Canon G9 - any good?

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
Just wondered if anyone on here has one and if it is any good?

All of the reviews seem to say it is good apart from noise at high ISO settings (i've never come across a 'compact' camera that doesn't have a lot of noise at high ISO).

The prices are now pretty good, so I'm tempted. I want something that I can throw in a bag quickly when I can't take all of my other gear. Plus, it has the bonus of sharing the same battery, charger, speedlite and software as my 400D :)

Don't actually have one but know people who do..takes very capable pictures up to ISO 400 but then noise rapidly starts to show..

As you say, it does take the Canon accessories and for the money, IMHO the G9 is a very good buy, providing you accept it's ISO limitations.

Cheers, Mark

I'd say get one. Like all compacts, it does suffer from noise at higher ISOs, but it's beautifully made, shoots RAW files, has all the modes and controls you'd expect on a DSLR, does what it does well really well, and it's a pleasure to use tbh.

I'v not got one, but am planning to get my hands on one this summer (going to certain places, mainly a music festival in Spain where my big 40D would be firstly an annoyance to carry around and it's prohibited anyway).

Looks like a great compact, Canon make brilliant compacts (I have several from the IXUS range) and seems to be pretty much the best on the market.

The thing with noise is that you are ALWAYS going to get bad noise at higher ISOs on compacts, it's not a DSLR and won't perform like one.

I owned one for a while. Very capable camera, but deep down I wanted to make the move to DSLR so sold it.

As sidekick to an DSLR I think it'd be great. The only other camera that seems to get recommended with the G9 is the Ricoh GX100 but from the sample photos I've seen of that I think the pictures suffer from noise too

I personally can't think of a better compact out there, and as you say it's pretty compatible with Canon gear you already have

Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll go for it. It should make a great sidekick for my 400D :)

Back