Canon FF mirrorless...

Add a decent Canon L lens + RF adaptor onto the Canon EOS R and it becomes a very comparable size to a conventional DSLR setup.
I see this as one of the few disadvantages of using EF lenses on the EOS R along with the reported AF-C (Tracking) performance.
If your going to buy into the EOS R system, going with native lenses when all the focal lengthens are available in RF mount should be your end goal. :)
I see that the Sony A9 has been mentioned a few times in the thread but I’m not sure it’s a fair comparison as the A9 is probably the best mirrorless body available in its segment. :)

Really Phil? Where do I use the term native lens?

That just confirms what I have been saying all along
So what precisely was your comparison point?
When you post...
I’m aware it’s an adapted lens/camera issue. Regardless of where the issue lies, adapted lenses have never been great when compared to their main body counterparts.

When comparing ‘adapted lenses’ what does ‘main body counterparts’ mean if it doesn’t mean ‘native’?
Is your comparison point real? What are you comparing an ‘adapted lens’ to if it’s not a native lens? A goldfish? Hang glider? Carrot?

Last edited:
So what precisely was your comparison point?
When you post...

When comparing ‘adapted lenses’ what does ‘main body counterparts’ mean if it doesn’t mean ‘native’?
Is your comparison point real? What are you comparing an ‘adapted lens’ to if it’s not a native lens? A goldfish? Hang glider? Carrot?
A main body counterpart quite clearly isn’t the same as a native lens.

I used the term body for a start.

Add a decent Canon L lens + RF adaptor onto the Canon EOS R and it becomes a very comparable size to a conventional DSLR setup.
I see this as one of the few disadvantages of using EF lenses on the EOS R along with the reported AF-C (Tracking) performance.

Oh god not you as well. :banghead:

It is not an adapted EF lens issue, it is a camera issue ... the camera is poor when using AF.C no matter what lens is on the body, be it native or adapted.

Wasn't there an offer to take this to PM between the two of you! :rolleyes: :banghead:

As above.. nothing to do with the lens being adapted.

I wonder if you’re just pretending to not understand. Adapted lenses are no worse than native, you keep trying to describe a problem that simply doesn’t exist.

Apologies, yes he offered it to be behind closed doors, because he hasn’t got a clue and he insists on repeating the same nonsense.
Phil sadly your only left with name calling and I do not wish to converse with such a person.

Apologies, yes he offered it to be behind closed doors, because he hasn’t got a clue and he insists on repeating the same nonsense.
Or maybe he has his point of view, and you have your point view, and rather than the continued back and forth and sniping, wanted to take it away from the thread. But no, you carry on. :rolleyes:

The natives are restless. :puke:

The number of reports we're getting on this thread is daft. I haven't time to work out exactly who's right and who's wrong but you know what, it doesn't really matter that much.

Choices
1. easy option - just blanket ban people that can't stop arguing :)
2. difficult - encourage a spirit of friendly debate without resorting to insults.

Your choice guys :)

Using DSLR lenses on mirrorless is easier as in its simplest form (as just a mechanical device with no AF or electronic communication) the adapter is just a spacer to restore the registration distance.

.... That's not quite true. The Canon, and no doubt Nikon, adapters to be able to mount D-SLR EF lenses on a mirrorless Canon body have plenty of electronic communication contacts and on the latest EF lenses it can be two-way communication and not just lens > body. The adapter has no glass but is much more than just a spacer ring.

.... That's not quite true. The Canon, and no doubt Nikon, adapters to be able to mount D-SLR EF lenses on a mirrorless Canon body have plenty of electronic communication contacts and on the latest EF lenses it can be two-way communication and not just lens > body. The adapter has no glass but is much more than just a spacer ring.

I didn't say or mean that adapters don't have coms or don't enable modern features, I said "in it's simplest form the adapter is just a spacer" just to keep it simple. Actually it's a little bit more than that as it's also a mount adapter. Adapters with electronic coms still perform the spacer and mount adapter rolls but add the things that electronic coms bring such as exif and af and other stuff.

I have been away for a couple of days (so lots of catching up here to do!) photographing Deer ruts - Both Red Deer and Fallow Deer.

I had with me my R + EF 100-400mm L II and my 1DX-2 + EF 500mm F/4L II but I didn't use the EOS R even once!

Why? Mostly because of distance I would have had to keep swopping bodies and missing shots but also because I have already experienced that shooting active wildlife on the R is either unreliable or I just haven't learnt how to succeed with it yet. This capture of a passing Jay simply would most likely been a failure on the R but on the 1DX-2 at 14fps I nailed 5 out of 7 and was able to choose the one with the shape I liked the most.

I hasten to add that I have absolutely no regrets about buying the EOS R as my second body and for capturing shots of subjects better suited to it. Stags fighting and having sex is better on the 1DX.

JAY IN FLIGHT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back