Canon's new telephoto lenses:

EF 200mm f/2L IS USM
EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM.

What are they going to cost?

2291_supert__preview_01.jpg

2293_supert__preview_02.jpg

if ya have to ask
ya cain't afford it

It has been posted before on here, but if you read up about the 800mm you'll find that what was on show was just the lens barrel with no glass or electronics in it , but the 200mm f2 was a working prototype.

I would not hold my breath for the 800mm and guess at a 5 figure number for the price

Nice additions to the range - but both will be serious wonga no doubt!

It has been posted before on here, but if you read up about the 800mm you'll find that what was on show was just the lens barrel with no glass or electronics in it , but the 200mm f2 was a working prototype.

I would not hold my breath for the 800mm and guess at a 5 figure number for the price

This is what Canon say:

CPN said:
Canon has announced the development of two new telephoto lenses for use with its EOS SLR cameras: the EF 200mm f/2L IS USM and the EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM.

Classed as professional L lenses, both incorporate a high-performance image stabilizer, along with special optical materials such as fluorite to correct chromatic aberrations, and offer the highest levels of resolution and contrast.

With its large f/2 aperture, the EF 200mm f/2L IS USM targets photographers who are seeking a brighter lens for portraiture and indoor sports photography. The EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM, which will deliver telephoto performance surpassing the current EF 600mm f/4L IS USM lens, is being developed in response to requests from professional sports and news photographers for a high-performance lens that offers a longer focal distance.

More information on these lenses will be available in the early part of 2008.

the-digital-picture.com said:
Canon had the prototypes for both the Canon EF 200mm f/2 L IS USM Lens and the Canon EF 800mm f/5.6 L IS USM Lens on display (sans their hoods). The 800 was only under glass (and had no glass in it). It appears to be longer than a Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS USM Lens, but not as wide.

One of the two 200mm lenses at the show was functional and mounted on a 1D III and a Wimberley Tripod Head. Unfortunately, Canon would not let me put my CF card in the camera nor mount my body on the lens (and the lens was very carefully watched at all times - though I would have been compliant regardless). It appears to be a bit smaller than the discontinued Canon EF 200mm f/1.8 L USM Lens. Focusing is very fast as expected.

Price for that 800mm is going to be silly!

There is a 1200mm f5.6 isnt there, and that's a special order and costs approx £70,000 I believe...

Price for that 800mm is going to be silly!

There is a 1200mm f5.6 isnt there, and that's a special order and costs approx £70,000 I believe...

the 1200mm is now discontinued and cant be ordered at all, so if you want one you will have to persuade the people that have one of the 12 to part with it.

I know a Canon dealer (yes I do honest - and I managed to refrain from punching him too :D) who was once offered this lens - he suggested £62,000 as it's purchase price - from someone who apparently 'found it' tucked away in the garage of his new house. Reported to Police of course - outcome unknown

So on the basis that these are new Canon primes... about £3.50 seems reasonable to me??? Fair?

CT needs the 800mm one for his birds tits of course, but its min focus will be 1/4 mile to keep the cost under £10,000 methinks, so not much use really to anyone except the FBI :D

the 1200mm is now discontinued and cant be ordered at all, so if you want one you will have to persuade the people that have one of the 12 to part with it.

1) How do you know this pointless information? ;)

2) 12 is a very low number. Any idea which sort of people or companies bought these?

Didn't one of the 1200mm lenses make an appearance on Planet Earth for the Snow Leopard sequence?

Yeah I think so, must be for the swimwear issues :LOL:

Taken from Wikipedia

The Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L lens is a professional EF lens made by Canon that was introduced in 1993, six years after the launch of EOS cameras, and discontinued in 2005. The initial price for this lens was US$89,579. It weighs more than 36 pounds (16 kg), comes with its own heavy-duty tripod and case, and was built only by request. The focal length can be increased to 1700 mm f/8 or 2400 mm f/11 using the Canon EF Extenders 1.4× and 2× respectively. Few of these lenses exist; Sports Illustrated magazine owns two of them, as does Canon Professional Services and James Jannard, the billionaire founder of Oakley. [1]

CT needs the 800mm one for his birds tits of course, but its min focus will be 1/4 mile to keep the cost under £10,000 methinks, so not much use really to anyone except the FBI :D

:LOL:

Nah.. it holds no appeal for me. I can get 700mm 5.6 and 1000mm f8 with my 500mm depending which teleconverter I use, and I suspect you'll be able to put a larger image on the sensor using shorter glass and a smaller sensor, but I'm too tired to do the maths.

I suspect it will hold a lot of appeal for certain government agencies - who'll paint it matte black straight away, and of course the paparazzi will go crazy for it.

Back