Canon Lens Problem

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
My friend's Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS has a problem.

i use the same lens but not the IS version.

Before i explain the problem, i'll tell you that the camera body is not the problem as i have tested it on mine (its the same model Canon EOS 450D) andi tested my lens on hers. the problem is definatly with the lens. it has a Jessops UV filter on it.

It has 2 problems actually.

One is that the filter wont come off. she got it with the filter already attached and it has never been off. I was bought Second hand from amazon UK (she thinks) a few months ago.

The other is that when on auto-focus it is having trouble focusing. it seems to me (i've been using the same camera for almost 4 years) that it is trying to focus on a smudge on the inside surface of the filter. I have cleaned the outside surface with no effect.

when i use manual focus to unfocus it, then switch back to auto it can focus on the first thing it is pointed and take the shot, but any further attempts to focus fail and the auto focus confirmation light flashes and the shutter wont fire until i unfocus it again on manual.

i think that is all the details. a speedy reply would be much appriciated as she is leaving for another country tomorrow morning and i wont be able to help her fix it then.

Removing the filter - buy a filter spanner, or use one of those rubber circles for removing jam jar lids!

As for the faulty lens - these are too low cost to make a repair worthwhile if removal of the filter doesn't sort the problem.

Phil

jam jar lid remover worked thank you.

still have the AF problem unfortunately.

any suggestions? or self repair options?

the little red HUD lights that usually indicates that its in focus flash when its attempting to focus but it still isnt achieving focus. i can here the motor moving for an instant and then nothing. its as if its giving up

Sounds like the AF drive has gone in the lens, have you tried focussing in a perfectly lit room? Is the camera set to Auto or in manual? The reason I ask is that say you're in manual and you've knocked the aperture value to F22 etc and you're in a dark room, it won't focus due to not enough light getting to the sensor to compensate for the focus. As Phil said, it's a cheap lens, they go for £40 for the IS version so you may aswell try for a partial refund through Amazon if it's warranted or sell it as spares or repair on eBay and buy another etc :)

was hoping not to have to get a new lens as she is traveling tomorrow

i have checked all the settings for aperture and exposure in both auto and manual, and like i said i have tried in on 2 different camera bodies of the same model. and i've tried in in various lighting low, high and just right.

where can you get it for £40 by the way, just so we know.

eBay, they also sell on here for quite cheap, but depending on how long you've been on the forum you may not have access to the classifieds etc

Back