Canon Lens Advice

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I would love some lens advice, I currently have a canon 50d with the stock lens which is the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens

I am going on holiday next month to a dream location and I have been considering buying a new lens, either in addition or to replace the kit lens.

I have a f/1.8 50mm lens which I love, it was cheap as chips and it's light so I am going to take that anyway. Thing is I am not sure whether to replace my existing general lens or buy a new prime.

Someone in my family has the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom and they love it, but I am not sure whether to go for it or not.

I have also been looking at the Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L USM but not sure if this is a bit beyond my budget as it's very expensive and whether I am buying something my skill level won't fully utilise.

Any other suggestions would be greatly received. Something with a high aperture would be the dream as I will be mostly hand holding the camera and will be taking a lot of photos in low light but understand my budget might not stretch to this.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I had a 17-85mm and I liked the IS, USM and 17-85mm range but I wasn't impressed with the image quality at all. I replaced mine with a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and I think that these are well worth a look... there's also the very similar Sigma 18-50mm f2.8. These lenses have a shorter focal range but the ability to shoot at 50mm at f2.8 is handy.

Other than a 17-50mm f2.8 you could look at a 28 or 30/35mm f1.8?

With all of these you may save some cash by looking for a nice used bargain.

I think that superzooms make good day out or holiday lenses but the downsides include size and relatively slow apertures.

Last edited:
The Canon 17-55 2.8 can be bought for a reasonable used price. Very nice lens - and a wide aperture throughout - but you'll lose a little at the far end compared to your current zoom. But you still have legs - so don't worry too much.

Huge help, really appreciate the advice so far everyone, just had a quick look on ebay and it seems I can get the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 for about £170 and the Canon 17-55 2.8 for about £360, both used prices mind. The canon does have slightly better reviews, but then again you would expect that for the price difference.

The Canon costs more and it's bigger. The Canon wasn't out when I got the Tamron (this was years ago) but to be honest even if the Canon has an edge in image quality I'd go for the Tamron or the Sigma today as they're smaller and lighter.

Tamron also do a 55-200mm which is well reagrded and very cheap, about £90 new.

PS.
I think that the Tamron and Sigma 17-50mm f2.8's can be had either with or without IS? Worth thinking about.

Last edited:
I just noticed this, I think the model I found on ebay was a 2007 mode without IS, I think it'd be worth going for IS. I think with IS (2010) model it is about £200 on ebay, so not much more.

Thanks a lot Morbid, not sure if that pistonheads review has helped make it easier, haha, people are enthusiastic about each of them! I'll start doing some more investigating. That one guy at the end of the pistonheads post seems very passionate about the canon 17-55.

Unfortunately I cannot see the classifieds yet, you need to be a member for 60days :-(

Last edited:
One option is the sigma 17-70mm f2.4-4 OS(IS). I loved that lens, and only got shut when I moved to L glass.

Getting one of the Tamron super zoom lenses is ok, but IQ will inevitably suffer

Last edited:
Based on your requirements regarding handholding in low light, I would look at replacing the kit lens with something in the 17-50mm range which goes to F2.8.

I have a 50D and I had the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 VC for a while and it was brilliant.

If you are not looking to go full frame in future and not looking to spend a fortune either, I would consider selling the kit lens and getting either the Sigma or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

If you want landscapes look at something wide, Sigma 10-20mm for example.
If you want a walkabout lens which goes wide enough but also zooms then look at something 17-50mm.
If you want an allrounder and are not keen on changing lenses then look at the Tamron 18-270mm that you mentioned above.

Personally I wouldn't spend my own money on the Canon 17-55 over the Sigma or the Tamron but others might.

You could probably get a Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm AND a Sigma 10-20mm for really wide shots for the same price as the Canon 17-55!
Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
I used to have the 15-85 on my 7D. Great lens, very different to the 17-85 with superd build quality. Was very happy with the image quality. Only sold it because I went to full frame. It's a good range, limiting yourself to 55 will be limiting IMHO. Keep the nifty 50 for your low light shots.

I used to have the 15-85 on my 7D. Great lens, very different to the 17-85 with superd build quality. Was very happy with the image quality. Only sold it because I went to full frame. It's a good range, limiting yourself to 55 will be limiting IMHO. Keep the nifty 50 for your low light shots.

The lens gets very good reviews and it goes to 85mm but it's not a constant f2.8. I suppose it all depends on priorities, the 15-85mm goes to 85mm but the appeal of the Tamron and Sigma f2.8's for me is that they're relatively compact and light and yet have good image quality and give you the advantage of being able to shoot at f2.8 for reasons of depth of field creativity or to obtain a higher shutter speed or lower ISO or some combination of both :D

The Tamron 17-50 gets good following and reviews and certainly worth looking at - they do, as you are aware both with and without IS, the Canon 17-55 IS lens is a belter, but carries a price tag - probably as near to an L lens from Canon without it being one...

Another option os the Canon 15-85 lens as has been suggested

Someone in my family has the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom and they love it, but I am not sure whether to go for it or not.

I have also been looking at the Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM but not sure if this is a bit beyond my budget as it's very expensive and whether I am buying something my skill level won't fully utilise.

I'm not a fan of the superzoom or all in one lenses, I can see there appeal, but feel you can loose quality...

The Canon 24-70F4 is a big step up in lens and if you can afford one and it's the right focal length for you, then go for it, it is certainly one I would look at if I was in the market for this focal length...

I have a Canon 17-55 f2.8 which has been used with a number of bodies, 50D, 60D and most recently my 7D Mk1 and it's been spectacular. It doesn't get a lot of use these days as I also have a 6D, but I won't let it go because it's as close to being an L lens as you can get without it actually being one....

Hi everyone, just wanted to say a massive thanks for all the advice, I have been researching endlessly this past week and your help has been much appreciated. So I have boiled down to the following 2 choices...Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or the Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

I came very close to the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC HSM or the Tamron 24-70 mm F2.8 VC USD but I have read a few reviews about problems with the auto focus on the sigma and the image stabilisation on the Tamron so that had put me off, which is frustrating as they appear to be incredible value. I know the Tamron comes with a none IS version but I think I will have situations where it'll come in handy.

The 17-55 2.8 seems to be the front runner at the moment and seems to get consistently good reviews and comments from users, but it does seem to carry a premium price tag! I was very tempted by the L series lens I mentioned, but I think the addition of IS will be very beneficial to me when I cannot use a tripod.

Thanks again anyway, I definitely chose the right place to come find advice, a great group

I think if you look around you'll find a 17-55 f2.8 for around £400 or less.

I bought mine used, 2 years ago for £500 and for general photography it was hardly ever off of my 7D, and has only been on the bench since I bought my 6D & 24-105 f4. I'm just about to buy a 7D Mk2 and the 17-55 will go back on the 7D for the Mrs to use. I did think about selling it, but it was just too good to "dump".

Back