Canon Flash, Fuji body.

Name
Julia
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there any reason not to use a Canon flash (600EX-RT) with a Fuji body (Fuji X-T1) ? I'm guessing I don't get the use of all the features, like the radio transmitter?

In related news, having waited ages for canon to actually release the 430 EX-RT flash, they announce it the week I decide to switch from Canon to Fuji...

J

I wouldn't expect it to work at all, Julia, other than perhaps in a fully manual mode, and maybe not even then. There's an awful lot of communication between the camera and the flash, and different manufacturers use different "languages" to achieve this.

Allegedly the TTTL comms between Fuji and Canon are the same. The pins are in the same position. It may work but I wouldn't completely trust this.If it works now a firmware upgrade may break it in the future. I would bet it can't use the radio transmitter. It should work in fully manual mode as well.

FWIW I use SB900s with mine in fully manual only and normally via pocket wizards. I have a fuji TTL flash, but TBH the fuji flash system isn't great. I know there is a Nissan flash thats recommended for Fuji nowadays

Allegedly the TTTL comms between Fuji and Canon are the same. The pins are in the same position. It may work but I wouldn't completely trust this.If it works now a firmware upgrade may break it in the future. I would bet it can't use the radio transmitter. It should work in fully manual mode as well.

FWIW I use SB900s with mine in fully manual only and normally via pocket wizards. I have a fuji TTL flash, but TBH the fuji flash system isn't great. I know there is a Nissan flash thats recommended for Fuji nowadays

The pins are in the same position so the extension cords for Canon work properly between Fuji bodies and flashes but as Stewart says, the likelihood of the pins carrying the same information in the same format between a Fuji body and a Canon flash is probably very low. I would expect the flash to fire in fully manual mode since that (usually) is controlled by the central pin and the "earth" of the shoe but TTL etc. is probably not going to work.

Nothing to stop you using it, it will work but will be turned into a manual flash. Far better idea if you have moved from Canon anyway would be to sell the Canon flash and buy : 2 Yongnuo YN560IV's & a Yongnuo TX560 (canon version) and a Nissin I40.

This will give you a great manual two light off camera flash system which can be fully controlled from the camera position. And a nice small powerful TTL flash (Nissin) for times you want TTL. And even after buying all that you will probably still have change.

Back