Canon Flashgun flashing, but not illuminating image

Edit My Images
No
I've been using the Canon Speedlite 550EX for a good few years now. I actually have two of them. Very recently I've noticed that the primary flash was flashing, but the image would not be lit. At first this was happening every 1 in 15 clicks during a studio shoot. After a few days it was 1 in 5 clicks. I had not altered any of the flash sync settings, and usually shoot at 1/160 -1/200, so never need to manually set the flash sync. I couldn't figure out why this was happening and therefore started using the second flashgun as a replacement. Now after about 2 week, the same this is happening. Does this sound familiar, and if so what may be causing this? Part of me is thinking it could be the age of the flachguns, and that they've simply come near to the end of their life. But it seems weird that they would both suffer the same problem. I switch between auto and M flash settings for images, but the problem occurs in either case.

What trigger are you using? What batteries?

I'm not using a trigger. The flash is camera mounted. I will try the flashes on my other camera and update.

I've also done a factory reset, but to no avail. Also the problem doesn't occur when using the built-in flash.

Is the hotshoe secure? the Canon hotshoe does occasionally work loose

Back