Canon Fd lens price jump

Is that the only advantage? The breechlock lenses seem to be a little cheaper, not significantly so but £30 for the 50mm 1.8 is pretty much as high as I’d want to go. The newer ones seem to be £40-£50
I have only used Canon lenses for a short time and that was years ago probably around 1990. My appreciation of the Breechlock and FD lenses was the better build quality of the breech lock being all metal but the far better coating on the FD lenses gave them the edge over the slightly 'plasticky feel of the FD's

I have only used Canon lenses for a short time and that was years ago probably around 1990. My appreciation of the Breechlock and FD lenses was the better build quality of the breech lock being all metal but the far better coating on the FD lenses gave them the edge over the slightly 'plasticky feel of the FD's
The lens I just bought is the newer plastic one. I’ve been done with 35mm for about 2 years now. I’m going away for a few days in April so I got the camera to take with me. It’ll be 35mm’s last chance with me, at least for a main camera. If it doesn’t click with me like it used to then I’ll sell the EF along with the 50mm 1.4 and stick to digital for most things and 4x5.
I’ve been making prints with my old 35mm negatives with an enlarger I just got but I got it mainly to make contact prints easier with the 4x5. Using 4x5 occasionally has been enough to scratch the film itch.

The prices of all things analogue have gone up in the past couple of years possibly because the good bits are tending to dry up and the lack of knowledgeable trained technicians to get them up and running properly again. A lot of the older people are reaching or have reached retirement age and are closing down. Even in Holland A dealer in the Hague who's website I look at occasionally taking into account the exchange rate what they have to offer is more or less on par with what we would be asked to pay for here

It may be me but not only is it fungus that keeps rearing it's ugly head but a few years ago we never heard about haze. It must have always been there but no once made a fuss about it and now it is cropping up everywhere with used optics of all ages and even some cameras.
I have a Nikon 35/70 AFD f2.8 constant and that will produce poor contrast with digital but perfectly normal contrast with film. I just cannot fathom it.

I also have a very old Vivitar 28/90 series 1 lens to fit a Minolta MD mount (late70's- early 80's perhaps) which is as clean as they come when new and apart from the focus being a little stiff it works as good as ever. Why is one designers lens apparently more susceptible than another's? Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses don't seem to be affected at all.
Forgot to mention is another advantage of the breechlock is you can test the iris stopping down which you can't do easily with the FDN.....probably why in a pawn shop (many years ago) saw in the window a FDN 50mm f1.8 for £1.80(o_O why not round it up to £2 :)), with everything locked on the lens it would appear it wasn't working.
Primes too expensive? There are always zooms going cheaper and I have quite a few and favourites I use....but as mentioned before there is the problem of copy variation and I've been caught out in the past when e.g. everyone was raving about the Vivitar series 1 zooms, so bought one (Tokina) and my copy was crap and gave it to a charity shop.

The lens I just bought is the newer plastic one. I’ve been done with 35mm for about 2 years now. I’m going away for a few days in April so I got the camera to take with me. It’ll be 35mm’s last chance with me, at least for a main camera. If it doesn’t click with me like it used to then I’ll sell the EF along with the 50mm 1.4 and stick to digital for most things and 4x5.
I’ve been making prints with my old 35mm negatives with an enlarger I just got but I got it mainly to make contact prints easier with the 4x5. Using 4x5 occasionally has been enough to scratch the film itch.
There is always the fun of using screw lenses (only the ones you can manually stop down the lens e.g. Pentax)...... on your Canon with an adapter.

Forgot to mention is another advantage of the breechlock is you can test the iris stopping down which you can't do easily with the FDN.....probably why in a pawn shop (many years ago) saw in the window a FDN 50mm f1.8 for £1.80(o_O why not round it up to £2 :)), with everything locked on the lens it would appear it wasn't working.
Primes too expensive? There are always zooms going cheaper and I have quite a few and favourites I use....but as mentioned before there is the problem of copy variation and I've been caught out in the past when e.g. everyone was raving about the Vivitar series 1 zooms, so bought one (Tokina) and my copy was crap and gave it to a charity shop.
I’ve got a fd to Fuji adaptor I usually test stuff with first.

There’s a couple of 35-70mm zooms. I’ve just never got on with zooms. I’ve had them for landscape stuff but I get choice paralysis. If I go out with a zoom, a second camera or another lens I spend more time chopping and changing

This is what I have in 35/50mm.

FD 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4.

FD Breach lock 50mm f1.8 SC. This would be my choice as I just love the build of the older lenses.

All look to be in VGC without any obvious issues. All have been used on my mirrorless cameras.

Also have a Miranda 24mm f2.8 "Macro," FD 24, 28mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8.

I might list these next week if anyone is seriously interested. Might also list my Rokkors and some of the Zuikos before I ring a dealer.

If you have an 85mm in amongst those Rokkors, I'd also be interested.

As for the original poster.

Mirrorless cameras have opened up a whole new market, but the biggest price increase across many vintage lenses seems to have been when people started using them for video applications. With many being fully converted for cine use (addition of geared wheels to pull focus etc).

Canon FD lenses are among the more sought after along with Leica and Zeiss.

I'll put some lenses in the for sale section soon. I'll go through them and see what I want to keep but it wont be many and the rest will be listed here before I ring round the dealers.

I think the biggest decision for me is which Nippon Kogaku's I keep. I have 24 and 35mm f2.8's, 50mm f1.4 and 50mm f2. I was thinking of keeping one of the 50's as these lenses are just gorgeous but I can't decide which as they both have their charms. The f2 is a bit more compact and lighter (I think) but the f1.4 has that extra light gathering and bokeh going for it.

I'll put some lenses in the for sale section soon. I'll go through them and see what I want to keep but it wont be many and the rest will be listed here before I ring round the dealers.

I think the biggest decision for me is which Nippon Kogaku's I keep. I have 24 and 35mm f2.8's, 50mm f1.4 and 50mm f2. I was thinking of keeping one of the 50's as these lenses are just gorgeous but I can't decide which as they both have their charms. The f2 is a bit more compact and lighter (I think) but the f1.4 has that extra light gathering and bokeh going for it.

If you could give me a nudge if you do have a Minolta 85 going in the for sale section.

I've partly filled that hole as I have just ordered a 100mm F/2.5 and also have a 28-85 zoom. But it would be nice to have a prime.

Back