Canon "Goto Wide Angle" Choices?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in the market for a wide angle lens to add to my collection, it is to be used on a 7d MKii & quite possibly a 5d MKiii if cash allows.

I've only ever had an old Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 wide angle which was attached to my 600d.

So what is people's goto wide angle lens for landscape photography and general wide angle tomfoolery?

I've been looking at the 16-35mm f/2.8 but are there better choices in that price range? Of course happy to spend less if needs be!

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I've just read a few reviews on this one after I posted the thread. It does appear that value for money wise this is the lens to go for.

I've just read a few reviews on this one after I posted the thread. It does appear that value for money wise this is the lens to go for.
Only if you're going for the 5d, on crop it's not that wide.

TBH you can't really shop for a single wide angle lens for 2 different formats. The new Canon 10-18 gets a good press and is relatively inexpensive too for your 7dII

Yeah the problem is (and there have been about 3 or 4 of these threads in the last few days) 16mm really isn't that wide on crop. I wouldn't get it unless you are sure you will go to the 5d/6d in time.

edit: Beaten to it by Phil :p

Only if you're going for the 5d, on crop it's not that wide.

TBH you can't really shop for a single wide angle lens for 2 different formats. The new Canon 10-18 gets a good press and is relatively inexpensive too for your 7dII

Yeah the problem is (and there have been about 3 or 4 of these threads in the last few days) 16mm really isn't that wide on crop. I wouldn't get it unless you are sure you will go to the 5d/6d in time.

edit: Beaten to it by Phil :p

That hadn't even crossed my mind till you guys mentioned it... I think the chance is I will go FF but that might not be for several months. Not wanting to buy and EF-S lenses anymore if I can avoid it.

But thanks very much, always good when someone comes up with the obvious I'd not thought of! :banghead::banghead:

That hadn't even crossed my mind till you guys mentioned it... I think the chance is I will go FF but that might not be for several months. Not wanting to buy and EF-S lenses anymore if I can avoid it.

But thanks very much, always good when someone comes up with the obvious I'd not thought of! :banghead::banghead:
The Sigma 12-24 is the only FF UWA that's still wide on crop. It's still a different lens on the 2 formats though.

You didn't specify zoom in your request. Do have a play with the Samyang 14mm lens. It's manual focus (but that's not a big deal for very wide angle lenses) and the focus distance ring is a work of pure fiction, but you can get some really really good shots out of it, it can be very sharp and it's one of the best value full-frame lenses available for Canon.

Back