Canon IP8750 Opinions Please

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Just ordered a Canon IP8750, out of stock everywhere, but no cash has changed hands yet.
Looking for opinions please, got the option to cancel before it becomes available.

It will replace a Canon Pro 10, lovely printer, but very expensive for the keen hobbyist.
Just started a new set of inks and got one more complete set to insert when I sell it
Prints are great, but just dont use it enough to make it even vaguely economically viable.

Last edited:
I have the IX6850 slightly cheaper model
It replaced my IP7250
It's good enough for me

I have the IX6850 slightly cheaper model
It replaced my IP7250
It's good enough for me

Thanks, definitely want the 6 inks IP8750 and still not sure whether that's too much of a compromise.

I've got the IP8750, and it is fine - not great, but good value for money.

I use third party inks which are really cheap in comparison to the OEM.

One problem I have noticed is that the prints fade badly in the sun. Don't know if that would be any better with OEM inks, or if it just what you get with dye printers.

Getting true B&W has been a nightmare (I gave up on completely for quite a while) , but I seem to be OK at the moment (fingers crossed).

One problem I have noticed is that the prints fade badly in the sun. Don't know if that would be any better with OEM inks, or if it just what you get with dye printers.

Getting true B&W has been a nightmare (I gave up on completely for quite a while) , but I seem to be OK at the moment (fingers crossed).

Thanks Paul, sort of what I expected to hear, didn't expect it to be nearly the same as a printer costing twice or more.
Think It comes down to performance against cost and this looks like it could be that happy medium.
One other comparison in my case is IP8750 dye ink against Pro 10 pigment, latter is supposed to be better albeit dearer

Last edited:

Tried a cheap 3rd party ink some years back and it faded very quickly. Got some 10 year old prints using genuine ink and they're just starting to noticeably fade - they're in a conservatory! Older prints using genuine inks have lasted 15+ years with little noticeable fading, even though they're not behind glass. 3rd party inks might last long enough for greetings cards but not much else.

Decent B&W prints are all but impossible using CMYK, a couple of extra greys makes a big difference.

I'm very happy with my ip8750, not had any problems with prints fading, but I do always use genuine inks.
It sometimes goes several weeks without printing, and never had any nozzle issues.

I'm very happy with my ip8750, not had any problems with prints fading, but I do always use genuine inks.
It sometimes goes several weeks without printing, and never had any nozzle issues.

Thanks Jonathan, do you find it uses much ink up on the regular cleaning cycles?
Also roughly how much are you paying for a full set of genuine inks?

Must say I am thinking of going down the 3rd party route right from the start.
Been getting cartridges from the same company for 10-15 years with no issues of clogging or noticeable fading.
One printer using these inks saw my daughter through uni and she literally printed reams of paper on it.
Use the same make ink cartridges in my general purpose IP7250 and an IP4600 before it with no problems.

Never tried 3rd party on the Pro 10 and won't now especially if I pass it on to someone else.
Also the company I use do not make compatible cartridges for it otherwise I might have been tempted.
I like printing at home, but £100 plus quid for a set of inks is prohibitive especially given the wastage through irregular use.

Last edited:
A full set of inks is ~ £80 from Amazon, though the prices do vary.
I don't think it uses too much on cleaning cycles, but it's difficult to judge, as I print intermittently, and it also shares cartridges with a multi-function printer we have, so I'm not really tracking usage - I just buy as required to ensure I always have a full set of spares.

I did try the 3rd party route with my older Epson printer, after getting tired of paying OEM prices, but the printer head clogged within a year, and I've always stuck to OEM since.

Just to add, it's not only about longevity of the printer, it's also about availability - I'd rather pay the extra and know that when I want to print, it will work, rather than save and perhaps be unable to print when I want to.

A full set of inks is ~ £80 from Amazon, though the prices do vary.
I don't think it uses too much on cleaning cycles, but it's difficult to judge, as I print intermittently, and it also shares cartridges with a multi-function printer we have, so I'm not really tracking usage - I just buy as required to ensure I always have a full set of spares.

I did try the 3rd party route with my older Epson printer, after getting tired of paying OEM prices, but the printer head clogged within a year, and I've always stuck to OEM since.

Thanks for that, at 80 quid a set I might as well keep my existing printer so would definitely be 3rd party on the IP8750.
Hard call especially as the prints are so nice from the Pro 10, but cost is very high for relatively few prints
Now me and the missus have retired its a bit pricey, still been at work I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Just to add, it's not only about longevity of the printer, it's also about availability - I'd rather pay the extra and know that when I want to print, it will work, rather than save and perhaps be unable to print when I want to.

That is true, but a nozzle check and clean when inks are a tenner a set isn't an issue.
If I turn my current printer off for a while it does its big 480 hour clean which probably costs about 20 or 30 quid in ink

Thanks for that, at 80 quid a set I might as well keep my existing printer so would definitely be 3rd party on the IP8750.
Hard call especially as the prints are so nice from the Pro 10, but cost is very high for relatively few prints
Now me and the missus have retired its a bit pricey, still been at work I wouldn't have thought twice about it.
I do notice that it's the 3 primary colours that get replaced most for me, so I'm not buying a full set very often - this spreads the cost, so makes it more bearable :)

That is true, but a nozzle check and clean when inks are a tenner a set isn't an issue.
If I turn my current printer off for a while it does its big 480 hour clean which probably costs about 20 or 30 quid in ink
I don't think the ip8750 does anything like that level of cleaning - mine will quite often be unused for 2-3 weeks, so I would definitely notice if I had to replace cartridges every 2-3 months from head cleaning.
Note that with my pattern of usage I've never had a blocked nozzle on this printer - it does sometimes whir an chug a pit when I turn it on though (30-60s or so?)

I do notice that it's the 3 primary colours that get replaced most for me, so I'm not buying a full set very often - this spreads the cost, so makes it more bearable :)

Without sounding frivolous I would be happy if I got 2 or 3 years from a 200 quid printer using tenner a time sets of ink.
That's about two or three sets of ink for my Pro 10 and taking cleaning into account probably a lot less prints.

Still undecided though, those pigment prints with the Chroma Optomiser coat are rather nice.
Heart ruling head (and wallet) I think, so probably not the wise choice.

IP8750 now arrived and Pro 10 for sale in the classifieds.
Got more into messing about with publishing software so can't see me doing much printing at home for a while.
Oh well, it won't rot away and can stay in the box for now

I saw your Pro 10, a really nice bargain but I just haven't got the space for it.
I currently have the ip8750 it's a really good printer and takes much less room.

I saw your Pro 10, a really nice bargain but I just haven't got the space for it.
I currently have the ip8750 it's a really good printer and takes much less room.

Having second thoughts, got a brand new unopened IP8750 sat in the spare room.
Not sure if I will be happy compromising on print quality, but won't know how much worse it is without giving it a try.
Stuck between the devil and the deep Blue sea with this one, haven't got room for both whatever happens.

Having second thoughts, got a brand new unopened IP8750 sat in the spare room.
Not sure if I will be happy compromising on print quality, but won't know how much worse it is without giving it a try.
Stuck between the devil and the deep Blue sea with this one, haven't got room for both whatever happens.

Most people claimed there wasn't discernible difference in quality. Pigment ink supposedly gives you better longevity than dye based ink used in ip8750.
But the ip8750 seemed to be the budget (cost and space) option with no real compromises on quality as per research 3 years ago.
I've been using it for more than 3 years now and I have been very pleased with it's quality. I do advise buying OEM inks though. I have run into problems with most 3rd options.

Most people claimed there wasn't discernible difference in quality. Pigment ink supposedly gives you better longevity than dye based ink used in ip8750.
But the ip8750 seemed to be the budget (cost and space) option with no real compromises on quality as per research 3 years ago.
I've been using it for more than 3 years now and I have been very pleased with it's quality. I do advise buying OEM inks though. I have run into problems with most 3rd options.

Thanks, I know the 8750 is the sensible option, but still cant decide.

I've been using the ip8750 and OEM inks for about three years now and never had any issues with it. I use Fotospeed's own papers as well as others they distibute and they will produce an icc profle free of charge for any of these papers. I have found them to be really accurate and they make proofing and printing a breeze - providing you calibrate your monitor of course.

Back