Canon G1X

Earlier in the year i sold all my kit (5D2 based) and bought a G1X.
1 week later i took it back. Why?
Well, i found the ISO at 640 was not as good as the ISO at 1600 on my 30D 6 years ago.
(This is the same size sensor but with a Digic 5 instead of a Digic 3)
The A/F was so slow that my grandsons party was full of pictures without children because they had vacated the scene by the time the shutter had actually worked.
The missing hard copy manual made it difficult to take out and learn.
The menu was nothing like any previous Canon i'd owned and needed to be learned.

The build quality was good and i liked the focal range of the lens, along with aperture range. I have large hands, so the size was good for me to hold - and i could fit it in the pockets that hold those hands :)

But sadly, the IQ and usability were not even close to the 5D2 i'd sold, and to be honest - not even a patch on the 30D of 6 years ago. I would have been happier with a 30D+ 50mm f1.8.

I'm now the owner of a Fuji X-Pro 1 - slightly different beast, but much more in keeping with what I wanted.

The canon g1x sensor is slightly smaller than the SLR ones, but bigger than the micro 4/3 ones.

Sensorsizes.png

So in reality its not really fair to compare it to a DSLR with a bigger sensor.

I would say the G1x is an addition to anyone who already owns a DSLR and needs a high end P&S when its not convenient to carry a SLR.

Picture quality on the other hand is on par to a DSLR - hence the big price tag. :)

Last edited:
Not had those problems...but I'll try it in similar conditions and report back

Just to update - was looking for a case for my new G1x.

There were several out there - but with a filter adapter, UV filter and a lens cap - it makes it a little bigger.

I didn't want something really big - just a case big enough to hold the camera and maybe a battery.

After trying a few I bought the Lowepro Edit 100.

The camera fits quite snug in there with the filter adapter on - its not too tight - but very snug - however, if you dont have a filter adapter - then this case it perfect for this camera - it will slide in an out with ease.

Last edited:
Back