Canon kit lens upgrade

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what would be a good upgrade for the Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM lens that came with my 750D. Being a bit of a newbie to the world of dslr's I don't know a great deal on what's good & what's not, tbh the kit lens seems ok to me & the AF is silent but it's more the built quality of the lens that I don't like (seems cheaply made) & i'm not overly keen on the manual focus mainly when trying to get infinity focus.

The Canon 15-85 is better built, but the 17-55 2.8 is the real ‘upgrade’ but it’s expensive.

The Tamron 2.8 non-VC is regarded as the best vfm alternative.

Manual focus is never that good on modern lenses. It is the downside of fast autofocus coupled with a plain focus screen in the camera.

The Canon 15-85 is better built, but the 17-55 2.8 is the real ‘upgrade’ but it’s expensive.

The Tamron 2.8 non-VC is regarded as the best vfm alternative.
Agree with Phil, the Canon 17-55 for an APS-C sensor, top notch lens ( thats why I bought one (y) )

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Not cheap and is it really worth it

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Not cheap and is it really worth it

Well that’s a very subjective question.

To me it is, the Tamron may be just as sharp, the Sigma is pants (the only lens I’ve ever returned), the Canon is optically brilliant and focuses as fast as an L lens.

Others might prioritise VFM and be happy with the sharp but slower to use Tamron, even the Sigma has fans, which I think is just weird.

Definitely the Canon 17-55 if you are going to be staying on APS-C sensor Canon's for the foreseeable future. Even if you aren't they hold their value very well. It is the best lens for Canon crop sensor cameras hands down.

the Canon is optically brilliant and focuses as fast as an L lens.

Pretty much the only reason it doesn't get the L is that is's not an EF lens, just EF-S - but it's L standard in everything but the mount and image circle size. Lovely lens.

Thanks for the feed back & sorry for the late reply but had the granddaughter stopping with us. I can't see me parting company with my 750D any time soon so will see if I can pick up a EF-S 17-55 lens second hand or at least start saving up for one, I had been thinking of possibly the Tamron version but after your views I might hold back unless I come across one nice & cheap

Don't discount the 15-85mm. Brilliant walkabout lens for the EF-S format. I bought one for my lad's 600D and was presently surprised at how good it is for the money.

Don't discount the 15-85mm. Brilliant walkabout lens for the EF-S format. I bought one for my lad's 600D and was presently surprised at how good it is for the money.
I agree. Have had mine for a few years now, very pleased with it as a walkabout lens.

Ive had a nightmare with 3 copies of the 17-55 f/2.8. My first one (had it for 5 years when it first came out) was spot on, but after selling it and getting a 15-85 (much nicer lens IME), i tired to get another 17-55. Two copies form different sources were de centred. Skip a few years to when i got a 80D, and i tried to love the 17-55 f/2.8. The AF was so erratic i had to send that one back as well. More sfot shots than i would expect at this price point. Ended up with a 18-135 USM Nano and a couple of cheap primes. These have none of the issues the 17-55 had. Funny thing is this latest 17-55 was much more reliable on my old 650D.

People say the 17-55 is 'L in all but name', but there are also varying degrees of 'L' lenses. id say its closer to a 17-40L than a higher end L lens. Plus its not weather sealed.

Other than lens creep i have nothing negative to say about the 15-85 that i had, and this would be my choice

What about a canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 is? Quite a nice versatile lightweight lens.

What about a canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 is? Quite a nice versatile lightweight lens.
On a crop camera the 28mm turns out to be not very wide, so it really doesn't suit if you're looking for a walkabout lens. I had this with my 24-105, so found I was always swapping between that and the 10-22 when using it on the 50D.

What is your preferred photographic subject?

Back