Canon 'Fit' batteries

Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone any experience with non-canon batteries for the 40d?

To get a 2nd genuine battery seems like a lot of money compared to one's on offer elsewhere such as http://www.digi-quick.co.uk who sell replacements for £10.99.

My only concern is about safety rather than actual performance. A quick search on google brings up a worrying document about 'fake' canon batteries exploding and/or leaking.

My guess is it only affects batteries that claim to be canon batteries but are fake. Batteries which are direct manufacturer replacements should hopefully be ok?

I'm using non-canon batteries in my 40D, in fact I had them from my old 300D and theres no problem, they last for ages.1550Mah batteries for £10.99 incl' delivery is not bad at all. Let me know how you get on with the company as my son will be on the lookout soon for spare batt's...he inherited my old 300D.

Yep same here, I never buy official Canon batteries, they are stupidly expensive.

I use cheap £5/£10 batteries from eBay, work perfectly fine.

Yup, 2 batteries from ebay from the US set me back about £7 for the 30D, works a charm.

I stopped using canon batteries a long time ago, - I see that the new 1d mk3 batteries are just £99 - £99 Canon are you mad?

I think the only reason to use original batteries is to ensure compliance with warrantee conditions - once that has expired - sell them on fleebay, and buy three times as many third party batteries with the profit with no loss of performance or reliability

7dayshop sell Canon batteries for cheaper - 2 for £11 or so. I got some recently and they're great.

I got cheap ones from 7dayshop and use them in my 400D, they work fine; no complaints.

I got a 3rd party one from Kerso along with my 40D and although they're normally both in the grip, I've tried them both in the camera and I'd say the 3rd party actually gives slightly better performance.

And, it was £7! Bargin!

When in cold damp conditions. rain or snow.. wet will get into the battery compartment on a lot of cameras using none branded batteries.. your camera will shut down because it becomes wet inside.

I bought none standard and work in winter , it took a bit of figuring out what was going wrong... I now have an 80 quid second battery and wish I ahd never bought a third party one..

If your going down that rd then make sure they are sealed and moist can't get in.

Wow. I'm lucky then and never had that problem. I bought some third party batteries 3 years ago for my 300D and am still using them on my 40D, 50,000 shots later. I've had neither camera shut down in the rain.

I'd have to agree with that, I bought some for my original 10d which are still in use today with about the same acctuation count, I still have the second pair and third pairs I bought as back up, one set is brand new never unboxed and the other is in my bag, ;)

Wow. I'm lucky then and never had that problem. I bought some third party batteries 3 years ago for my 300D and am still using them on my 40D, 50,000 shots later. I've had neither camera shut down in the rain.

10d batteries dont rely on the battery to be part of the seal does it... 1d series bateries have to be sealed as part of the camera... I ahvent seen all the other models so dont know..

Your right, but I still have had no problems with them, agree totally with what you say but can only speak as my experience allows(y)

10d batteries dont rely on the battery to be part of the seal does it... 1d series bateries have to be sealed as part of the camera... I ahvent seen all the other models so dont know..

i dont think i have any original canon batteries for my 10d.. 3rd party seemed to last longer... but 1d series... I gotta pay fulll whack as part of camera... so six of one and half a dozen of the other i guess :)

I bought third party as they were 1550mah against the canon 1100mah. You can get even bigger ones now, but mine last a couple of 4gb cards on Raw, so I'm happy.

i dont think i have any original canon batteries for my 10d.. 3rd party seemed to last longer... but 1d series... I gotta pay fulll whack as part of camera... so six of one and half a dozen of the other i guess :)

I have heard that some 1D third party batteries are weather sealed, but many aren't, so you have to choose wisely.

I have some aftermarket 1D batteries that are physically identical to the Canon versions and work fine in all weather conditions.

For anything except the 1 series, the batteries are in a compartment with a door so don't have this worry.

Paul

As everyone else has said, the replacement ie non Canon batteries work fine, used them in a 1Ds and 40d from 7 day shop.

I use 3 party batteries in 1d cameras in the rain - lots and lots of rain (I live in Wales and shoot sports), the rubber seals on the batteries work just the same as the canon ones, just cost a lot less - not all 3rd party batteries are the same though....

ive had no problems with my non canon spare battery, interesting to hear about the problems in damp though!

damn sight cheaper too!

Back