Canon G9

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking about getting my Mrs a G9 for her birthday. She's often with me on photo trips and she show a lot of enthusiasm for the hobby, asking questions about shutter speeds, exposures and ISO etc.

We have (had) an Olympus C5050Z but my son has "borrowed" it while at University, so I thought the G9 would be a good idea.

Couple of questions though:

What's its high ISO performance like ?

I know it eats CF cards, but is it hard on batteries ?

Thanks for any input
Steve

Very hard on batteries - i went through 2 on the Bluebell railway meet! It uses HCSD not CF (- just for info).

will see if i can find some high iso pics for you if not i can take some after ive had lunch.

The card that comes with it has room for 1 (one) RAW shot. You will need a card(s) with a bigger capacity - say 4Gb, cost about £20.00.

I have one and have really pleased with the pictures that it takes. Mine is currently faulty and I am waiting for contact from Canon to sort out repair under warranty. As long as this is fixed okay, and I presume that it will be, I think that it is a brilliant camera.

The G9, like every other compact megapixel digital camera isn't too great at high iso, best images will come at 400 or under, but unless you go for something with an APS-C sensor (Sigma are the only manufacturer with a compact with one) then it's just a fact of life.

Other than that image quality, both still and video, is excellent. As Toothie pointed out it takes SD not CF cards, but that just means you can get a 2gb branded card for under a fiver ;)

The G9, like every other compact megapixel digital camera isn't too great at high iso ;)

Do you think?

I've used mine at 1600 quite a lot and think that the quality is OK. I agree that its better at 400 but I'm actually very impressed by the G9 at 1600.

I've used it to take pics at a few gigs and at 1600, when combined with the ability to squeeze a couple of extra stops when processing the RAW image makes me feel like It can take photos in the dark.

It's a very sexy piece of kit I'd say.

Back