Canon G1X

Have to say cannot fault ProCameraShop
Initial price when I ordered it was £589.99
Day it arrived (2 days later) it had gone down on their web site by £40
not happy AT ALL, so contacted ProCameraShop and they promptly refunded me the £40 reduction
Can not praise this company enough, very very good service, prompt reply to all emails
As said current UK price £699 from main dealers, £549.99 from ProCameraShop that's £149 cheaper
Big price difference

Think we've both done good Tony, i too just couldnt pass up the opportunity at saving over £150 (and also couldnt wait) ;)

Any tips tricks yet mate that you want to share... at the moment ive just set the focus point manually to the middle of the shot - seems to work fine. You played about with the focus settings yet for better results?

Just road testing it this week Chris
I'm in Spain at the moment and have just been down to Gibraltar for the day
lots of photo opportunities to be had
I had a G10 and most of it is similar but there's much more to get to grips with on the G1X

Last edited:
I've a whole load I have to sort through yet
but look at the dogs eyes, they were two different colors (NO Photoshop used ... honest)
thought I was seeing things :thinking:
handsome looking animal

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9639/dogwitSPAMolouredeyeswtm.jpg
By tman500 at 2012-03-08

More to follow
I am loving the Canon G1 X (y)

Last edited:
After alot of consideration, I've just pulled the trigger on one of these. Looking forward to getting it now and having a play with it.

Anyone else got one? How are you finding it?

Mine arrived yesterday :D Have only been able to take a few test shots so far, but I am very, very impressed with the IQ. It doesn't look like there is much between it and my 7D, which is incredible for something so relatively small. Exactly what I wanted :)

Great price and service from Panamoz as well.

Last edited:
C'mon guys (Chris, Tony, Simon, others) we need feedback on the G1X. Impressions, pics, etc. :)

Last edited:
For various reasons including weather, I've not really had much of a chance to use mine since I got it late last week. From the few shots I have taken, I'm very impressed with the IQ. I'd say it's almost if not as good as my 7D. My biggest gripe from the limited use it has had so far is the shot to shot speed which is quite slow.

It does have other 'faults' which seem to be well documented on the web, including a fairly useless viewfinder and limited use for Macro shots, but you can add a Canon close up filter to overcome the latter to some extent, but I have never really shot Macro so it doesn't bother me personally. The viewfinder isn't really an issue for me either. An Articulating LCD is something new to me and works very well and I can see it being very useful in certain situations.

Personally, I wasn't looking for another camera with an interchangeable lens system, just something that was fairly compact which it is, had some flexibility (i.e. zoom), good low light performance and excellent almost DSLR quality IQ that I could easily take with me when I didn't want to lug my DSLR kit around. This is exactly what the G1 X achieves. I did consider a Fuji X10 as well, but the pro's of the G1 X won over it's con's, for me anyway.

Anything this size is going to have it's compromises, but it has to be one of the best if not the best (if IQ is your top priority) fixed zoom compacts on the market today. It is expensive, in the UK at least. I paid £490 for mine which I think is a fair price for what it is. I wouldn't have paid £700 for it.

Overall so far, I'm very happy with it. :) I just need to get out and use it a bit more :)

There is a G1 X group on Flickr which is worth a look if you want to see what it is capable of.

Last edited:
....Personally, I wasn't looking for another camera with an interchangeable lens system, just something that was fairly compact which it is, had some flexibility (i.e. zoom), good low light performance and excellent almost DSLR quality IQ that I could easily take with me when I didn't want to lug my DSLR kit around.....

Thanks Simon, that's exactly what I want it for. (y)

Lovely images Simon.

I have just taken delivery of a G1X, ready for my motorbike road trip around the USA, but have only tested it indoors so far and am battling my way through the almost incomprehensible manual :wacky:

Having taken my 5D mkll/lenses/filters/flash etc on the bike in the past and found the weight and bulk just too much to cope with, I decided a compact was vital. I used a S90 on other trips and it was fine for snaps, but I wanted something with a bit more quality (and the zoom lever has stopped working on it anyway, which gave me an excuse to look for something else;)). The large sensor of the G1X just swung it for me. I don't care that it doesn't do macro or shoot rapidly as I am going to be shooting primarily landscapes. Fingers crossed that I haven't made an expensive mistake.

Thanks.

I found just having a play with it and then just looking up the bits in the manual that I couldn't figure out worked best for me :)

I still haven't really had a chance to put it through it's paces properly. It's been very grey and wet here recently. The shots I have posted here were taken in poor light with grey skies, so I guess they aren't too bad considering.

I understand where your coming from regarding the 5D MKII etc., I took my 5D MKII and a few lenses on a recent 6 week trip around India. I'm really glad I did take the 5D with me, but there were quite a few occasions where something like the G1 X would have been ideal. I can totally understand being on a bike with limited storage space would make the G1 X very appealing. Excellent IQ and low light ability in a relatively small package.

From the use it has had so far, I still think the G1 X is a great camera. The shutter lag is my biggest bug bear with it, but I think anyone who buys a G1 X already fully understanding what it's negatives are will be very happy with it. At the end of the day, no camera this size is perfect.

If it's of any interest to you, pattern filter adaptor rings have just become available on Ebay for sensible money. Just search for FA-DC58C. There are 2 types available, one in ABS plastic and one in black anodised aluminium. They are both the same price. I've opted for the aluminium version, but am going to have to wait a while before it arrives from China!

Have a great time on your bike trip in the US. Look forward to seeing some pic's c/o the G1 X.

Simon.

I hope you guys are still enjoying yours?

I ordered one today from DigitalRev in HK (~£460, but that's delivered to Dubai) having never seen one or touched one in real life. First time I've ever done that but I just feel it's a camera that I'll use. :shrug:

Jackwow said:
I hope you guys are still enjoying yours?

I ordered one today from DigitalRev in HK (~£460, but that's delivered to Dubai) having never seen one or touched one in real life. First time I've ever done that but I just feel it's a camera that I'll use. :shrug:

Dont think you will be disappointed, I love mine and my x100, be very difficult you decide if I had to be rid of one of them ;)

Regarding the slow AF, If you reduce the size of the AF 'box' on screen it will increase af speed so I have read! Worth a try.

Still enjoying mine :). It really is great when you just want to have a camera on you and can't be bothered with lugging all your DSLR kit around. The IQ is really excellent.

The AF is a bit slow, but not that slow that it is unacceptable. The shot to shot speed when shooting RAW (which I do all the time) is definetely my biggest gripe with the camera. that is slowwww...

Do you know how to reduce the size of the AF box? Wouldn't mind trying it to see if it makes any difference.

Case update for Jackwow (Neil)
SC-DC75 from WEX etc. £99.99
Digitalrev £69.95 delivered all the way from Hong Kong
Thats £30 quid cheaper, are we being shafted or what ?
Very nice case, genuine NOT a copy
took about 2 weeks but very impressed with the service / price and comms

:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Tony. (y)

Is it comfortable to use with the case open, i.e., top part still attached?

A friend bought a G1X and let me have a play with it, to be honest it didn't really do it for me. It wasn't at all what I expected, build wise and in use. I ended up buying an X10 as a carry round camera. So far I'm well impressed with the results, it will never replace my 5D mkii but its a really nice little camera and it looks cool :cool:

A friend bought a G1X and let me have a play with it, to be honest it didn't really do it for me. It wasn't at all what I expected, build wise and in use. I ended up buying an X10 as a carry round camera. So far I'm well impressed with the results, it will never replace my 5D mkii but its a really nice little camera and it looks cool :cool:

Those are my feelings exactly. We were going to get a G1X for my assistant to carry around but after trying one it was too slow in many departments, and too bulky for me to carry. The X10 by contrast is a lot of fun to use and slips easily into a coat pocket. And as you say it's cool to look at (especially when clad in a leather half case with a Gariz or Gordy strap).

Mine arrived from HK last night so haven't had a chance to use it yet.

However build quality seems to be excellent and it feels very solid.

However the lens cap is very fiddly.

One thing I have noticed is that if you look through the viewfinder you see the top of the removable ring around the lens in the bottom left corner, which seems strange!

Congrats :)

The build quality is excellent. I don't understand those who seem to think it isn't? Some seem to be more concerned about how pretty their camera looks :)

I've bought a copy filter adaptor ring which takes the cap size up to 58mm for which I bought a DSLR type lens cap. Much better.

The viewfinder is not much use apart from situations where the viewfinder is unusable. I've not actually come across this situation yet even with the bright harsh sunlight here in Southern France. The articulating screen is excellent though and more than makes up for it IMO.

Last edited:
i have just purchased one as well.

So far early indications are good. I was taking some pics in Low Light and the camera was fantastic, gave SLR quality pics.

Its been raining for a while so no pics outside yet -but will put some up when I get the chance.

On another note I was looking at some cases for it. I looked at the Canon DCC-1800 and the Canon SC-DC75 however I am after one which is fully enclosed to keep light rain out.

What cases you guys have opted for?

I got the SC-DC75 but find that when it's open and holding the camera in portrait mode the case gets in the way.

Having said that even with the cover off I find the G1X quite uncomfortable and awkward to hold and I'm going off it rapidly! :crying:

After using the G1X it's a joy to hold my 7D again.

I use the strap you have in the Ebay link (Canon hand strap E2) on my G1X
and prefer it to the neck strap
works with or without the case attached
would recommend without hesitation (y)

Excellent - Do you have any pics by any chance of it attached to the camera?

Would like to see if it adds any bulk to it at the bottom where the tripod screw is attached.

EDIT - Can you still open the battery door with the E2 attached?

Last edited:
e21w.jpg

By tman500 at 2012-07-23

e22c.jpg

By tman500 at 2012-07-23

You can't open the battery door with the E2 attached but only takes a few seconds to unscrew the bottom tripod fixing, NO real problem

:exit:

Last edited:
Any of you guys using this as an 'upgrade' from the G11/G12? Is it true that the G1 X is actually slower in operation, and the AF is slower? The APS C sensor is such a draw but it seems it's better for more relaxed photography. I sometimes use the G11 for some street photgraphy, but if anything could do wiith an even faster camera (which is why I use others too! :) )

Best thing to do would be to have a play with it in Jessops or something.

That's exactly what I did prior to purchasing - and I was quite happy with the AF speed.

Macro isn't great - I admit that - but I won't be using this camera for macro purposes anyway.

Back