Canon L series - Just how good?

Name
Wayne
Edit My Images
No
I'm considering venturing into the world of L series lenses, namely the 70-200 2.8 IS model for starters but as it's a fairly big investment I need to justify it to the negative voices in my head! Is there a real 'wow' factor when you nail a shot compared to a 'regular' EF/S lens or do the results need to be scrutinised? Has any body got any like for like shots they could post, doesn't matter which model, just to give an idea?

don't have like-for-like
but do have the lens
someone lent me one to try - I was hooked immediately
IS is wonderful
f/2.8 is great
and L class lenses are stunning
apart from good quality, they are weatherproofed and hold their 2nd hand value

imho ymmv caveat emptor etc etc etc

I don't have a true comparison between an L and a non-L, but during the first proper session out I had with my 70-200mm f/4 L (at Chester Zoo), I spent most of the day with a grin on my face, because it was such a joy to use - near-instant focus, and sharp as you like:

ele.jpg

simian.jpg

Hi I agree too I've got the 70-200 F4L its superb really sharp
Pete

I'm never going to buy a lens that isn't L seris ever again, they are soooo worth the extra money.

Check here and select the correct lens

Watch the weight of the 2.8 unless you need it for indoors

Sutters dont be to hasty

There certainly can be a "wow" factor but this can also be achieved with some of the better non-L lenses too. You will probably find that some non-L's will focus faster than the equivalent L. The non-L's are probably lighter and almost certainly cheaper to buy.
Contrast is generally better with L class glass and build quality usually superior.

If the your current lens is limiting the quality of your images then an L will probably get you better results but it won't do it without your input.

Pick of the zooms would likely be the any of the 70-200 series whilst short primes are lead by the 85L and longer ones by the 400L (if we're avoiding the low light super telephoto's)

Bob

The 70-200 f/2.8 IS is a great lens, though it is much heavier than the 70-200 f/4 IS; you might want to think about whether you really need the f/2.8.

Canon "L" lenses are generally very good to excellent, of course, but I would suggest you don't want to get too snobby about it. For example the 85mm f/1.8 isn't an "L" but it's very sharp and it focusses much faster than the 85mm f/1.2 L. Also, there are some excellent EF-S lenses - the 10-22mm and the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS spring to mind - which are every good as bit as some of Canon's "L" offerings, but don't have the red ring around them simply because they're EF-S.

Be under no doubts, L series is expensive, but if you ask me it's worth every single penny.

You definitely get superb build quality with the L lenses but there are plenty of canon lenses that give them a pretty genuine run for their money in terms of image quality

e.g.
17-55 f/2.8IS
10-22
50 f/1.4
85 f/1.8
100 f/2.8 macro
etc.

don't forget to have a look at the EX series from Sigma too, that's their equivelent of canon's L range, though generally not as good they are still a fantastic range of lenses and cheaper than the canon equivelents.

On topic, after starting on the slippery slope of the red L, i'd never go back to a budget lens again now, i started with the 70-200F/4 L which is canons best value L lens without a doubt, i wentout a couple of weeks ago and bought a 24-105 F/4 L too which is also a fantastic lens, perfectly weighted for a walkabout lens, i didn't need any wider because i have my sigma 10-20. Canons 17-55 EF-S lens is on a par with L quality but cannot be classed as an L lens because it's designed for cropped sensors therefore won't fit on Canons pro bodies (1DsMk3 etc).

I have a number of L lenses and they are worth the price. No matter what event I am shooting it is rare that I don't have a 70-200/2.8 IS on a 2nd body close to me, I use it for everything from sports and motorsports to weddings and studio/portrait. Canon's best zoom lens in my opinion. Well worth the cost and weight. :)

Back