when you buy a lens - unless it's a L one of course. Though actually, one of the knock off one's I had to flock was destined for the 17-40L - or at least for the 17-40 when it's on the Dijikal camera. With the silly crop factor, the standard lens hood is neither use nor ornament, so the recommended option is to buy the lens hood that's made for the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS. Well - the genuine lens hood is something like £28, and I wasn't 100% convinced it was going to work, so it was a lot to speculate, for something I might end up having to take the Dremel to. So - I bought a decent quality knock off from china, and it worked great for around £3. Another 50p worth of flocking, and it's as good a the real thing :shrug:

the 72mm lens hood [for my 'future' 35-105 Canon FD] I got from Shanghai Sheila ..:eek:..is matt black with maybe 50 or more concentric grooves on the inside face

looks ok but worth flocking..?

Aaahh the old Groovy lens hood - I've got one of those for the FED-3 (though it was badged "For Leica" - yeah right, I'd be putting a bit of chinese monkey metal on Leica glass... anyway, the ridges inside the hood seem to cut down the reflctions on their own. Though, I suppose, if it was flocked, you could reverse it over the lens cap for storage, without worrying that the grooves would saw through your treasured lens :)

.................. you could reverse it over the lens cap for storage, without worrying that the grooves would saw through your treasured lens :)

:thinking:...cannot do that - it's a threaded filter not a Canon reversible bayonet type

I'll decide if and when I get the lens...thanks

good news...found a Canon W-62 hood at Rocky Cameras for £3.99

Please make sure you Google for people's experiences with this seller. From experience, I could not recommend him.

Please make sure you Google for people's experiences with this seller. From experience, I could not recommend him.

thanks...had 2 experiences
1...bought a Hoya 55mm HMC UV ------ looked as if cleaned with a brillo pad..:LOL:

2...bought the above Canon W-62 hood at £3.99---excellent. mint. sealing felt strip as new.....(y)
elsewhere £10-15...

so 50/50 ATM

Indeed, I read he changed his nick a few times on Ebay, had numerous complaints and has now formed his own web site....you can get bargains from him but any problems and............................................

Back