Canon help, need a new one quickly

Edit My Images
No
Its me again, my Daughter and I both use Canon 350d's
Well one of our Canon 350d'S has packed up, its showing Err99 whilst on holiday
Luckily we had two with us so no images missed, but could have been a show stopper.
I am thinking of buying a 1300D for my Daughter as she needs a reliable camera quickly, whats your thoughts? I know second hand would save a few quid but I need reliability etc.
John Lewis are doing it for £309 with a two year warranty?

https://www.johnlewis.com/canon-eos...hd-1080p-18mp-wi-fi-nfc-3-lcd-screen/p2641322
Or should I pay the extra £50 and get the IS lens one?

https://www.johnlewis.com/canon-eos...hd-1080p-18mp-wi-fi-nfc-3-lcd-screen/p2641264

Thanks

Its me again, my Daughter and I both use Canon 350d's
Well one of our Canon 350d'S has packed up, its showing Err99 whilst on holiday
Luckily we had two with us so no images missed, but could have been a show stopper.
I am thinking of buying a 1300D for my Daughter as she needs a reliable camera quickly, whats your thoughts? I know second hand would save a few quid but I need reliability etc.
John Lewis are doing it for £309 with a two year warranty?

https://www.johnlewis.com/canon-eos...hd-1080p-18mp-wi-fi-nfc-3-lcd-screen/p2641322
Or should I pay the extra £50 and get the IS lens one?

https://www.johnlewis.com/canon-eos...hd-1080p-18mp-wi-fi-nfc-3-lcd-screen/p2641264

Thanks

Amazon UK are doing the bundle with the IS 18-55 for the same price... £309.
Also Canon are going a £20 cash back too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CU8J...0&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B01CU8JYXS&th=1

Thanks just found that but its showing dispatch in 1-4 weeks?
i assume its worth the extra for the IS lens?

Possibly, although if you already have a kit, do you really need another kit lens?

Possibly, although if you already have a kit, do you really need another kit lens?
We just have the basic kit lens from both 350d'S, neither are IS, what I am thinking is they are both well used so why not start with a fresh camera and lens, she takes much better pictures than I do so I don't mind the extra for a complete new set up.
I will continue with the working 350d as we have all the odds and ends that go with it.

If all you are ever going to use is the kit lens you are better off with a rx100m3 than a DSLR

If all you are ever going to use is the kit lens you are better off with a rx100m3 than a DSLR
We do have several other lenses, my budget is £300 and I am going to have to part with a couple of her old film cameras to finance it so thats way over budget

Currys/pc world also do this for £309 plus canon £20 cash back. I don't know where you live, but there must be a currys near you, so you could just go and buy it and have it straight away.

In my view it's a bl**dy good new camera for the price. Having said that, I've just looked at the lens specs and it isn't IS. So maybe not any good for you.

Think you can grab one used around your budget.

Anyway IS is worth having if you do a lot of handheld especially in low light and indoors.

Think you can grab one used around your budget.

Anyway IS is worth having if you do a lot of handheld especially in low light and indoors.
Thanks she does struggle in low light so it should be worth the extra.
I need the piece of mind of new but having just returned back from holiday I an skint so going to sell her T90 film camera and a large easel we no longer use to help finance it

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/...s/Canon-EOS-1300D-Camera-with-18-55mm-IS-Lens

The prices quoted by the main suppliers are quite consistent according to the above site. Seems a very long lead time for Amazon. Costco often sell the base models at reasonable prices. For an extra £50 I would get the lens.

Have you tried to fix the existing camera? I had that error message, I think, on a 40D and resolved it by cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera and removing and replacing the battery. The lens was the issue not the camera as it eventually died.

Thanks
I have tried cleaning the contacts battery and card removal etc nothing works for more than a few shots, I will try another lens though.
I do feel its about time she had a new one the WIFI alone will be better for her, she takes some good images so I don't mind spending

You might be able to get some money towards your new body by flogging the broken one on ebay.

You might be able to get some money towards your new body by flogging the broken one on ebay.
To answer a few questions the error started after it had water spilt on it, we removed the battery and card and tried to dry it out but whilst it worked initially it soon gave up

Whatever someone's willing to pay for it! Describe it honestly and see what you can get.

Thanks I wonder what its worth?
probably not a lot. If you sell it with its old kit lens maybe £40-50? £20-30 if sold as spares?
But still would cover some of the extra costs for getting the IS version.

Thanks looks like I will buy the IS version from John Lewis.
Just checked my holiday insurance they will cover part of it but want the original receipt or I loose 25%. not much chance of finding that! and the stores now closed!

Depending on how creative you are you could probably get £ 20+ for the dead 350D. I got £ 120 for a drowned 7D.

You could possibly get more if you sold charger/battery separately, handbook, box etc, assuming they are all in good condition.

The old kit lens has some value as well Assuming it works, then £ 15 - £ 25 depending on how nice an ebay advert you can create.

MPB have a 2nd hand 1300D for £239 if that helps

I have a 1300D with less than 1000 frames on the clock, 18-55 and 75-300 lenses used only on that body £290 all boxed and as new.

Hope she enjoys the camera. At least she wants to use a proper camera rather than a phone camera and she has a very supportive Dad.

Last edited:
Thanks Archie, she is way better than I will ever be!
I loved photography and did my C&G just before she was born, I know how hard it was for me so try to fully support her with it, I have travelled all over the place photographing derelict building, funfairs and all sorts of stuff.
Currently struggling to set up a dark room!

Back