Canon ip 7250 ink and driver advice

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Amazon have a good deal on this printer and I have seen posts on here of people owning this printer. I had a lower model 5 something or other that was really good.

I noticed in the blurb it said windows seven and xp only but after doing some research it looks like you can get drivers on the canon website for windows ten. Is this correct and would it solve the issue of not being able to use with windows ten out of the box.

Also I notice that generic ink replacements are available to numerous brands to mention on amazon that get good reviews and wondered if anyone had any experience with these ? and if any brands are better than others ?

Thanks Mark.

The driver update on the canon site will be fine you can also set w10 to run devices as old versions if not compatible.

If you're going to print images I would use the genuine ink.

The generic inks are a lot cheaper than the manufacturers own, and a lot of people are using them without a problem.

However, there are three areas where manufactures inks tend to be superior;

Fade Resistance - manufacturers inks often have a very long resistance to fading, which can be important if printing photos for framing, less so if you do not intend prints to be kept for long term display.

Colour Accuracy - if using 3rd party inks you may have to create your own colour profiles for printing if you are concerned about colour accuracy, with manufacturers inks (and paper) colour profiles will be built in.

Nozzle Blockage / Cleaning - 3rd party inks seem OK if you print regularly, but if you print less frequently, appear to be more liable to result in blocked nozzles, and when you do get blocked nozzles, the manufacturers own inks are more likely to successfully clear with a head clean.

The Win7/Vista disclaimer is for the Facebook print software which isn't compatible with XP, I've been running this printer for the last 4 years on a Win7 PC but I can test the driver on Win10 later if needed.

What are you looking to print? I've stuck with Canon XL tanks because my printing is infrequent now but I still like to run a batch of CD's or the odd photo print/document. Longest between uses was about 6 months and had no issues with blocked heads using genuine ink. I used compatibles in an old Epson and didn't have an issue in the year I had it for, not seen any fade on a handful of photos I printed for myself but they are kept in an album and not on display.

The biggest downside for this printer is start up time, can sometimes be as long as 90 seconds from pressing print to it actually starting the paper feed.

Had one of these printers for two or three years now without any problems

Only ever use ink from this company, have never let me down over the past ten years or more https://www.prink.co.uk

Yes it can take a while to get going and every now and then it does its ink charging thing, but where's the rush?

The drivers on the Canon site support Windows 10 and my 7250 works fine on my Windows 10 PC

Thanks for replies , its just general photo printing mainly 6x4 8x 10 etc thanks Tijuana and Scorpius good to know your using the printer and that I can get 3rd party inks that work well I am going to order printer and a set of inks today.

Just ordered the printer on amazon and got my student discount (even though I am 54 lol) so I paid only 38 pounds for the printer ! which I think is a great deal , I will order the inks later as rushing off for mty day realease from work at university

Thanks Mark

Just ordered the printer on amazon and got my student discount (even though I am 54 lol) so I paid only 38 pounds for the printer ! which I think is a great deal , I will order the inks later as rushing off for mty day realease from work at university

Thanks Mark
If you intend to use 3rd party in sell the genuine ink that is bundled with the printer on eBay. You will probably get £38 for them. You've then got a free printer!

Thanks Mark

Been using those inks I mentioned for years and my daughter printed reams of stuff through her degree course with them on my old Epson photo printer with no problems.

If you intend to use 3rd party in sell the genuine ink that is bundled with the printer on eBay. You will probably get £38 for them. You've then got a free printer!

I don't think it comes with fully loaded ink cartridges, lot better than some, but might be wise to check if anyone intended selling them on

Been using those inks I mentioned for years and my daughter printed reams of stuff through her degree course with them on my old Epson photo printer with no problems.

I don't think it comes with fully loaded ink cartridges, lot better than some, but might be wise to check if anyone intended selling them on
I'm pretty sure canon are the only ones to give you fill cartridges, but yes I agree always worth double checking before hand.

I'm pretty sure canon are the only ones to give you fill cartridges, but yes I agree always worth double checking before hand.

Must say I'm not completely sure either and you could well be right, ones on this printer did last well.
There again my previous printer was a Pixma 4600 and that definitely only came with about enough ink to see if the printer worked.

Yep, best check to avoid an irate Ebay buyer :)

New Canon printers would come with the standard capacity cartridges as opposed to the XL cartridges. Would also agree with @Faldrax about Compatible ink in that it can give a very slight difference in colour accuracy than OEMS. Usually slightly warmer than OEM inks but it varies by Manufacturer. We do however have quite a few customers that have commented that they prefer the tone of ours over OEMs. It's all subjective really, and each customer has their own requirements.

I work for MOD EDIT : A PRINTER INK SELLER and I know we have several photography businesses that have bought compatibles from us for years, most of which are Canon printer users by the way.

(BTW, if you want to advertise your company, please use the contact us link to apply for our generous advertising rates)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back