Canon Kits Lens Replacement

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Chaps,

I've been thinking about replacing the Kit lens that came with the 400D (17-55)

I've been looking at these two.

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens

or

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens

Has any one used these lens if so what are you views etc...

Many Thanks (y)

Andy

Just bought a EFS 17-85IS from a fellow forum member and very pleased with it, the increased range is nice but the sharpness is miles better. IS is a nice feature too.

But it may not have enough reach for some people as a general lens, but it suits my requirements.

Mr Perceptive

Ive an EFS 17-85 IS, that I no longer use/need.

The motors and optics are all spot on, but it has aproblem tho', the manual focusing ring doesnt (it slips around mostly). Keep debating sending it off to get fixed, but will sell as is for £100 inc P&P (ono).
PM me if you want it.

Just bought a EFS 17-85IS from a fellow forum member and very pleased with it, the increased range is nice but the sharpness is miles better. IS is a nice feature too.

But it may not have enough reach for some people as a general lens, but it suits my requirements.

Mr Perceptive

Thats just the type of comment i'm looking for :D

Andy

Personally I think that 28mm is too longer focal length for a walkabout type lens on a Crop Sensor. The Sigma 17-70 is well liked, but it doesn't have so longer reach and has no IS. I only paid fractionally more for a one month old 17-85 IS than a new Sigma 17-70 costs.

Mr Perceptive

If I had 100 quid I'd bite Pauls hand off!

.... wonders if he can convince wife we NEED another lens :thinking:

I really like the 17-85mm IS but having owned both I'd recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 even more highly - it's super sharp. Gets lots of very positive reviews.

I got a 28-135 for my wife (no, not a swap deal).

Initially the images were all too dark...but then she took the lens cap off and exposure improved greatly.;)

Seriously...it looks the part and sits nicely on her 350. I've been allowed to play with it and it does everything you'd want from a lens of that price. If it's to be your only lens at this stage then the longer legs will be a bonus over the 17-85 and should compare favourably with it... both being 5X zooms.

Bob

Back